Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 Stripped for colour change - SUGGESTIONS

plavix

Mugello
If you're lazy and want to get to the end of the project, start HERE

My C4 is completely stripped ready for a colour change. As there is nothing in there, I'm looking for suggestions for any additional jobs. My thoughts so far are:

1. Tidy up additional wiring, such as the PASM retrofit loom and the PSE retrofit loom.
2. Remove the Mobridge and replace the PCM unit with PCCM+, which I'll have to do myself.
3. I'm toying with bringing the retrim forward, just because everything is out of the car. I'd like to go Cocoa, but unsure where to start.

Other jobs that will get done are replace the air-con rads with new units.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I should probably do whilst it's stripped bare?

Attachments

• b2aea115_c189_44f9_ae76_3c65527d7f10_1_105_c_126.jpeg
    b2aea115_c189_44f9_ae76_3c65527d7f10_1_105_c_126.jpeg
    269.1 KB · Views: 4,129
Last edited:
All I want to know is, what colour are you going for? :D

I've loved Atlas Grey since I collected the car back in 2012. It's not going to be Atlas Grey.

Crikey, it's happening... 👍 good luck buddy. I think Cocoa will look amazing. I think I'd want different seats trimmed in Cocoa though. A set of carbon back buckets would be amazing, but prices have gone through the roof. Are you keeping the back seats and do you want them accessible? Hard to go wrong with a set of Recaro Pole Positions if not, or Recaro CS Sportsters if you want them to fold.

Carbon interior, such as the centre tunnel would tie in with some of the other carbon work you're having done. There are a few bits listed on eBay, and there are one or two companies online that do OE quality carbon interior trim in the same small weave.

Exciting! Best part is choosing a new colour 8)porsche_75_art_1024x484_119.jpg

Last edited:
1marc said:
Crikey, it's happening... 👍 good luck buddy. I think Cocoa will look amazing. I think I'd want different seats trimmed in Cocoa though. A set of carbon back buckets would be amazing, but prices have gone through the roof. Are you keeping the back seats and do you want them accessible? Hard to go wrong with a set of Recaro Pole Positions if not, or Recaro CS Sportsters if you want them to fold.

Carbon interior, such as the centre tunnel would tie in with some of the other carbon work you're having done. There are a few bits listed on eBay, and there are one or two companies online that do OE quality carbon interior trim in the same small weave.

If I could find the buckets at a reasonable cost I might go down that route. I really like my sport seats though. Does anyone have a set of Recaro CS Sportsters in their car I can sit in?

If I stick with the sport seats the centre tunnel and the seat backs will get painted in exterior colour, same as they were when I installed them. Toying with having some additional bits painted in exterior colour, mainly to remove all trace of Volcano Grey and refresh some of the plastics.

IMI A said:
Exciting! Best part is choosing a new colour 8)
That's been the hardest part! I think I've decided. At least Tyrone at Riviera thinks I've decided 😂

Ha that was easiest part for me. I'd chosen Mint Green at outset. Just kept it quiet other than my inner circle who literally all to a man , woman and child tried to dissuade me. No class or taste my circle of friends inc my Indy! 😁

Thats a little harsh of me actually quite a few friends and family wanted Viper Green and Gulf Orange. My son wanted Rubystone Red. All would have looked amazing.

Love how my 997 came out exactly as I imagined. Riviera will do you proud my yellow 9m RS was by those guys and Yellow Peril won R21 concours best overall car in 2019. You're in very good hands with that paint shop 8)

bb47cad4_ae29_453c_8dbe_69066e6670d9_155.jpggl66r7lmtuklnbfgicjbiq_thumb_d73e_157.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_dc4c_178.jpgksxrriesqywhamlkmhozqw_thumb_c564_579.jpgvn4ujsotlyzaeew3giqlw_thumb_c8a2_174.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious, what's the quantum of cost for a full body respray? £10 k? £5k?

It's something I'd love to do, but would be good to plan a war chest for it!

Your RS looks amazing, however, I think Minty looks better. I'm really happy with Riviera Autobody so far, I spent a day there stripping my seats down. I tried not to annoy anyone, but probably did!

