Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgraded my 997 Key

copmots said:
Hi all
Please don't shoot me down in flames, but why the enthusiasm in changing the shell of the key?
I could understand it if it was a significant change like making it a folding key like say on an Audi .
But basically it just looks slightly different and black.

I'am all in for mods of any kind but this one just seems a little expensive for very little gain.
There again each to their own.

Will get back to you all when I've made a folding key version.
:)

I am guessing you don't have a gen 1 key? I came from a 996 to a 997 and one big surprise was just how plasticky, light and flimsey the key was. Part of the excitement is having a key to something special... And the std key lets it down somewhat. The upgrade is more than just the look, the key fells more solid and German like, even though its made in china. A great cheap mod, considering a new key costs £200....

copmots said:
Hi all
Please don't shoot me down in flames, but why the enthusiasm in changing the shell of the key?
I could understand it if it was a significant change like making it a folding key like say on an Audi .

I'am all in for mods of any kind but this one just seems a little expensive for very little gain.

3 Benefits:

1. As the buttons are slightly lower than the gen 1 key, I don't accidentally press the button whilst in my pocket and enable my comfort setting. I did it all the time with the Gen 1 key, not once since I've got the Gen 2 key.

2. Looks much, much better.

3. Has a much better feel to it as well.

Not bad for about 20 mins work and few quid!

Did this 2 days ago - ordered 2, 2-button keys from a seller in Hong Kong cost was around 20 Euro.

I guess that all of the sellers are sourcing from the same factory - all images are identical - just make sure the seller include the badges or you will end up having to search for them as well..

One of the keys I received when i bought the car was well worn and badly cracked, the other was clearly unused.

As per the other guys:

1. Since started using the new one I haven't had the bonnet open on me when I sit down - worth it just for this

2. It is true, the key just feels like it is higher quality - all due to the metal key ring part.

Although the 2nd key is pristine, i am tempted to change it.... If only you could get the transponder out without trashing the old key...

Costed me around 20 Euro for both keys

Forgot to say - I did almost die when the transponder finally came out and it looked like i had cut a bit from the bottom :eek: . Until i realised it had a slope at the bottom.. Horrible moment.

Keys

mkoenigsheim said:
Costed me around 20 Euro for both keys

Be interesting to compare, as I did quite a lot of research across various different key suppliers from China and HK - there are certainly different suppliers, and you do get what you pay for (As with most things in life)

It's worth noting that there are differences, I tried 3 different suppliers from across China & Hong Kong, all priced differently, and although they may appear to be the same on the face of things, there are small differences.

Key points I found from some of the other examples I tried:

- Cases often supplied without Porsche badges. E.g Many of those sold on eBay
- Gaps - found some clipped together well but left gaps between where the 2 shells met.
- Wobble on key blade. Locking mechanism on one type wasn't great, and last thing you'd want to do is loose your key blade.

Personally, I felt it worth spending a few extra quid to get the key as close to OEM as possible. I even went to the extent of buying an OEM Porsche key to compare, and this is about as close as you can get.

Don't want to knock your keys as I've not seem them to compare, and for all I know you may have got a bargain!

But also don't want all the folks on here who've participated in the group buy to feel ripped off.

It's taken a lot time and effort to do the due diligence, write a guide, find a quality supplier / product, and facilitate 30+ forum members in a group buy, and just wanted to flag and make this clear to everyone reading.

I have one of Elliot's keys and an original Gen2 one from Porsche.

They are very close and only the key logos show a slight difference.

However my brother stole the one I just bought recently for his Porsche, so I need to purchase another. Personally I'm happy to pay that bit more, for someone else to have done the 'groundwork' etc so to speak. :)

Elliot, I need to order another two button from you if you're reading this dude. :thumb:

Fair enough and full respect for writing an excellent how to doc - I would b=never have thought or tried without this post. :worship:

copmots said:
Hi all

I must admit, I'm with you here. I've had my 997.1 for just over a month and don't see anything wrong with the key, apart from the fact it's not foldable...

Because you don't accidentally press the buttons

markiii said:
Because you don't accidentally press the buttons

That or as a replacement for an already broken key shell. This is a much cheaper fix than going to Porsche for a new key head and coding just because some plastic has broken.

Plus, in my opinion it looks a bit nicer and feels a bit chunkier because of the increased weight.

i did both of my keys and they feel a million times better and as stated, you don't accidentally open the boot, seriously for the time it is a great mod.

Just upgraded my spare key with one of Elliot's as it was in poor condition - really pleased with the outcome. I will do my main key in the near future.

I've already walked out to our 997 in the morning to find the bonnet open, so share the concern over accidentally activating the buttons.

Elliott - do you have any kits left as I'd like to get a couple of these if still available?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back