Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Should I be concerned??

Jatson5

Hi All

I test drove an '06 C2 manual the other day. Everything seems to be pretty good with it but have a couple of queries / concerns:

1. After the test drive I opened up the oil cap and there seemed to be a milky residue (pic attached). Is this expected or is coolant mixing with the oil and if so is it a new air oil separator required?

2. The last major service had a customer advisory note stating that it requires front axle coolant pipes and front control arm needs replacing. How much should I budget for that and is it s job that requires immediate attention as I did shine a torch on the coolant pipes and there was no visible leak.

Attachments

• dc3952b0_2dbb_4e57_9f0d_85559fdfa319_938.jpeg
    dc3952b0_2dbb_4e57_9f0d_85559fdfa319_938.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 500
drmark said:
"Mayonnaise" is common there. I wouldn't worry.

:agree: but I'd get the coolant pipes properly checked asap. The one thing you don't want on a 911 is over-heating.

Control arms are a consumable on 911s and you'll notice the cars drive better when they are replaced, not least as a GEO set-up is required at the same time.

Neither job is particularly expensive, parts wise, but costs depend upon what labour rate you pay. I'd budget £200 + 3 hours labour + the Geo set up.

If you're buying I'd use these issues to get at least £700 off the asking price, a bit less if it's already well priced and/or you really don't want to lose the car.

If it's the front cross over pipes, they're pretty pricey from memory and a lot of labour to fit, so can be about £1000 to £1500 I'd estimate.

£1200/1500 for the crossover pipes

I think you need a proper PDI
Youcould easily spend £2000 on the car
Definitely a PPI NEEDED

Nb it won't be the rubber hoses (that you can see) per se but the metal end joints which are the common failure point ie the aluminium cross over pipes react with the steel ends of the rubber hoses over the years causing eventual failure so you need the joints checking ......if they fail it can be a major leak and so you risk overheating the engine more than a failed rad ;-) Its usual to replace both the cross over pipes and hoses.

There is a video from 911Virgin here explaining......

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Will.i.am911
Back