@remarklima My glass out colour change is a bit more than a respray, plus my costs are more difficult to isolate as they're included with additional work. From my experience Shorade (Porsche approved body shop) wanted around £8K to 'tidy up' my paintwork, absolutely nowhere near a respray. I've seen resprays that were £4K, and you really can tell as the paint has begun to bubble. I have a friend who had his TVR completely resprayed for £10K, where he sent the stripped car to a local paint shop.

Personally, I would want to aim for around £7.5K for a respray, factoring in additional work will almost certainly be required. This will include new roof seals at least, door seals almost certainly. That excludes finding things you didn't know about before you bought the car, such as a bit more filler than expected etc. Glass out proper respray will need to factor in glass removal and additional trim removal.

I would highly recommend speaking to Tyrone at Riviera.

Cheers Minty came out even better than I could have hoped.

Some ideas for you in the pics. CSR style rear ducktail, rear bumper, central exhaust back box and front GT3 pu. Would look even more cool on the 44mm wider C4 bodywork IMO with nice set of 9 and 12 inch alloys with 245 and 325 rubber. I'd throw a set of TracTive Touring on too. Then 3.9 the engine if it ever needs a rebuild. So many possibilities.

Can't wait to see how you reimagine your 997. I've seen some really nice restomod 997s out of RPM recently I think they've nailed it with the 997 looks. I've seen both the Gulf Blue and Green Met in the flesh both looked amazing. Best looking modern 911 for me the 997 with a few tweaks :D

unadjustednonraw_thumb_10ed4_199.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_10ed3_178.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_10ed2_157.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_10ed6_146.jpgunadjustednonraw_thumb_10ed5_171.jpg

Last edited:
I really do like the look of the CSR.

Ducktail is being prepped in the next couple of weeks. I already had the Gen 1 Aerokit front and originally wanted to keep it. However, it's always needed something to balance out the rear, so I'm going a slightly different route.

The centre exhaust looks fantastic on the GT3, but I want to not have it mistaken for a GT3. Once again, I'm going a different route, if I ever get my hands on the parts which are in "technical discussions with the supplier" according to Porsche in Germany. It will be a temporary fix for the rear PU sadly.

Wheels, roof and bonnet I'm decided on and have at least.

As for engine, I'm going to have to balance between either getting an interior change or getting an engine conversion to whatever version is available at Hartech and I can afford in the time it will take them to get me booked in!

I've driven C2 and the 3.6 is a sweet unit. I'd not even think about doing anything until a trusted indy tells you it needs a rebuild hopefully never.

Look forward to seeing the colour once you and Riviera have finished with it. Be bold! :thumbs:

Attachments

• unadjustednonraw_thumb_10eda_103.jpg
    unadjustednonraw_thumb_10eda_103.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 3,561
Thanks IMI A - really useful tips and having a bit of a war chest for the unknowns and bodged rust etc...

See man maths says, a respray, an engine rebuild and all the extras is still cheaper than a new car right ;)

Its worth it to make your 911 your own IMO and you don't have to spend a fortune to do it properly. Riviera, Precision Porsche, RPM you'll get a really nicely personalised 911. Limit is really your own imagination. I'd budget circa £11.5k from somewhere like RPM for a glass out respray when you inc new rubber seals etc. Where the costs start spiralling is when you start to spec ducktails, GT3/CSR front end, GT3/CSR rear bumper etc :wink:

IMI A said:
I've driven C2 and the 3.6 is a sweet unit. I'd not even think about doing anything until a trusted indy tells you it needs a rebuild hopefully never.

Look forward to seeing the colour once you and Riviera have finished with it. Be bold! :thumbs:
I've decided that it's more the conversion that I'm after, rather than a rebuild. In my more than ten years of ownership I added the third radiator (FWIW), it's had an oil change every six to nine months, and been allowed to warm up before driving it like I stole it. At almost 115,000 miles it's probably earned a little TLC!

As for colour, well I'm still open to suggestions, don't tell Ty, as long as they're not grey, silver, blue or black.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back