Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

KW suspension upgrade?

jonm

My car is a manual 997.2, non PASM. 84k miles. I've done a couple of track days and anticipate doing a max of 3 or 4 a year. At last service I was advised front and rear shocks need replacing (including front mounts). I've been offered a price for OEM and also for a KW upgrade. About 10% more price wise. All this from JZM, so a reputable shop. I like the idea of the car sitting a little lower, but don't want to mess un-necessarily with a my otherwise standard car.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has made this change - any experience to share?

I've not tried the kw but i do know jzm. if you can articulate to them exactly what you are looking for they can tailor your geo and set up. First thing is to think about your end goal i.e. how can you improve current suspension set up for you? :wink:

It depends on the KWs - but I'd consider the v3s (if not the Clubsports for your application) for the adjustability.

Or actually, if I didn't have PASM on my 997, I'd fit à–hlins R&T instead.

We have had good experience with à–hlins on our other project cars which are used both on road and track. An adjuster knob fell off my friends car this summer, to our surprise (it just wasn't there when we got to the track) and the support was great: they sent two new knobs by return.

MaxA said:
they sent two new knobs by return.

There are usually the occasional knob at track day spoiling it for others. Please the ones that turned up to yours where able to improve the suspension. :floor:

I've got Bilstein B16's on the 997 with Eibach anti roll bars and DSC. I've got KW's on another car with H&R anti roll bars. Both are great. You'll probably be fine with any higher end coilover, supported by a decent geo to compliment what you want from the car. Coilovers will allow them to set the corner balance.

KW and some other brands now also offer adjustable springs, so you can set the ride height where you want it, and corner balance the car but keep the OE dampers if you prefer.

jonm said:
My car is a manual 997.2, non PASM. 84k miles. I've done a couple of track days and anticipate doing a max of 3 or 4 a year. At last service I was advised front and rear shocks need replacing (including front mounts). I've been offered a price for OEM and also for a KW upgrade. About 10% more price wise. All this from JZM, so a reputable shop. I like the idea of the car sitting a little lower, but don't want to mess un-necessarily with a my otherwise standard car.
I'd love to hear from anyone who has made this change - any experience to share?

I'd be seeking a second opinion as to whether the work really needs to be undertaken, before rushing in and lining JZM's pockets ...
Top mounts probably are past their best, but just because the dampers have done circa 80K miles, doesn't mean they're toast (unless they're leaking or knocking)
A lot of Indy's are generating huge bills because 'their inspection" has highlighted 'issues". So ask yourself this :
Did you think the suspension was sub-optimal prior to taking the car in ?
Are the dampers leaking, or were they knocking ? If not ask JZM why they think they need replacing ...

1marc said:
MaxA said:
they sent two new knobs by return.

There are usually the occasional knob at track day spoiling it for others. Please the ones that turned up to yours where able to improve the suspension. :floor:

There are indeed, one that sticks in the memory is the Cayenne driver who went off at the first corner, into the gravel, and who then in his great wisdom then came back onto the track, and then went off again around the next sequence and then finally - to add insult to injury - came back on again.

I don't really care what damage he did - it was self inflicted - but he closed the track for half an hour as about 1km needed cleaning of all the gravel, mud and grass deposited in two long streaks. Not to mention the ones that suddenly developed in all the following cars... :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back