Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 C4(s) curious.

All the Carreras dont have PSM. They only launched on the e-gas cars.

I presume they all have ABS, whereas they don't all have PSM.

Yes they all have ABS. The cable throttle cars had traction control, but not as good as PSM.

Alex said:
The cable throttle cars had traction control, but not as good as PSM.
That's where I got confused ;)
996.2 are overall more civilized cars (including having such conveniences as cup holders and glovebox) while not being terribly more expensive.

I generally prefer the purity of the 996.1 car. Ideally an early cable throttle manual. For me the 996.1 looks how the 996 was intended to look, before they decided it needed to be changed so jt didn't look like the Boxster. Honestly though, in driving I can't tell the difference between a cable throttle and later car.

MC

You will get more difference in geo set up than between a C2 and C4.

C4 can be converted to a C2 for £120 worth of CV joint hubs and around 2 hours labour.

Buy the car based on how it tight feels imho.

I bought my C4 with the intention of converting it to RWD, but the reality is I really, really like the extra weight up front, the steering and turn in feels better to me, like when you have just filled the tank right up on a C2.
So I have not bothered.

It is actually 35kg for the complete AWD system on the scales. The 54kg weight difference comes from all the other bits that the C4 came with as standard over the C2 including more material in the frame up front.

If you want it to feel more lively you can simply have zero toe in on the geo, or add a smidge of toe out if you want the back end to become playful.

I wouldn't even consider a tip in one of these, and I am a massive auto fan, bought my first auto in '98 with an E39 528i, being 24 at the time all my mates called me grandad, but I love autos, but not for me in a 911.
That changes the dynamics of the car far, far more than C2 vs C4.

When it is cold and damp, on PS4 tyres, the C4 definitely seems to fair bloody well, certainly more grip than I remember from previous cars, but that could be tyres or geo rather than going to AWD?

I have not seen the PSM light ever come on since refreshing the suspension, fitting PS4 all round and getting the geo done how I like it, no matter what the conditions.

2WD or go home.
Thank me later. :thumb:

Oh and avoid Tips as mentioned. Very lethargic old boxes now.

RWD, manual, coupe is how a 911 should be, if you want the proper 911 experience.
If not that's fine, but you can easily see from values, that that's what the buyers want.

Just my 2p, but the market doesn't lie.
Obviously a C2 on knackered old worn out dampers won't be as nice as a C4 on new coilovers, but all things being equal a 2WD, manual, coupe offers the best 911 driving experience vs any other combo of drivetrain, transmission or body type.

That's why GT3s aren't 4WD and convertible. :wink:

My MY2000 3.4 C2 doesn't have any TC/PSM, it did feel a bit light at the front and handles better with some weight in the frunk but that has been improved by a X74 geo setup and more of a nose down attitude. Replaced suspension with M030 shocks & Eibach springs.

Masses of grip right up to the point it doesn't! Having looped it a few times in the wet on slippy patches and a couple of moments when getting the rear to come back in line hasn't gone as well as intended I've calmed down when it rains, it's still rock solid and communicative in the dry.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back