Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How cheep does a 911 have to be?

I like to drive them, my cabriolet was in Rome 3 weeks ago. Therefore I've always brought higher mileage cars, so I can drive them without the fear of losing ten grand in depreciation.

As long as you have a warranty then there's nothing to fear.
Another factor for me personally is I've had to replace 4 x 911 engines over the years, and all of them were on low mileage cars. So I would not touch a low mileage 10-year-old 911 with a barge pole. 911 engines need to be used - simple.

This is how I work my man math - let's say we do 8K pa for 2 years.

Low mileage: 20-30K
Every time your milometer clicks another thousand miles your car drops by £1000. So that's £16K loss + the addition interest/payments you had to do, as you paid through the nose to get a low mileage car in the first place.

Mid milage: 40-70K
Better for depreciation but it may require a new clutch, coffin arms, tuning forks, brakes, water pump, AOS etc. within your 2 years as they are all coming to end-of-life so budget for 5K on maintenance and 5K depreciation.

Finally the low mileage car.
The previous owners have already replaced the items so it's in pretty good shape - add a warranty and everything is fine. The previous owners have also taken the residual value hit and the car is now rock bottom so adding 2 years of milage will only cost a couple of grand.

That's worked for me on my last 3 cars. I lost two grand on my 996 after driving it for 25K, a grand on my 997.2 Coupe (took that to Monaco, Stuttgart etc) and made £500 on the Boxster - result!

When I start looking for a Turbo next year, it won't be a low mileage one as I plan to take it all over Europe and enjoy the thing. You only live once.

But hey, different folks different strokes.

I'm not expecting anyone on here to buy my car as you all have one anyway. But a bit of help with the add or if you know someone that's looking for one, any help is appreciated.

benbuhagiar said:
People's view on mileage is mental! These cars do not go break at 100k! They are built by some of the best engineers in the world!

If a french hatchback can go to over 200k miles, how long do you think a German sports car go can for without some serious work?

There are plenty of 993s with well over 100k miles and lots around 150k. Plenty of 996s with over 100k miles.

My car is 10 years old and has 67.5k miles. To me that is well under the average miles and I will happily drive it to 150k miles.

Why spend some serious money on a car and not drive it???

There's a couple of 996's with 300K on them in the US, I also know of a 997 with 250K and a turbo with 570K! all still going strong.

In the current market im afraid to say if wbac would give you 28k on a straight purchase right now I would take it. If you still have the car in 5 weeks time in will be September and the worst time for selling convertibles and i doubt the 28k will be on the table then.
Even if you found a private buyer enquiring about your car at 30k they will prob expect to get a grand off asking price or more so again not far off the 28k offer.
Take it and move on. Remember use the flat market to your advantage when buying your new one and try to claw back the 2k at that end. Good luck.

benbuhagiar said:
People's view on mileage is mental! These cars do not go break at 100k! They are built by some of the best engineers in the world!

If a french hatchback can go to over 200k miles, how long do you think a German sports car go can for without some serious work?

There are plenty of 993s with well over 100k miles and lots around 150k. Plenty of 996s with over 100k miles.

With respect Ben the issue is about the value and desirability of high mileage 911s rather than whether they will break or not.

A French hatchback might make 200k miles but long before that it will be virtually worthless and the only person who'd then take it on would expect to get it for free. :grin:

There are lots of 993 and 996s out there with 100k+ miles on them but nearly all will take longer to sell than a lower mileage car of the same age and when they do they'll achieve a correspondingly lower sale price.

It's a stone cold fact that, particularly in the UK, mileage has a massive effect on the vast majority of people looking to buy a car and when it comes to 'weekend toys' this is even more the case.

I'm pretty confident that the majority of 911 owners have other cars which is why the average for a 997 Coupe is c7k p.a and for a Cab' is below 5k p.a. People that use them as daily drivers are those that push the average up to those figures and it's their cars that end up being worth considerably less.

Enlightened potential 997 buyers will seriously consider buying a high mileage Gen2 car for the same money as a lower mileage Gen1 car but finding those people takes time. The trade knows that which is why trade values are so low.

jimmy p said:
In the current market im afraid to say if wbac would give you 28k on a straight purchase right now I would take it. If you still have the car in 5 weeks time in will be September and the worst time for selling convertibles and i doubt the 28k will be on the table then.
Even if you found a private buyer enquiring about your car at 30k they will prob expect to get a grand off asking price or more so again not far off the 28k offer.
Take it and move on. Remember use the flat market to your advantage when buying your new one and try to claw back the 2k at that end. Good luck.

Knowing wbac I doubt (unless the car is absolutely as new) they would pay the 28k :nooo:

I see this has now appeared on Ebay, it looks great on there and the advert comes across well, I suspect you'll sell it pretty quickly on there, best of luck with the sale.

AutoTrader is shiote for the money :what: I know of one chap who just picked up a very very nice low miles black/black last 997.1 targa for a shade under £22k and that was being sold by the widow on Gumtree :what:

If you car was 25 bags even I'd be tempted chum :thumb:

Zingari said:
AutoTrader is shiote for the money :what: I know of one chap who just picked up a very very nice low miles black/black last 997.1 targa for a shade under £22k and that was being sold by the widow on Gumtree :what:

I hate to admit it I spotted a 4C in Handforth whilst on leave, looked and sounded amazing, you really need to bring it to the September meet :thumb:

Robert SausageTrousers said:
I see this has now appeared on Ebay, it looks great on there and the advert comes across well, I suspect you'll sell it pretty quickly on there, best of luck with the sale.

Fingers crossed.

Hopefully, if the reasons I've not had a call so far are the dealer facilities eg: warentee & finance then I think I've sorted it.

I spoke to the dealer who I brought it from (brought a couple of 911 from them in the past), and he said, as he knows the car well, he is happy to arrange an extended warranty and sort finances out for the new owner if required.

So someone will end up with a warrantied, easy finance, bargain soon.

Maybe better to expand your add to explain more on how you are able to 'offer" the finance and warranty, otherwise some readers may suspect you are a dodgy one man trader in the guise of a private seller.

spongebob squarepants said:
Zingari said:

I hate to admit it I spotted a 4C in Handforth whilst on leave, looked and sounded amazing, you really need to bring it to the September meet :thumb:

I have been looking out for them since B bought one and I must say they look fabulous with an enormous presence on the road. :thumb:

Handforth? My guess is a red or white one as I know of two from less than 500 UK registered in this neck of the woods. :roll:

I've seen the white one a couple of times. They really are a lot of car for the money. Watched the Supercar Build show on them the other day. Rather interesting.

Just had a call from the dealer, my car is ready - I'm quite excited to say the least.

Anyway, I've dropped the price to £28,995 as Id rather it go to someone then we-buy-anycar. But if it doesn't go this weekend I may well just take it to them.

Evans Halshaw were offering more last time I checked.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janders365
Back