Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 Stripped for colour change - SUGGESTIONS

That's looking so good in the flesh now!

Thanks for posting all the upgrade and new parts details too, that's really helpful, and some food for thought in my own planned changes.

One thing I have tried already, is the headlight surrounds. And although mine work less well than your due to the darker colour, it does make an improvement.

IMG-3648-4.jpg

IMG-3650.jpg

I do need to tweek them a bit and obviously need to spray the washers now as well!

:thumbs:

C11BRA said:
Oooooooh.

Thanks for the mention. Honoured.

Great car and thread. Congratulations.
I read all of it as I hadn't been around between around 2017 and 2022. I started p1ss1ng myself on the very first page at the rear lid badging comments. Pleased you kept it.

Thanks very much for the compliments :cloud9:

JonnieD said:

Thanks for posting all the upgrade and new parts details too, that's really helpful, and some food for thought in my own planned changes.

One thing I have tried already, is the headlight surrounds. And although mine work less well than your due to the darker colour, it does make an improvement.

IMG-3648-4.jpg

IMG-3650.jpg

I do need to tweek them a bit and obviously need to spray the washers now as well!

They look excellent! You've done a far better job than I would be capable of. Painting the headlamp washer jets will help it blend too.

If you do go ahead with any changes, don't change your mind halfway through like I did. Oh, and start a thread, it would be great to see more ideas :thumb:

plavix said:
Also, I've been having a wander around the Internet, as you do. I think I would . . .

Porsche%20911%20Sport%20Classic%20FoS-4.jpg

Not sure my eyes could focus on the Pepita? Linus might tell me I'm not allowed :wack: :dont know:

Yep - migraine inducing - who's Linus?

Car looks fab by the way :thumbs:

plavix said:
JonnieD said:

They look excellent! You've done a far better job than I would be capable of. Painting the headlamp washer jets will help it blend too.

If you do go ahead with any changes, don't change your mind halfway through like I did. Oh, and start a thread, it would be great to see more ideas :thumb:

Thank you. Those skills come from lots of time spent repairing my motor bikes and cars over the years!

Doing the washer jets will help too I'm sure, they do stand out now.

I will start a new thread once I get going on my changes :thumb:

Super vid on GT3 engine swap love the 997 sleeper. Had not realised it was that involved. Think Hartech 3.9 will be a bit more economical in UK. Having said that I think Hartech equally well equipped to do a GT3 engine swap as are many other indies. I’d fear the cost may be too high for mezger route in UK but you’d certainly have one of the most desirable 911s out there. The 996 Classic Club Coupe sold for a meagre $1.3m to Seinfeld. Looks a fun piece of kit.

OttoOtto said:
Yep - migraine inducing - who's Linus?

Car looks fab by the way :thumbs:
Thank you :thumb:

My bad, it's Linas of DesignLS. He does interiors. Quite well.
JonnieD said:
Thank you. Those skills come from lots of time spent repairing my motor bikes and cars over the years!

Doing the washer jets will help too I'm sure, they do stand out now.

I will start a new thread once I get going on my changes :thumb:
I tend to fix one thing, then break two :dont know:

Looking forward to your thread!
IMI A said:
Super vid on GT3 engine swap live the 997 sleeper. Had not realised it was that involved. Think Hartech 3.9 will be a bit more economical in UK. Having said that I think Hartech equally well equipped to do a GT3 engine swap as are many other indies. I’d fear the cost may be too high for mezger route in UK but you’d certainly have one of the most desirable 911s out there. The 996 Classic Club Coupe sold for a meagre $1.3m to Seinfeld. Looks a fun piece of kit.
Obviously I'd love to swap to a GT3 engine, and gearbox. The video gave the impression of not so difficult and not so long to swap. Then towards the end, the bombshell of the actual magnitude of the parts that needed replacing was dropped.

Seriously cool idea though.

I have to be honest the base 3.6 engine in yours a belter. Where conditions allow I never really top 170mph in mine unless doing top speed days on track. When Porsche gave me 997.1 3.6 C2 and 997.2 3.6 C2 in the days when OPC would always give you a 911 loan car I had them on the autobahn at 170mph too. Only thing I didn’t like was the nose bobbing up and down on the rwd models especially through long sweepers but the C2 kept going at 170mph for mile after mile no probs at all and I think on straight I saw 178mph on speedo. Sweet engines and for UK roads perfect as you can rev them out very easily. Long geared GT3 with 8000-8500rpm red line really designed for track work. If I had yours and perhaps lost an engine I’d head down big bore route as real world a 3.9 conversion would be quicker it’s always in its peak torque band on road. I think Sid at Porsche Torque has done a few of these too. Same with Autofarm. Something for you to research over next few years as these conversions will only get better. Enjoy the tour end of the month looking forward to some cool pics :thumbs:

Thanks Imran, good sense as always.

Honestly, I've never found my car to be particularly 'slow' in normal driving on the road. On track it's left me feeling that a little more would be a bonus, particularly on the straights, less so on the twisty bits. I've certainly never gone much beyond the limits of either the road or track. I've always paid more attention to geometry and tyres, not chipping or air filters. I absolutely love driving it in the snow with winter tyres, and can happily donut it on ice for ages :wack:

I've driven most variants of Porsche, although never an RS; a 997 Turbo with 650whp was perhaps one of the most memorable, which also left me with no desire to own one as I would kill either myself, or worse, someone else. Top speed on my road bike (pedalling) is 90.7kph, so I can't really be trusted with speed.

A 996 GT3 with a front-end missing would make an excellent donor for drivetrain; realistically it will probably go to Hartech either winter '25 or when it blows up. Whichever is sooner. I will probably pop-in to Autofarm after I pick the car up next week, as it's on the way home and it would be rude not to.

I'm also dropping-in on Linas next week on my way to France. :thumbs:

My car is finally home. Personally I think it looks a bit miserable and wants to go on a road trip . . .

rVG4bS0.jpg

Please don't judge the vinyl registration plate; it's temporary until my plinth arrives.

Serviced at OPC Wolverhampton, the service department really are lovely. They found a few extra things that required attention such as a drive belt needed changing. Brake fluid change and gearbox oil change carried out at the same time.

Waiting for the ferry on Wednesday . . .

5kedzNZ.jpg

On the ferry. The front splitter survived!

lqKu9sJ.jpg

Arrived . . .

Q3RxvNz.jpg

Thanks Imran :thumbs:

Also, you were right about the attention. It had only been out in the wild for thirty minutes and received a "nice colour" compliment at the petrol station. Driving in France has been insane, as I've had people young and old coming up to me to talk about it and many people giving me thumbs up when driving!

It's funny though, as the only place I've not had any compliments was in Birmingham :floor:

plavix said:
Thanks Imran :thumbs:

Also, you were right about the attention. It had only been out in the wild for thirty minutes and received a "nice colour" compliment at the petrol station. Driving in France has been insane, as I've had people young and old coming up to me to talk about it and many people giving me thumbs up when driving!

It's funny though, as the only place I've not had any compliments was in Birmingham :floor:

The attention won't stop!

Something about the 911 silhouette that draws people towards it especially in a funky colour. Also owners much more approachable than the Supercar crowd.

I've posted a few pics of yours on Pistonheads. I think quite a few of them from Birmingham too! :grin:

IMI A said:
I've posted a few pics of yours on Pistonheads. I think quite a few of them from Birmingham too! :grin:
I suppose it's a good thing not getting any attention in Birmingham. Ten days and counting; it's not been keyed yet :eek:

French roads are so much more interesting:

nmW2dkq.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back