Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

986 (987 Air Intake / 997 Throttle Body Mod)

As i explained to Marty on the phone today .. it may well not be something that they have done .. it could be just sods law that something else failed in the meantime .

Trust me i have seen this many times even down to a cayman in for a service that went out around back for a wash and then didn't start .. the fuel pump relay decided it was going to fail at that particular point .. nothing to do with a minor service .

Better it happens with us than the customer though and it was diagnosed and fixed before they collected the car .. some things are just obvious !

In short S*%T happens !

EDIT .. if i look at the car then i can't post what i find .. that would be up to you young man .

kas750 said:
I'm brill thanks Marky and putting some miles on my new knee.
Perhaps see you at RS day

Excellent. Glad it's sorted! I still take those Glucosamine tablets you recommended for mine. Had an op on the Saphenous vein last summer but it hasn't sorted my issues. I'm back cycling again though, after pretty much a year off.

I might see you at RS day if I go. Truth be told though, I may not get the car out of storage until the 1st May but we'll see. :thumb:
Plus whenever I go it rains, so if I stay away, everyone else might have a nice dry day. :grin:

Sorry for the derail Marty. :thumb:

Update -

MisterCorn very kindly sent us his Durametric, which promptly returned a load of codes for things unrelated to the engine, which I would have expected to see. No engine error codes which really threw us.

So Iain said we needed to test fuel pressure next. We have now done so, 0psi when attaching it to the system, which is not impossible but unusual. 20psi when cranking, which is way out. Iain said we are looking for circa 40 or 45. So we have ordered a new pump and a filter.

Thread reads strangly as half of it is a review of MPS and half of it talking about our issues post mods.

If anyone ever reads this interested in doing the mod (it is tried and tested), then respond in here or PM me and I can go into it in more detail.

It is now looking possible that our mods have nothing to do with the fact she isn't running, or not directly at least. Will revert back when the new pump is in.

Out of interest, exactly what parts did you buy, how much and where did you source them?

A mate had the IPD and TB package that he sold to us.

Google hasn't allowed me to see the full package for some reason. It's this plenum:

https://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-986-boxster-ipd-intake-plenum-2000-2004/

A 997 TB as found in a 997.1 if memory serves. Though Wayne at ChipWizards is unsure of the IPD plenum. So may yet get a a gen1 987 plenum and sell the IPD.

I had already desnorkled it. We then bought a 987 airbox with a 987 MAF included from eBay. The IPD kit came with its own intake pipe which we cut down to fit our new kit perfectly. Even used the old 986 MAF housing as a strengthener where the intake pipe meets the pipe collar attaching the new MAF housing to the intake pipe. I have pics, it's super sturdy and done up tightly for no leaks.

Popped a BMC filter in too. The size of the intake from the side vent, the size of the filter, then the increased intake size all the way to the TB is much bigger. This is how Porsche restricted it from factory to not have it stepping on the 996's toes. So 68mm has become 74mm with no restrictions unlike Raggypicker's mods. He had fashioned the old 986 MAF into the line.

Happy to post pics of the job so far. Getting the much bigger airbox in is fun, incidentally the last of the 986, the 550 Spyder, had the 987 AB.

It one of those things on my to do list after the other more mundane jobs have been done. 8% more potential mass flow by the increase in area. I was aware the 550 had the 987 airbox to gain all of 2PS! 987 plenum along with 997.1 TB sems to make best sense. Might start putting a kit together as bits become available online.

No, I probably would, just noting that Porsche didn't exactly exploit using it on the 550. That could easily have had 275 or 280PS to really make it stand out from the regular range.

Agreed, they're always thinking 911 though aren't they. I'm hoping to bag 300 horses when I've done all the mods and had everything mapped in. I've done the pulley mod, ripped out the A/C. Just need to get her running and do the exhaust mani (sadly).

Raggy reckons that's a realistic figure, he's had two of them.

911 was at 320 by then and for a limited 'special' edition it wouldn't have hurt.
Mine is a 2000 car so I'd be happy to get to 270 from the standard 252, and a slightly better increase in torque by letting it breathe properly, after mapping and if/when exhaust needs doing will go for SS manifolds too.

Mine is a 2000 as well, do you feel my target unlikely then? I'm running Decat too. Lost 85kg, going to make it 100kg.

I'm not looking for a big hike, just a bit of fun. I plan to keep exhaust and cats stock so being realistic about what I'd likely get. If I got 280, then great! Without cats and an aggressive map 300 should be do able and with 100kg , under drive and no a/c, you'll get gains on power to weight that I'm not looking at.

Was hoping for as much, she'd be quicker than my minter Cayman S was then, by some margin I'd say.

Looking to lose the rear spoiler mechanism next, as per Boxster Cup racing here in UK and BSR in US. 7kg apparently.

Then it would be lightweight wheels and plexi windows up next, might even hit 110kg if I am lucky.

Lightweight battery? But keep a booster pack handy.

Already there, cheapest 10kg saving money can buy! Running an Odyssey, been pretty good despite the scare stories. Only have the race batt in during the warmer climes, keep her on Ctek, removed all interior lights and radio.... don't go mental with cranking her when you don't have to..... no issues.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back