Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor home security camera system

DRZ911

Mugello
Anyone recommend an outdoor home security camera system with phone link for watching the car on the driveway?

We just bought a load of products from 'Ring'. I'm not that fussed about the doorbell thing, but the cameras seem pretty good. You can choose between wired or battery powered (rechargeable via USB), and one of the models comes with floodlight and siren (clearly you can customise what actually makes the siren go off!)

Only installed the first camera yesterday and the floodlight model is on order, but all good so far

We have the wired ring floodlights with camera, for over a year. I would comment this:

They need WiFi to work - and a strong signal.
The resolution on a moving (5-10mph) vehicle is not good enough to see the number plate (unless the resolution and frame rate has changed since we bought ours).
You need an online subscription to save the footage (£5 per month).

The interface and other uses are excellent, though. They are easy as pie to set up (make sure you can reach the box when you set it up, you may need to press the button on the top).

I have an issue with the WiFi and I think if I bought again I am not sure I would go with ring, mainly for the resolution.

I've been using the Nest outdoor cameras for the last 4 years and never had a problem.

I also use a Ring floodlight camera but that only records events.

rickprice said:
We have the wired ring floodlights with camera, for over a year. I would comment this:

They need WiFi to work - and a strong signal.
The resolution on a moving (5-10mph) vehicle is not good enough to see the number plate (unless the resolution and frame rate has changed since we bought ours).
You need an online subscription to save the footage (£5 per month).

The interface and other uses are excellent, though. They are easy as pie to set up (make sure you can reach the box when you set it up, you may need to press the button on the top).

I have an issue with the WiFi and I think if I bought again I am not sure I would go with ring, mainly for the resolution.

So can that be disabled with a wifi jammer?

It really depends on what compromises you want to make, your self install ability and budget....

Wifi v cabled will always be a compromise especially depending on number of cameras, picture quality etc.......wired using POI Balluns will always be the best solution ....but for many WIFI solutions do the job

DVR the main makes all offer similar features so it really comes down to disk capacity and redundancy......by way of example on an 8 camera system I have an 8GB disk that offers c30 days recording in HD colour.......all should offer access via a phone app

If you do look at cable solutions IP systems are more flexible but more costly than the older analogue tech, more suited to large commercial systems but the price differential is closing (I'm a few years out of date with pricing)....

And finally the quality of camera makes a massive difference, there are 3 or 4 main makes, the rest tend to be clones or older tech rebranded

If your looking for a reasonable system I would start by getting a quote from a professional local company, they should spec a detailed solution / proposal for you based on your needs. You can then go with that or use it to spec your own system and DIY........I got a system professionally installed but have added / adapted it as my needs changed on a DIY basis.......

Other considerations are :

- think about where you locate the DVR, they do make a noise and can overheat/fans work overtime, should be somewhere secure but allow access by HDMI to a TV for setup etc........

- think about power, I run mine off a UPS which can power both the DVR and cameras for c60 minutes if the power supply is cut off, that alone can cost as much as a cheap system

Lots of choice out there now to suit any budget :thumb:

If they are going to pinch your car, they're going to pinch it.

FZP said:
If they are going to pinch your car, they're going to pinch it.

Agreed but I still believe showing that you care / are prepared to try to prevent it they will pick another car if they have a choice ie CCTV is a visible deterrent that means you are more likely to have others :wink:

I would like to recommend this K-9 unit. Very robust intelligent system but susceptible to food bribes and easily distracted by cats and squirrels otherwise
very effective deterrent.

Attachments

• b2f152cb_c857_4a90_9a07_fe6d4c0c686c_148.jpeg
    b2f152cb_c857_4a90_9a07_fe6d4c0c686c_148.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 5,620
Plus the dog food is is a business expense right?

Seriously though it sounds easier to move somewhere safer of build a high wall to enclose your property

I use Netgear Arlo.

Firstly I had no mains power so they run on batteries, and secondly you get 30 days free recording (motion only).

Porkaholic said:
I would like to recommend this K-9 unit. Very robust intelligent system but susceptible to food bribes and easily distracted by cats and squirrels otherwise
very effective deterrent.

Dog theft is on the rise as well :nooo:

He doesn't like being picked up! A couple of years ago he caught and detained a drunk lad trying to pinch the number plate off my wife's Mini which was parked on our property off the road behind gates. Never seen anyone sober up so quick.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back