Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

steering help

jimboger1

Trainee
Hopefully I can get some good advice here - maybe deMort can help
car is 2008, 987.1, 2.7 Cayman with 96k

2 coffin arms and 1 tuning fork replaced at 86k, 3 years ago - before me

I'm getting a noise from the passenger side when turning the wheel at around the 2pm/3pm - if I rock it back and forth around that area, I'm getting a kind of grinding/squeaking/creaking sound
My indue changed the tuning fork last week, thinking it was that - it wasn't!!!!
he now thinks its the inner track rod on that side - I do have a burst boot on the outer
I've no evidence of any track rods being replaced, or any drop links, ARB's or front shocks etc.
I'm reluctant to get my indie to replace the outer & inner rod in case its not that
dont have an issue with the money, but as he didn't get it right last time, I done want to waste more money
just wondering what your the opinion would be
also, as a DIY job, is it worth replacing all my drop links, front & rear ARB's, and both sides inner & outer rods?
many thanks in advance
Jim

Lennym1984 said:
What state are the top mounts and bearings in?

My initial thought was top mount too but you could spend a lot of time and money getting an indie to chase issues, you would think your indie would be able to find out instead of just guessing.

If it is something that is failing a pre MOT check would find it out for no more than 45 quid? Obviously the outer boot would get picked up and will need doing at some point anyway?

thank you, and I do understand that these things can take a while to get to the bottom of

Again purely internet diagnosis but top mounts/bearings would be favourite Certainly cut down the squeaks and groans from my 986 when I did mine (they didn't all go until the coffin arms, drop links and tuning forks had been done too).
You can get a pair of Sachs top mounts (the OE supplier) for about £60 a pair on eBay (Mister Auto), they are £150 each from Porsche. Bearings are often a case of degrease, clean up and if not pitted, grease up and go again. Otherwise somewhere like Spyder Performance you can get top mounts with bearings for about £85 a pair (not OE). A decent mechanic should be able to fit these in around 2 to 3 hours.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoochyTM
Back