Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

headlights on 996 3.4 c2 - shocking

Toml said:
I polished my lenses AND fitted new +50% brighter type bulbs - was still like driving by candle light!

Now changed them out for LEDs and I can now see like in any other modern car. Not quite the level of the LEDs in my BMW, but nearly as good as the Xenons in my wife's Audi A4.

Tom,
What LEDs did you fit and do you have reflector or projector lights?

My 996.2 car has projector lights. I had poor LEDs in mine when I bought the car and tried uprated Halogens instead, they were no better. I then bought HIDS4U bulbs and they give a good light on the garage door but they have no hot spot so their range is not good. I'm planning to go to HIDs.

The HIDs4U kit (and I dare say others) is very easy to fit and reverse if necessary for MOT.

I fitted a set to my X5, best £70 I've ever spent on a car mod. Literally night and day difference over Nightbreakers or the Philips equivalent.

I did not tell my MOT guy about them, and they passed it without question. That said they are projector bulbs and the car has self levelling suspension.

Plenty of room behind the light unit in a Porsche for the ballasts too.

maldren said:
I then bought HIDS4U bulbs and they give a good light on the garage door but they have no hot spot so their range is not good. I'm planning to go to HIDs.

Ermmmmmmmmm, HIDS4U generally sell HIDs?!

@ Rob - Good to see another man happy with the HIDS4U 8)

maldren said:
Tom,
What LEDs did you fit and do you have reflector or projector lights?

My 996.2 car has projector lights. I had poor LEDs in mine when I bought the car and tried uprated Halogens instead, they were no better. I then bought HIDS4U bulbs and they give a good light on the garage door but they have no hot spot so their range is not good. I'm planning to go to HIDs.
I have a 996.2 so they are projector.

I bought these from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XHTN82

The retaining 'clips' in the light units needed a little dremeling to accept the bulb units. Took me about half an hour to fit both sides.

The return of Marty Wild said:
maldren said:
I then bought HIDS4U bulbs and they give a good light on the garage door but they have no hot spot so their range is not good. I'm planning to go to HIDs.

Ermmmmmmmmm, HIDS4U generally sell HIDs?!

@ Rob - Good to see another man happy with the HIDS4U 8)

Sorry, forgot to say it was their LEDs that I bought.....

thanks all.

no litronics as its an early mk1 so the truly pants halogen set up

going this route:
HID 55w H7R kit for low beam
uprate the main beam to Osram nightbreaker (is it H7 for high beam too?)
LED side lights
polish and UV seal the lights.
friendly MOT station too ;-)

should help.

Or £65 for all of the above ;-)

Take off a zero. Got wheel return and paint to do.

Dammit said:
~£650 for a set of Litronics which slide straight in.

Dammit,
I think you were very lucky to get them for £650, they don't seem to come up often and tend to go for rather more.

Just a thought though, are LHD and RHD Litronics the same, that would give a much larger pool of lights to buy from.

They can easily be changed from L-R hand drive, that's for sure.

I believe they are meant t have a switch on the backs to change from 'home" to 'Touring", which switches their throw. That said I have not checked the back of mine.

NLW73 said:
thanks all.

no litronics as its an early mk1 so the truly pants halogen set up

going this route:
HID 55w H7R kit for low beam
uprate the main beam to Osram nightbreaker (is it H7 for high beam too?)
LED side lights
polish and UV seal the lights.
friendly MOT station too ;-)

should help.

That is what I did, the headlight/fog light bulbs are all H7.

Del.

Gents

A bit of help. My 2003 C4S. I think I have Litronics but it doesn't have the washer jet so I'm a bit confused. The have the projector and it is a white light for mains and boring halogens for sides etc.

Any help appreciated as I want to change all for LEDs and new HID. Just need to know exactly what I need to order.

Also for the number plates (not stupid bright) and the interior lights.

Also assuming CANBUS?

If someone can give me a foolproof shopping list that would be great.

I found Alex on [email protected] really useful; he sorted my car out.

He did not lead me into LEDs, since I said "must be road-legal", but if you omitted that requirement I have no doubt he'll get you what you want.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back