Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

I need your help. What else should I change if engine out?

CB911C4S said:
Great job - thanks for sharing the updates. It makes me want to do it as well - if only I had a garage!

Thanks. And yeah, the post on here motivate me too.

Both radiator packs are ready for installation. Very satisfying.

A quick photo heavy update.

Whilst the engine was out, I remembered a broken coil connector. So ordered a replacement.

Part number here. And supplier.

Old braces vs new. I still added more paint to the new ones.

Some of the new pipes here. Exciting.

And here are the old pipes.

And more.

Restored radiator packs installed.

Hard to understand how these still hold water. Totally unserviceable. Obviously designed for faster factory assembly with no thought for future servicing or maintenance.

Most of the mid pipe corrosion appeared to be where the pipes rubbed in the connectors. Even when rubber lined. So I added heavy duty tape at these points. See below.

:nooo:

Some nice updates! Great to see the new & cleaned up parts ready to go back in.

Asked the apprentice to help me get the engine back on today. He was very confused.

Engine back in. All pipes connected. Brakes & clutch bled. Engine started.

Will finish boxing up on Sunday.

Have you got a link for the heavy duty paint you used please? I'm going to be doing the same to mine very soon.

I've seen Euros do U-Pol Raptor for £30 a tin which looks good?

TheBigRedMachine said:
Have you got a link for the heavy duty paint you used please? I'm going to be doing the same to mine very soon.

also watching!

Here are some more photos.

It's alive!

Tidied up the rusty driveshafts. Cosmetic.

Textured tough paint added to all aluminium pipes and tape added at mounting mounts as I found rubbing at these points increased corrosion.

Added protective pvc tape to new brakes lines. Time will tell whether this protects the pipe coating. Or traps moisture accelerating corrosion.

New drier added as system has been open a few weeks.

And finally. A few photos of the brake pipes where corrosion is clearly started at the plastic mounting clip locations. Due to vibration, I suspect that the clips wear through the plastic coating and expose the steel brake pipes. By adding some tape at these points I'm hoping to limit this.

A photo of all the parts I replaced. Kinda wishing I'd changed the gear change cables. But can do another time as does not involve engine out.

Pretty conclusive evidence of exposed pipe & clip location corrosion. Imo.

TheBigRedMachine said:

This is the stuff. Can't seem to but it online.

But it's awesome. Imo. A final dust coat gives a great textured finish. Heavy coats loose the effect. Nozzle clogs easy so keep shaking.

Car is home at last. 40 mile road test complete. And a wash was satisfying.

Might sneak to Ace Cafe on Monday.

Excellent work, hope you get to enjoy her now!

About to collect mine after it's had engine out for new brake and coolant lines. A few preventative issues sorted like some surface rust on chassis rails, and new tandem pump and a few other bits and pieces.

Wasn't cheap, but keen to get the fundamentals right on the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back