Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Turbo as a long term car

Kev.K

Monza
I’ve seen a 997.2 turbo with low miles and almost perfect (for me) spec.

Im considering buying it but a few people have said a 991.1 would be a better buy as the 997.2 is almost 15 years old and that puts it outside of Porsche extended warranty.

Is this a big risk? I thought the turbos didn’t have the issues that other 996/7‘s have? PDK seems like a reliable transmission?

Im not adverse to buying a 991 but I prefer size and look of the 997.

I plan to keep what ever I buy for the foreseeable future. Not worried about depreciation but I want a reliable car with reasonable maintenance costs.

The car would not do more than 4K-5k a year.

One concern I do have is that the PCCB have been replaced with steel brakes. Seems strange for a low mile car?

Need all the advice I can get. This is my midlife crisis purchase.

No real issues. I would never pay Porsche servicing and warranty prices for a 997. Carbon ceramics are a bit of a liability and to be honest not great until the current 991/992 generation. I track both my 997 and 991 and prefer the steel on the 997.

Do your due diligence, and if you don’t have the knowledge to do so make sure someone who has does it for you.

I've done a lot of miles over the years in the company of a 997.2 Turbo driver and most of it's 105k miles have been done spiritedly (UK and Europe) or on track. I'm not aware that any original parts of the car have ever let the owner down.

That said, I'd be more wary of a car that hadn't been used regularly and certainly wouldn't pay the premium asked for low mileage cars. No 911 turbo will be cheap to run but I doubt that many cars capable of nearly 200 mph will cost any less.

Go for it. 👍 (subject to due diligence of course).

No real issues. I would never pay Porsche servicing and warranty prices for a 997. Carbon ceramics are a bit of a liability and to be honest not great until the current 991/992 generation. I track both my 997 and 991 and prefer the steel on the 997.

I plan to use hartech for servicing. Not a fan of dealer networks
Do your due diligence, and if you don’t have the knowledge to do so make sure someone who has does it for you.

I will pay to have someone inspect the car if I purchase it.
I've done a lot of miles over the years in the company of a 997.2 Turbo driver and most of its 105k miles have been done spiritedly (UK and Europe) or on track. I'm not aware that any original parts of the car have ever let the owner down.

That said, I'd be more wary of a car that hadn't been used regularly and certainly wouldn't pay the premium asked for low mileage cars. No 911 turbo will be cheap to run but I doubt that many cars capable of nearly 200 mph will cost any less.

Go for it. 👍 (subject to due diligence of course).

That’s good to know.

I would put in a fair offer if I decide i want it. The market isn’t great at the moment so I don’t want to overpay.

I seen a 991.2 carrera for £50k on AT today which made me have a rethink for a moment. But I’d regret going for the safer option.

Carreras have been overpriced for a long time imo so it seems things are getting back to normal.

997.2 Turbo, excellent choice

now if you can find a manual, they are very rare and i mean very rare

997.2 Turbo, excellent choice

now if you can find a manual, they are very rare and i mean very rare

Crazy how rare they are. I guess all the enthusiasts bought a GT car.

Only thing I don’t love about this car is the all red interior. But that is offset by carbon buckets, interior carbon pack and that it looks brand new. It’s also natural leather.

I need to budget for replacing all the hoses and I’ve sent hartech a email to enquire about the cost of their maintenance plan.

new PDK automatic was all the rage and the 997.2 stole the limelight, so only a handful and i literally mean handful of 997.2 Turbo's were a manual

any 2010, 2011 and 2012 997 Turbo in Manual is worth the same as a 997.2 Turbo S
2012 the last proper 911 Turbo with a manual gearbox
I would buy one of those

Crazy how rare they are. I guess all the enthusiasts bought a GT car.

Only thing I don’t love about this car is the all red interior. But that is offset by carbon buckets, interior carbon pack and that it looks brand new. It’s also natural leather.

I need to budget for replacing all the hoses and I’ve sent hartech a email to enquire about the cost of their maintenance plan.
Think I've seen the one you are looking at. 67K?
FWIW, the leather on the seats & centre console could easily be replaced at a price. The rest you could pick up on ebay.
If you do go for it & fancy a change, I have a set of carpets & back seats taking up space in my garage that are really too good to throw out, hence the reason they've been sitting for nearly ten years! I'll do a good price. Promise! ;-)

We run both 997 and 991 turbo. If I could only pick one I’d go for the 991 turbo s ;)

No contest IMO it’s a miles better turbo.

If only one car Rick? You sure mate? Remember OP looking at 997.2 turbo with PDK not a manual mezger ;)

in answer to the question, a 997.2 Turbo as a longer termer makes great sense, the cost difference over a 991 would easily budget for any mechanician issues
age will also be a factor on parts, but I know of another 997.2 owner who has over 100k miles on the clock

find the right car and enjoy it

I’ve seen a 997.2 turbo with low miles and almost perfect (for me) spec.

Im considering buying it but a few people have said a 991.1 would be a better buy as the 997.2 is almost 15 years old and that puts it outside of Porsche extended warranty.

Is this a big risk? I thought the turbos didn’t have the issues that other 996/7‘s have? PDK seems like a reliable transmission?

Im not adverse to buying a 991 but I prefer size and look of the 997.

I plan to keep what ever I buy for the foreseeable future. Not worried about depreciation but I want a reliable car with reasonable maintenance costs.

The car would not do more than 4K-5k a year.

One concern I do have is that the PCCB have been replaced with steel brakes. Seems strange for a low mile car?

Need all the advice I can get. This is my midlife crisis purchase.
Did you end up getting one Kev?

You and I were probably looking for one at the same time by the sounds of it, and we were probably looking at the same cars. I saw the red interior one, and despite REALLY wanting bucket seats, I couldn’t bring myself to get an all-red interior. It just reminded me of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre!

I ended up buying the one at Porsche Wolverhampton. A super specification with everything I wanted, apart from slightly higher mileage. Despite it being a 2010 model, it still came with 20 months warranty. Absolutely loving it!!!

I’m also so happy that I went for a PDK as I think it really suits the responsiveness of the engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
that is a good looking car

the wide body turbo, is such a gem
it's a proper "Turbo"

New Threads

Forum statistics