Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

987 2.7 Cayman, am I mad?

coullstar

Singapore
After selling my 996 C2 last Sept for various reasons I replaced with a VW Scirocco R for more practicality etc etc The car is great but Im missing the 6cyl and overall feeling of the Porsche.

Was originally looking at keeping the Scirocco and getting a cheap 986 but to be honest I dont want another car to deal with from ins, tax, running etc as that would be 5 in the house.

So thoughts have turned to selling the Scirocco and getting something a bit newer with hopefully less hassle. Dont want another 996, I want to try something different.

This leads me to looking at 987.1 cars now. Im aware of the pitfalls of the earlier cars and to be honest I dont need anything fast in a straight line. Budget would be about what I would hopefully sell the Scirocco for i.e. circa £13k.
This leads me to early 3.4s or 2.7 Cayman. From what I can see the 2.7 is less of a risk from the usual engine issues so Im looking at them.

My question is for those that have one (2.7) did you ever regret not getting the 3.4 or are they enough to have some fun and yet be nice and reliable? Id be doing about 6-7000miles a year in it of fun and commuting. Cayman appeals over Boxster as I will probably fit roofbars for doing some MTB trips as well.

Last edited:
Have you thought about trying to get a 987.2 with the 2.9 engine, possibly just about in your budget if you don't mind a few miles.

I have to say that I used to have a 987.1 Boxster with the 2.7 and while not the fastest thing in the world it was great fun and ultra reliable.

I would choose a 987.2 2.9 manual I'm a heartbeat over a 3.2 987.1
Thr interior is a vast improvement and thr led lighting exterior really moves it forward in looks even though there isn't that much difference.

Think you would have to up your budget slightly to get into a 2.9.

987.2 have the more reliable 3.4 litre DFI engines

The Gen2 2.9 is the MA.1 engine (no IMS) but with DME 7.8 injection. A simpler system than DFI.
Not aware of any reliability issues with the 2.9

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back