Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The hunt is on!

dvn12345

Trainee
Hi all,

As mentioned in the Newbie thread, i'm new to this and looking to buy my first 911.

I've decided on a manual 997 coupe 'S' and am torn between C4s and C2s. I LOVE the widebody of the C4s but decent examples are seemingly pretty hard to find; esp manual ones with IMS/rebuilds done. Due to this i'm not completely ruling out a C2s as it won't be my daily driver, so I can pick dry days for it. Can anyone recommend any decent links/videos to compare the 2 side by side? My main concern is the fat rear on the C4s is to die for and also my ability to not stoof in, in a C2S!

Also, with regard to engine issues on the Gen 1 997s, if a car has had a recent boroscope and come up clear, is this good enough to go on, or do i really need to focus on buying one that's been rebuilt/factor in a rebuild?

My budget is around £30K, but could press to £35K if it looks sexy enough to convince my wife (who I am keeping topped up on white wine throughout this entire process)

Thanks in advance :)

The 4 will give you a bit of extra confidence in damp/wet conditions but unless you're trying very hard you won't notice much difference in normal road driving.

The wide body is great to behold but is actually less noticeable on the Gen1 without the red bumstripe. The 2 is pretty shapely in any case.

If you find a later model with the revised IMS bearing and have the car PPI'd and borescoped by someone who knows the marque there's not much more you can do too mitigate the risk.

Personally with your budget I'd go for a Gen2 car over any Gen1 with an original engine even if it meant 'settling' for a 3.6.

Happy Hunting :thumbs:

Go for a Gen 2 with full history and a 111 point check .
I personally would prefer a 4S

I'm in the same boat too, looking for a nice gen1 c4 under 30k, gen2's are another 6-7k on top,allthough a 3.6 not a c4. Another way to look at it is that 6-7k extra that I never spent on a gen2 could be a slush fund on a gen1 incase the unthinkable happens, if it ever will ! Its the risk I may be willing to take.

I agree; maybe better to hold some back in reserve and, like you say, it may never happen...

Now started looking up to 40k and the 996 turbo starts appearing. Dammit!

dvn12345 said:
...... Now started looking up to 40k and the 996 turbo starts appearing. Dammit!

:grin:

Seriously, the newest 996T you'll find will be 17 years old. If £40k is possible a whole load of 4/5 year newer Gen2 Carreras are waiting for you to jump into.

T8 said:
dvn12345 said:
...... Now started looking up to 40k and the 996 turbo starts appearing. Dammit!

:grin:

Seriously, the newest 996T you'll find will be 17 years old. If £40k is possible a whole load of 4/5 year newer Gen2 Carreras are waiting for you to jump into.

Completely agree; as much as the idea of a turbo is lovely, it'll be a 20 year old one and they must have done most of their appreciating by now.

Out of interest, how would the performance of a gen 2 Carrera with the 3.6 compare with a Gen 1 C2S?

It's generally reported that the performance of a Gen2 3.6 is very similar to that of a Gen1 3.8.

Contemporary performance figures were reported for both as being 4.7 for the 0-62 and both as having a top speed of over 180.

Cool, thanks. It certainly seems like the power and torque is not that far apart. I've seen a couple of nice looking 997.2 C2S on autotrader, within new budget, so this seems like a good path to go down. The C4S is gen 2 is def out of reach!

You would be simply nuts not to buy a gen 2 car with that budget. I keep saying this, the gen 2 is simply a superior car in every respect.
Very few gen 1 owners will admit it.
Ive had both, my gen 1 was a 9k mile car & was like a new pin & could knock spots off my present gen 2 car in respects of condition.
But trust me, the gen 2 is in a different league.

Oh... so you can get a 2009 gen 1 and a 2008 gen 2? Is this due to some cars being marketed by their 'reg' and some by the MY?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back