Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IPD plenum and K&N Filter - long term reliability

Yoshuey

Silverstone
Hey all

I'm not a 911 owner - but looking at possibly getting a 997.2.
The car in question is 100k miler (yes I know mileage isn't too relevant as long as looked after).
The car has an IPD plenum and K&N filters.

Arguably I tend to believe car manufacturers know what they are doing - and don't like mods that are manufactur made / or developed.

My question is can a plenum and K&N filter have a negative affect on the long term reliability of the engine - meaning can aftermarket plenum and filter be overworking the engine more than it should be?

I have basic understanding of engines but that is it - basic.

Would be great to get an explanation from someone who understands this - I guess the engine is getting more in with the plenum and filter, hence a stronger explosion - hence a tiny bit more power?
Just wondering more about long term reliability - and by that I mean if the engine was doing another 100k miles... will the additional power cause more wear in the internal components vs one with a standard OEM plenum/air filter.

In the grand scheme of things, I don’t think this will make any difference at all to longevity. You’re not exactly talking about a turbocharged monster pushing 1000bhp with nitrous injection. The gains that you’re talking about will be at best marginal (and at worst actually cause the engine to make less power!!). It’ll be mostly a change in so the sound that the car makes. A good intake noise is a fine thing! The upsides is that it might well be an enthusiast owned car that was treated to that little bit of extra maintenance and servicing over a “I took it to the Porsche dealer every 20,000 miles like the books says” car.

Main thing to check will be the Insurance implications for you going forwards. Might limit your potential quotes.

The K@N filters will be fine- they filter as well as any paper filter- I say this after 17 years experience on all my cars, and some meticulous examination of my post filter inlet pipes. However if its the set up I think it is and it's taking air from a hot engine bay the air is less dense and you are losing power. Really not a good idea.
I use a K@N air filter within the Porsche OEM intake on my 997.1 and would happily recommend this set up.

no reason why the IPD can't last forever
air filters need scheduled cleaning

I am hoping to fit an IPD plenum to a 997.2 3.6 at some point, more about the improved throttle response and freeing up a little at the top end, so any experiences from fitting much appreciated. By the way unless you map, you will need to wait for the ECU to make the adjustments to correct any AFR ratio's etc

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back