Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Prices over next few months

chris milner

Decided I’ve got to do an aircooled 911 after owning several Porsches but all water cooled, 997 turbo at the moment.
I’ve decided it has to be a targa and although I’m open to 3.0 and 915 box I’d prefer a 3.2 G50.
Prices though are absolutely all over the place.
Being an enthusiast for 25 years I’d rather buy from an enthusiast.
What is the going rate for a good condition car that doesn’t need a paint job or kidney bowl/sills doing, private not trade.
Is it normal for allot of cars to come up for sale in March/April? So should I be patient?

Thanks for any advice

find the best one you can find
i do know of a 3.0 targa with a 915 box, calling @askgeez

I’ve actually messaged askgeez tonight so thanks.
I’m just reading the difference between the 3.2 and 3.0 915👍👍

I’ve actually messaged askgeez tonight so thanks.
I’m just reading the difference between the 3.2 and 3.0 915👍👍
didnt we speak on this a few weeks ago ?

I guess market evaluation can be very important but if the question is more related to air or water cooled it seems you may not get too many responses with the choice of title for your thread...?

Perhaps this vid might help you set out your own priorities more clearly in terms of air or water cooled... I have owned and restored (hands-on) three air cooled Porsches, my last being an 82 911 SC which I was repairing corrosion issues on circa 30 years ago, what it might be like today...?

Currently I own a 991.1 C4S which more suited my needs at the time of purchase, though today, I think I might just prefer to have my old SC as my sports car needs have altered, but then I am fortunate that I do not spend much time in traffic, and mostly enjoy A & B roads.

Happy to discuss further, but I suspect the vid covers most things reasonably well, all be it vehicle priorities in the US and UK can differ. i.e. I note there is nothing discussed on the fact that Porsche seem to advise that E5 fuels are not compatible for use in any of their air cooled cars. Which may or may not be worth looking into...?

The Vid...Hope it helps.

They start about £20K but £30K for a nice one, up to £40K for a complete nut & bolt resto one

Was that written 10 years ago? Think that's optimistic as a buyer Peter. Classicline have mine (a 915 3.2) on AV at 75k - admittedly toppy, but I'd put the general range at 30 - 70 with plenty of dogs needing considerable expenditure at the bottom, and I've seen low mileage collector type stuff priced as high as 80 even. I note 911Virgin have just taken a deposit on 123k miles 3.2 priced at 65k (advertised as 'due in' so doubt it was discounted much).

Bob

Im just being realistic and those are the prices for cars that are actually selling. I sold my mint 83 SC targa last June for £40K, Insurance AV was £55K. Collecting Cars is a good barometer of prices. Coupes are £10K up on those prices

Aircooled?
3.2?
Targa?
The Holy trinity of awesomeness.

I think you could be justifiably biased FZP (-: I wonder at the prices for air cooled on this site.. Though I suspect Peter is perhaps more in line with what I might think a 3.0 or 3.2 Targa may be actually worth.... Most if not all will have had some sort of corrosion repairs over the years, patchwork Porsches are out there, I have owned a couple and enjoyed them but paying out circa £60k for one just seemed way too risky, I bought a 991 instead... Each to their own.

Good luck and enjoy the search...

Guys thanks for the replies.
I’m going to hold out and try and find a 3.2 targa👍

They start about £20K but £30K for a nice one, up to £40K for a complete nut & bolt resto one

Im just being realistic and those are the prices for cars that are actually selling. I sold my mint 83 SC targa last June for £40K, Insurance AV was £55K. Collecting Cars is a good barometer of prices. Coupes are £10K up on those prices
Are you saying you know of complete nut and bolt restored 3.2 coupes for £50k?

If so, could you provide a link please?

I guess market evaluation can be very important but if the question is more related to air or water cooled it seems you may not get too many responses with the choice of title for your thread...?

Perhaps this vid might help you set out your own priorities more clearly in terms of air or water cooled... I have owned and restored (hands-on) three air cooled Porsches, my last being an 82 911 SC which I was repairing corrosion issues on circa 30 years ago, what it might be like today...?

Currently I own a 991.1 C4S which more suited my needs at the time of purchase, though today, I think I might just prefer to have my old SC as my sports car needs have altered, but then I am fortunate that I do not spend much time in traffic, and mostly enjoy A & B roads.

Happy to discuss further, but I suspect the vid covers most things reasonably well, all be it vehicle priorities in the US and UK can differ. i.e. I note there is nothing discussed on the fact that Porsche seem to advise that E5 fuels are not compatible for use in any of their air cooled cars. Which may or may not be worth looking into...?

The Vid...Hope it helps.

Going by his video, he seems to be someone who is not very good at selecting older, used cars.

If that's the case, buying something nearly new with a warranty is probably the best route for him.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back