Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jonttts Taycan Cross Turismo Turbo Journal

jonttt

Monaco
:eek: I've gone to the dark side, at least for my daily beater :roll:

Despite resisting for the last 5 years I have caved into the pressure of effectively being paid to drive this every day :floor:

G8NPfGY.jpg

so "My Porsche" app currently looks like this....

YvLbLJ2.jpg

x2 of the cars don't have much in terms of connected services :hand:

ps This probably won't be much of a journal as the car will just be used for boring stuff within the speed limit :grin:

Taycans look pretty good to me and the tax incentive makes it a no brainer imho. It does seem like tax incentives are one of the biggest driver (no pun intended) when it comes to opting for your car.

My work as a building surveyor means that I can buy a land rover defender hardtop - which are like hens teeth, and between April 2021 and end of march 2023, so a 2 year slot. you could buy one as "plant and machinery" as long as it was new and claim 130% tax relief, so I bought one at the beginning of April 2021, kept it for nearly 2 years and 34k miles, sold it for what i paid for it and claimed 65k tax relief in one year.
Bought another one yesterday, for 70k which will also qualify at 130% so can claim 91 k tax relief, less what i sold the old one for, win win.

Must say, that's the best colour combo for any car, looks great!

You have the external speaker?

Yes, its got a high spec, circa £20k worth of extras on top of the already high turbo spec. Its funny when I look at porsches, especially newer ones as the options list exploded, you can spot those that have been specced originally by someone who 'knows" porsche and the choice options. This car just stood out to me as its almost 100% the spec I had for a new order (the difference being a few things I would not have bothered speccing but are nice to haves).

The market is a bit weird for Taycan at the moment with plenty of cancelled orders I think due to both finance rates timing out and being a lot higher due to significant delivery delays and specs being changed as some choice options are being 'rationed" due to parts shortages still eg BOSE, comfort access, etc....

To me this one was underpriced by at least £10k compared to others on the market which always makes a decision easier as you feel you are onto a winner from day one......the car has 3k on the clock, smells and looks new and yet I effectively got £25k off what I know someone paid for it last year.

It will be mainly charged at work and so what I save in fuel will easily cover the stupidly low Benefit in Kind tax = I'm getting paid to drive it every day :grin:

Ps they are as good as every review says they are. I've tried almost all EV's over the past few years with an eye to jumping in but the built quality and 'experience" is simply not there, some are shocking for the money. In the end I was left with needling to change (bored) and having a choice between the new RR Hybrid (6% BIK from memory), Audi Enron GT (same platform and 'engine" as the Taycan) and Taycan. The Audi just felt too Audi ie nothing special and the looks did nothing for me. So that left 2 and I was torn. In the end it was the luxury of the Taycan for everyday driving (comparable to the RR) combined with a split personality of the devil that made it a no brainer. I would be stupid to not get paid to drive a sports car right.......so far I don't regret that decision at all, in fact the opposite, why did I wait so long :roll:

I think you swerved a bullet with the Audi E-tron, my work mate has one as he was drawn in by the BIC incentive, its been in the audi garage more than its been in our office car park.
had 2 new ecu replacements, and still has gremlins, lights and warnings flashing all over the place.

Sounds like you're living the dream except for maybe choice beers?! 8)

Give us some more shots of this one then....!

I like the look of the Audi equivalent, I must say.

wilpert said:
I think you swerved a bullet with the Audi E-tron, my work mate has one as he was drawn in by the BIC incentive, its been in the audi garage more than its been in our office car park.
had 2 new ecu replacements, and still has gremlins, lights and warnings flashing all over the place.

Taycans have / are having problems mainly:

- heater matrix failures, more serious than it sounds as the batteries cannot be pre warmed so car does not want to work

- 12v battery discharging, yep unbelievable that a greats big massive EV battery can cause the 12v battery to discharge (remember there is no engine alternator to recharge the 12v battery so its reliant on the EV batteries to recharge) :floor:

These have been a massive issue contributing to significant delivery delays on new cars (my brothers was delayed from July last year to Feb this year for both) as they have been diverting parts from prouction to fixing current owner problems, probably due to the hire car costs. Some have had hire cars for 3 months + due to the problems being global and lack of availability of replacements / upgraded parts :eek:

I've gone into it eyes wide open to this. As a long term Range Rover owner I am well experienced in arguing my case under consumer law to ensure I am not disadvantaged :grin:

I'd be interested to follow your progress with the Taycan: a couple of my friends and neighbours are running Teslas and Audi e-trons, with some degree of success, but I'd be a bit scared of the Insurance costs as the costs of repair and replacement are absolutely eye-watering if you stack it (or it gets stacked...). We can charge here in the office too, but there seem to be a few issues with the charging network (and it's a new building, supposedly future proofed).

