Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DSC Controller Group buy

pothole said:
Just as a counter point, my first impressions of the box aren't entirely positive.

I'd be happy with the new 'Sport' mode as the normal mode. It's very compliant, there's no need for anything softer.

I'm not totally wild about the overall driving experience. Objectively, it's good. Combines strong body control with good compliance. But the default softness makes the car feel a bit remote and disconnected and with a little float. To be clear, the system tightens up when any lateral or longitudinal loads are introduced. But the default damping is very soft and that robs the chassis of some feel.

I'd prefer the sport mode to be more focussed with the base damping level quite a bit firmer.

Would also be interesting to have the Sport mode running a fixed map and thus essentially running as passive dampers. In an ideal world, you'd have three settings. Normal and sport active modes and a focused passive mode.

I can make it do anything - if you want sport mode to be normal and have a more damped Sports mode these are things I can write for you.

Just get in touch.

Ken

pothole said:
Just as a counter point, my first impressions of the box aren't entirely positive.

I'd be happy with the new 'Sport' mode as the normal mode. It's very compliant, there's no need for anything softer.

I'm not totally wild about the overall driving experience. Objectively, it's good. Combines strong body control with good compliance. But the default softness makes the car feel a bit remote and disconnected and with a little float. To be clear, the system tightens up when any lateral or longitudinal loads are introduced. But the default damping is very soft and that robs the chassis of some feel.

I'd prefer the sport mode to be more focussed with the base damping level quite a bit firmer.

Would also be interesting to have the Sport mode running a fixed map and thus essentially running as passive dampers. In an ideal world, you'd have three settings. Normal and sport active modes and a focused passive mode.

I spent a few days with the software to rewrite the maps......ITs all free from the DSC website with different variations of the default maps which you can download. There is a really good tutorial doc as well, takes some concentrating to understand but great fun .........or you can ask Ken to do it for you :grin:

@pothole, I basically agree with your objective assessment, and it seems like you're in luck as the DSC is configurable to your specific wants.

It was a while ago that I fitted the magic box, but one of the advantages - that I haven't seen mentioned in this round - is the improved front end control, where the awful porpoising is eliminated (as well as anti-squat, anti-dive, improved body control, improved bump absorption and flatter cornering etc).

I tend to run in 'comfort' (PASM in non-sport mode) if just pootling around, but the moment you want to 'press on', the enhanced sport mode (or whatever it's called) is just excellent, and you can use it far more than just at the track and I would still recommend it as an essential upgrade to anyone with PASM as it improves both the daily and fast-road driveability.

NineExcellence said:
pothole said:

I can make it do anything - if you want sport mode to be normal and have a more damped Sports mode these are things I can write for you.

Just get in touch.

Ken

Thanks, I will do.

I've patched in the accelerometer today - however, I've wired into the stereo CANBUS connectors.

I assume CAN+ equals CAN HI and CAN- equals CAN LOW? As I'd prefer to the leave the OEM loom intact if possible.

It also meant I could strip and solder (oooo-er!) in the comfort - if the plan works!!

jonttt said:
I spent a few days with the software to rewrite the maps......ITs all free from the DSC website with different variations of the default maps which you can download. There is a really good tutorial doc as well, takes some concentrating to understand but great fun .........or you can ask Ken to do it for you :grin:

Had a quick look at the software tutorial.

At a glance it seems like it's very simple to increase the default damping level before the system reacts to any dynamic inputs, which is chiefly what I would like in sport mode.

One thing I couldn't totally work out was whether you can update the box with it plugged into the car. In an ideal world, you'd leave the USB cable plugged in and tucked away and be able to pull it out and plug it into your laptop to make a quick update. I suspect this is probably the case, but the only reference to this aspect was rather garbled and contradictory.

On the software side, the data logging looks interesting!

With the USB driver installed, should it just plug into a USB port and then detect the device? Or do you need to preconfigure the COM port?

pothole said:
jonttt said:

Had a quick look at the software tutorial.

At a glance it seems like it's very simple to increase the default damping level before the system reacts to any dynamic inputs, which is chiefly what I would like in sport mode.

One thing I couldn't totally work out was whether you can update the box with it plugged into the car. In an ideal world, you'd leave the USB cable plugged in and tucked away and be able to pull it out and plug it into your laptop to make a quick update. I suspect this is probably the case, but the only reference to this aspect was rather garbled and contradictory.

Yep I have done exactly this. Left a usb plugged in tucked away and made changes to it while installed works fine. Both with car on or off - also you need to use it like this for the data logging and fault code checking.

remarklima said:

With the USB driver installed, should it just plug into a USB port and then detect the device? Or do you need to preconfigure the COM port?

Detected it right away and configured the com port correctly for me. But otherwise it is easy to change it in the software.

They also recommending using the reset board functionality to test the connection so it is super quick and easy to know if you have a working connection or not.

dn4sty said:
remarklima said:

Detected it right away and configured the com port correctly for me. But otherwise it is easy to change it in the software.

They also recommending using the reset board functionality to test the connection so it is super quick and easy to know if you have a working connection or not.

Weird, my Windows 10 Pro laptop firstly didn't have any ports listed in device manager, and plugging in the DSC controller it didn't detect anything plugged into the USB... I've added the Silicon Labs driver manually so will try again and see if it's picks it up now.

remarklima said:
dn4sty said:
remarklima said:

Weird, my Windows 10 Pro laptop firstly didn't have any ports listed in device manager, and plugging in the DSC controller it didn't detect anything plugged into the USB... I've added the Silicon Labs driver manually so will try again and see if it's picks it up now.

Turns out it was a duff USB cable - I've not got many Mini USB's kicking around any more!

Next issue to check the 3 axis is working 100%. As I patched into the ISO harness rather than the OEM loom I'm not sure if the CAN+ and CAN- equates to CAN HI and CAN LO.

In the data logging, does anyone know what signals would show the 3 axis accelerometer working?

Pretty much agree with this. It has transformed the car (90K miles, with all original suspension parts). Love it.

MaxA said:
@pothole, I basically agree with your objective assessment, and it seems like you're in luck as the DSC is configurable to your specific wants.

It was a while ago that I fitted the magic box, but one of the advantages - that I haven't seen mentioned in this round - is the improved front end control, where the awful porpoising is eliminated (as well as anti-squat, anti-dive, improved body control, improved bump absorption and flatter cornering etc).

I tend to run in 'comfort' (PASM in non-sport mode) if just pootling around, but the moment you want to 'press on', the enhanced sport mode (or whatever it's called) is just excellent, and you can use it far more than just at the track and I would still recommend it as an essential upgrade to anyone with PASM as it improves both the daily and fast-road driveability.

Just about to post a for sale add up for my DSC Sport Controller for 997.2 purchased from Ken in February 2021 - £800

PM me for more details :thumb:

Any sign of another group buy in the near future?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ors97
Back