Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Re directing rear O/S brake pipe

bigkahu

Hi,
Apologies if this has been covered already, I searched for an answer on this but can't find so wonder if anyone has done this or can see any reason why it can't be done?

Looking to re direct the rear brake line that goes from the N/S over the gearbox to the O/S rear without having to drop/remove gearbox if possible.

I have seen some folk looking at braided flexible hose over the top of gearbox but possible issues with the line rubbing as I guess it would be tricky to secure.

Could the line, be it pipe or a flexible braided hose be re routed under the gearbox, perhaps attached to the aluminium brace that runs from side to side and secured or a similar position ?

If it was suitable then perhaps leave it there or next time the car is having gearbox dropped have it reinstated above the gearbox. It is just to save the expense of dropping the gearbox to put in the brake line , any experience or thoughts on this appreciated.

Hi

Usually I like to find a creative solution to a problem, but in this case I think either just drop the box and do some "while you are there" or wait until it really needs dropping.

The unintended consequences of a major brake pipe re routing just are not worth it. Cheap is expensive with this one.

Berni

I see no reason why you couldn't apart from it being vulnerable to damage by things thrown up by the tyres. As long as it is just a pipe from A to B.

The reason you drop the gearbox off is because the pipe comes in a preformed single piece. Personally if I was in the situation where I needed to fit a new pipe I would join it somewhere above the gearbox with easy access. There is no compromise in braking with a joint, there are joints all over the car anyway.

Under the gearbox would be a silly idea, if you ever caught it on something you lose your brakes?? :dont know:

I was thinking as it was topside of the under trays, same as the lines running along the sills , so careful routing and support clips should avoid exposure to road debris , any other reasons why no as it's just an A to B line ? Thanks.

haha, yes you got me thinking I was going mad as I had just removed the rear tray.

Can i just say .. don't run it under the gearbox .

If you want to fabricate a new line then use the copper based pipe .. it's easier to bed to shape ..

Run it over the gearbox but you MUST somehow secure it so that it can not rub against anything... you have the existing clips which you need to use .

run the pipe .. then using a hand tool flare the end for the caliper flexi pipe .

If it was to let go via rubbing through then there is the potential for a problem ! .. not just the lack of fluid but brake fluid and tyre traction don't go together as it would dump fluid over the rear tyres . .

I have seen this attempted before .. it was messy at best .

In short i would have to say don't do it at all but the above is all i can say .

I reckon that gives you the definative answer then. :hand:

Having this done

Just FYI - I spotted this thread.. Mine are corroded and RPM Technik have suggested a braided hose to save the huge cost of dropping the exhaust. I doubt they see this as a bad option given their reputation.. Plus they propose/suggest I need all new dampers and top mounts at the front (so not afraid to suggest big money jobs)..

They seem a good bunch to trust to me.. The execution is as important as the design.. Maybe ping them

S

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back