Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Does 911 love conquer all (aka how bad is the standard 997 plastic dash)?

langers1970

Spa-Francorchamps
I have seen advertised a seemingly spiffy 3.6 997.1 for sale which piqued my interest as it has had the full Hartech Gold treatment, albeit some decade ago, liners in all the cylinders and properly serviced by them since. Presumably it is now mostly immune from the dreaded bore-score-draw? IMS also done, service record impeccible. Price is good, too.

The major downside is whoever specced up the car originally... didn't (mostly - see below). It's stock most things, including the dash.

How much will I feel I am missing out on the stitched leather? Having previously owned aircooled, I was quite used to lots of (albeit quality) plastic; but my "base" 2.5 986 had leather everything, which was lovely.

Other plusses include - surpsingly - fully adjustable hardbacks (looks like a bit of bolster wear) and the nifty sports steering wheel. Rear suspension replaced and supposedly £25k in receipts. Miles are good too.

As a general question, does lack of PASM on 3.6 mean ride is generally more forgiving (the car is on stock 18s, with Pirellis)? I don't really want anything too stiff.

The car might not quite be my first choice colour/wheel/spec, but it's not all that far off. The old addage springs to mind "Any 911 is better than no 911".

Should a plastic dash be a deal breaker? I've owned two 911s over the years and I'm planning this third time is forever. But would it be like being reunited with and marrying in your fifties your childhood sweetheart, knowing that she has fat ankles?

Does 911 love conquer all?

Last edited:
I've had both, you'll soon forget about the non leather dash.

Yep. Albeit on 997.2's. I'm not aware of any change between .1/2's dash finish. My GTS has the non leather dash and it wasn't until I gave it its first clean that I noticed.
Crack on if everything else is right👍

I've just looked at the advert and it looks the same as mine

Thanks a lot for the responses, much appreciated. I’ll try and book a viewing with seller and shall report back.

So I spoke to seller, nice chap. Got some more pics of the not so good stuff. Seats have outer bolster wear - this seems quite common on hard backs? A few small marks across front of car, bonnet and bumper mostly, about 8 I total.

It’s clearly not mint but these items should be easy live-withs or fixes. I’ve always bought from the type of person who irons their underwear so I’m not sure if these small signs are signs not totally cherished car? My gut feeling is still this could be The One.

Presumably the Nickasil liners should all but eradicate chance of bore-scoring, and give me the confidence of the old aircooled engines which I believe we’re made out of better quality metal

I would say if it is the car that you want, you could always get the dash re trimmed. Just a thought….

Can't see that hanging around for long. Great price for a Hartech 997.

Yea I agree. I think the peace of mind that a proper rebuild gives makes up for some of the relatively small issues. Leather can be refurbished easily, paint chips not too hard to make good. Possibly around £1000 to sort the inevitable aircon and other issues that will surface and for right side of £25k it’s suddenly a great car and a keeper. Seller is away but will be viewing on his return and shall report back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back