I do find all these EVs bit big though, I'd want something smaller and nippier until I have to go to Lapland when I'd want to see a whole shitload more charge points - which is not realistic in a country twice the size of GB with a population of just about 5½ million.

Yes Insurance was surprisingly an issue for us. It is on a fleet policy which includes much more expensive metal and the underwriters asked more questions about this than any other car we have put on the policy. That includes details of not just my home overnight parking (which includes CCTV surveillance) but also chapter and verse on work / home charger unit installations (both are certified installed units but home is on a single phase supply). In the end they put it on the policy but its the only car we have on the policy that is limited specifically to my use (unlucky boys) and normally has to be parked specifically on my drive.
The extra premium was £2k which is in line with similar cars we have on the policy but it was the restrictions that where surprising.
It may have course have been its because its the fastest car we have currently :grin:

We are starting to see commercial insurers asking more questions about charging facilities with some onerous initial demands (like 24 hour monitoring :roll: ). Part of me is thats any excuse from underwriters to assess more risk but part of it may be genuine increased fire risks :eek:

Ive not read of any issues re private Insurance but may be worth considering if going on a commercial fleet policy ie check you can get Insurance first !

Re the size, yes it is big and thats something that did slightly worry me, having previously driven a Phantom into my entrance gate with £18k worth of damage :floor:

I had read its similar to a RR Vogue which I was OK with as I've driven them as daily's with no problem. My last two daily cars have also been large saloons .

So I was pleased that in lots of ways it feels smaller than a Vogue, probably due to it being lower and you have great visibility low down at the front, whereas a Vogue you often feel as if you are blind at the front judging distance.

I drove it into a familiar multi story on Monday and it was OK, again very similar to a vogue but I'm was conscious of how wide it is with sensors constantly going off. As per previous cars there are some trips / car parks I would just not take it on / in due to its size.

Two dirty cars......

Its funny, white always seems cleaner than black when dirty :grin:

to be fair to OPC Wolves their prep for the car was spot on. Despite it only having 3k on the clock the car has obviously had a 'treatment" of somekind. I'm going to give it a Fusso wax at some point but no point intitially (usually a work car is car wash only :grin: )

c46vSmH.jpg

jonttt said:
wilpert said:

Taycans have / are having problems mainly:

- heater matrix failures, more serious than it sounds as the batteries cannot be pre warmed so car does not want to work

- 12v battery discharging, yep unbelievable that a greats big massive EV battery can cause the 12v battery to discharge (remember there is no engine alternator to recharge the 12v battery so its reliant on the EV batteries to recharge) :floor:

These have been a massive issue contributing to significant delivery delays on new cars (my brothers was delayed from July last year to Feb this year for both) as they have been diverting parts from prouction to fixing current owner problems, probably due to the hire car costs. Some have had hire cars for 3 months + due to the problems being global and lack of availability of replacements / upgraded parts :eek:

I've gone into it eyes wide open to this. As a long term Range Rover owner I am well experienced in arguing my case under consumer law to ensure I am not disadvantaged :grin:

Yup mine is in garage currently for the heater replacement - they have had it a month, ordered the part yesterday so its going to be at least another month before i get it back! !!!

jonttt said:
but also chapter and verse on work / home charger unit installations (both are certified installed units but home is on a single phase supply).

Single phase :eek: I thought the Council had spotted that lead from the street lamp.

Hopefully through this thread you can give us the real life experience of using public chargers as that's where the whole EV car idea falls down :floor:

Someone near me has bought a Citroen Ami in builders toilet grey. Perhaps a runabout option for Mrs JT :grin:

I like it jonTTT, white cars do stay cleaner. Black cars are the work of beelzebub! Hate them, have two :evil:

I'd not bother in anyway detailing a while car, gives nothing back.

Zingari said:
jonttt said:
but also chapter and verse on work / home charger unit installations (both are certified installed units but home is on a single phase supply).

Single phase :eek: I thought the Council had spotted that lead from the street lamp.

Hopefully through this thread you can give us the real life experience of using public chargers as that's where the whole EV car idea falls down :floor:

Someone near me has bought a Citroen Ami in builders toilet grey. Perhaps a runabout option for Mrs JT :grin:

SWMBO is sticking with her Range Rover, I'm the green warrior :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back