Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Boxster Buying advice?

SimonH81

Hi,

New to this forum but looking for some help. Looking to buy a Boxster for the Mrs and spending up to £15K

So, what is everybody's advice. I've done a small bit of research so far and found that in 2009 they had both mechanical and cosmetic upgrades so would probably be looking at a 2009 car. It wont be doing many miles maybe 7k per year

What would be the model to go for?

2.7, 2.9. 3.2, 3.4?? Im guessing road tax would be significantly more on a 3.0 +

Anything specific to look out for or check its had it done

Manual is my first though as less to go wrong and where the auto/ paddle transmissions anywhere near as good 11 years ago but recently saw a 10 reg 2.9 with PDK box for sale at decent money

What your advice folks??

2009 onwards Pdk gen 2 is the safest .. no set issues on these cars other than to keep the rear drains free from leaves etc .

Pre gen 2 and you have possible .. if rare bore score issues .

good budget to get a nice 987.2........they where more than just a face lift :wink:

There is an overlap of 2009 cars from .1 to .2 cars but you can tell from the interior easily to spot if in doubt.....

You can download the .2 brochure from...

2010 987 Porsche Boxster - Brochure - UK

No two Porsche's are the same as there where plenty of options, some standard on an S etc.... the brochure will give you an idea.....

PDK v manual is a personal thing, the PDK is and was one of the best auto options on the market .....

Popular options are:

- PASM (adaptive suspension)
- PSE (Porsche sport exhaust ie a button to make it louder)
- sport chrono (optional engine mapping by pressing a button and extra dial on top of the dash)
- full leather
- sports seats
- even things like parking sensors and full climate control are options on a Porsche lol

Great cars, have fun :thumb:

This is a great forum and if you are 100% set on a Boxster, also have a look at Boxa.net. I had a 2005 2.7 987 for 3 years and loved it. Tax around that period is either £250/260 or £550 for very similar cars. Some people are not bothered by it but out of principle I wouldn't pay the higher rate, which rules out a few cars.

There is an extremely well presented and maintained 2003 986 3.2S for sale on Boxa.net at the moment, in dark metallic blue. I don't know the car or the owner but it does look good!

Good luck with your search.

There is also my immaculate 986S in the classified here with full leather, 18"s, sports heated seats and cruise . With only 17,900 miles it's likely one of the nicest 986 available. Mint underneath as well.

Some good points already made here, much as I love my 986, as a car for more nominal car duties, I preferred my 987.

Gen2 supposed to be more bullet proof, I went Gen1 with all the options however, didn't lose a wink of sleep. Sold it 15,000m later for not much less than I paid for it.

I would say extended leather and Sport Chrono are a must personally. PASM nice if you can get it and don't plan on modding the suspension. That said, you can retrofit SC or an aftermarket box to 'map the throttle' to make it feel more lively.

I'm wary of boxa.net in that it has some lovely people, but also has some prize plums, you're way better off on here IMO. Doesn't mean you can't buy a car from one of the aforementioned decent folk, I just found it a less fun place to reside.

The return of Marty Wild said:
I'm wary of boxa.net in that it has some lovely people, but also has some prize plums, you're way better off on here IMO. Doesn't mean you can't buy a car from one of the aforementioned decent folk, I just found it a less fun place to reside.

I hope I'm not included in the prize plum category :mrgreen: I am Boxsterless now but still poke my head in on boxa.net to see what's going on

I go onto boxa.net but generally find it less "stimulating" than on here :grin:

I got ridiculed for buying an original OEM absolutely mint carbon centre console for £450 :grin: .....their logic being that they are two a penny and there where 3 others for sale.......the fact that they are one of the rarest OEM parts, cost >£2k when new and the 3 they referred to where actually 2 (ie one was advertsied twice), where both materially damaged / cracked and being sold a "discount" of £750+ was not relevant apparently :?: .....needless to say there has been no sign of anything similar in the past 6 months but what do I know about Porsches ..... and carbon parts :hand:

Boxsters are great. I've had three generations:

986 (one of the first with 2.5 engine)
2x 987s (One a 3.2S 2005 and one a 3.4S 2008)
Currently I own a 981S PDK
And I have just placed a deposit on a 718 Boxster GTS 4.0
(as well as a 911 seen below)

I'd go for the Gen 2 if you can as they have a better PCM (stereo) with Bluetooth. But none of the cars I owned had any of the issues people always talk about.

Going off subject a little, I was on Boxa.net for years. Until they pretty much all turned on me because I told a story of how I parked in an empty carpark at Warrington Hospital to collect some pills after being discharged that day. I double parked and some bloke was shouting at my then missus who was in the car (I was not). His complaint was that I was double parked (in a 911 Turbo) and I was saying that he was crazy as the carpark had 11 cars in it and was designed for 150-200. They all started giving me ***** like the guy in the car did to my missus. asshats. I told them where they could stick it and left.

You can still read it I think, just search isysman. Mostly a bunch of losers with one or two exceptions, I wouldn't bother with them.

Thanks folks,

So it looks like a Gen 2 is the one to go for. I would say it would probably be a 2.9 as there seem to be plenty about and to be honest its pointless paying the extra annual tax when the Mrs wouldn't know the difference in a 2.9 or a 3.4.

So, is there anything particular I should be looking out for? Any noises to listen for when cold or warm, any tell tale signs of anything.

From what people have said they seem to be pretty reliable. Johnttt thanks for the brochure. Not had time to have a full read through yet properly but are there any obvious interior things I would be able to spot on Autotrader pics to ensure its a Gen 2 car if on an 09 plate?

Thanks Again! :thumb:

A 2.9 will be a good car. There isn't 'that' much difference between the two in terms of performance. Only that most of the S models came was standard with a better spec than the non S models.

Look behind the seats and along sills for damp carpets. This can come from the rear clamshell drainage being blocked. Easy to resolve but there are electronics under the seats that can get damaged if it does get flooded.

Damp side sills can be from the seal around the door being perished.

Check disk brakes for damage around the drilled hols as they can start cracking.

Check the roof operation, make sure it goes up and down smoothly.Make sure it tucks in to the guides on either side of the roof. If it sits on the outside then a new part is required to pull the fabric in as it raises.

Coolant radiators and air conditioning condensers. Make sure the AC works properly. They are prone to stone damage and are not that cheap to repair (although not that expensive to buy and fit yourself).

If manual check the clutch operation. A heavy clutch means a new one is needed soon. And it's not cheap to have one fitted (about £700-1000 last time I did it). Listen for a clicking sound coming from the rear of the car also. One that stays the same speed regardless of the speed of the car.

Hydraulic tappets. Clicking sound form the rear again but this one speeds up and you go faster. This can be a sign of trouble with these tensioners. If the noise goes away when it's warm then it's nothing to worry about. If they stay then it's a problem.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.

SimonH81 said:
............ Not had time to have a full read through yet properly but are there any obvious interior things I would be able to spot on Autotrader pics to ensure its a Gen 2 car if on an 09 plate?

The facelift took place in 2008 so some 58 and all 09 plate cars should be Gen2.

As you're looking for an automatic the obvious difference is that the Gen 1 was Tiptronic and the Gen2 was PDK.

You might struggle to find an 09 car at a dealer for your £15k but good luck. :thumb:

Hi,

Preference would actually be a manual but thanks as may consider the auto. So basically if it's a PDK box it a Gen2 car is that right?

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back