Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early Sat Nav retrofit.

David Ramsbotham

Silverstone
Can anyone give me some advice/guidance about how to retrofit an early ( double din) OEM Sat Nav system ( from a 99 car) into my 2000 car that only has a standard radio ( no amp or cd changer )?
Thanks.

I understand your comment but applies to many things that have happened in the last 20 years!
I just happen to like most things in my car to be period correct!

Well I get that, but radio/nav is a convenience feature, which when taken straight from that particular era is not very convenient (nor good looking really) to use... There are other options that *look* period and car correct, while being actually usable today.
I'm not trying to convince you or anything, it's just that it will require quite a lot of work (given your current basic setup) and in the end the final effect will be very underwhelming (I mean... do you really want to burn audio CDs to put into the changer? or use 20 years old navigation?).

A good search on YouTube and in this forum will provide the needed info. Last year my friend converted his 996 from single to double. We put in the PPCM+ which keeps that nice original look. From memory the extra things needed were the cage and cubby. If the PCCM+ is too expensive there are a number of cheaper options that also look OE and in some cases give more functionality over the PCCM+ - also covered in detail on this forum. Good luck!

A good search on YouTube and in this forum will provide the needed info. Last year my friend converted his 996 from single to double. We put in the PPCM+ which keeps that nice original look. From memory the extra things needed were the cage and cubby. If the PCCM+ is too expensive there are a number of cheaper options that also look OE and in some cases give more functionality over the PCCM+ - also covered in detail on this forum. Good luck!
Thank you, I would really like to do it but just don’t know whether I am capable. Will tackle most things but anything electrical/electronic is a frustrating mystery to me!

It will also devalue the car compared to a car with the standard Becker head unit in it.

Many prefer the GT3 console delete over a double din PCCM+, let alone the nav that is now a quarter of a century old.

When you can fit this for £300 with Car Play, Android auto etc. why bother?
20231217_085908_81765cc20e6fec16f44c8007f14c664e3df50443.jpg

Personally I prefer the console delete, but that makes far more sense than the original PCM.

It will also devalue the car compared to a car with the standard Becker head unit in it.

Many prefer the GT3 console delete over a double din PCCM+, let alone the nav that is now a quarter of a century old.

When you can fit this for £300 with Car Play, Android auto etc. why bother?
View attachment 95680

Personally I prefer the console delete, but that makes far more sense than the original PCM.
What is this £300 piece of kit please, is it easy install in a gen1?

Aliexpress Sat Nav 🤨

1705881802153.jpeg

Unit from Aliexpress but you're being guided by Waze or Google maps...

Haha, I know, but quite a few have used them now and said they are pretty good.

A couple of people on facebook have said they have been more impressed with them than the PCCM+ they fitted originally, less flaky.
The Porsche one is just a Chinese Android unit, and using pretty old hardware, not even wireless Carplay.

My main concern with them would be the screen dimming, aftermarket, including units from manufacturers like Sony and Pioneer, don't tend to have an ambient light sensor on them, they just have a two settings for screen brightness, for when the headlights are on or off. The screen dimming or brightening when the cabin is darker or lighter is such a nice feature you don't notice until it is gone.

Nowt wrong with the cheap Android units for sub £200 apart from they can be a bit slow at times, but I suppose that may be down to a network issue if you're using online sat nav like waze or google.

love mine.

CjZCMhd.jpg

I think now they do them copying the Porsche design for buttons and font etc. is nice too.

Plus the latest gen versions have got so fast processing power wise over the last 12-18 months or so, they are meant to feel really snappy to use.

My issue with the hardwired ones, like the Pioneer I put in, was like Alex says, the 5g could be a bit hit and miss, but then it was in the cubby underneath. Drag the phone out and put it in your pocket or the passenger seat and it is much faster, hence why the Carplay wireless is so useful.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back