Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How many microswitches in door?

Blue Eyez

Nurburgring
Does anyone know how many micro switches there are in the passenger door of a facelift. I think there maybe 2 in the lock and 1 other, 3 in total.
Would anyone also know what each one does/control and if there is any link between them and the cab roof and interior lights and the windows.

The only thing I can think of that could connect them all together is the roof switch inside the car and the key :?:

SEVEN.

Richard H said:
Sounds like the microswitch inside the door lock assembly which senses if the door is open or closed has stuck:

DOOR MICROSWITHES

There are seven microswitches in each door which control the alarm system.

Two are separate switches:

a) One on the outside door handle. This switch is used to sense that the handle is lifted.
b) One on the inside door handle, which has the same function.

When the car is unlocked and either handle is lifted, this signals the alarm control module (ACM) to lower the appropriate window by 10mm, and turn on the interior lights. As soon as the door opens, another switch inside the door lock (explained later) tells the ACM that the door is open, which holds the window down until the door is closed, when the window is raised, and the dimming timer on the interior lights is started. Once the car is locked, the outside handle switches are ignored by the ACM.

The remaining five switches are inside the door lock assembly:

c) One switch senses if the door is open or closed.
d) One senses that the key has been turned to the 'lock' position.
e) Another senses that the key has been turned to the 'unlock' position.
f) One senses that the door lock motor has reached the 'lock' position.
g) Another senses that the door lock motor has reached the 'unlock' position.

TYPICAL FAULTS

All these microswitches can be problematic, and it is common for one or more to fail at some time. These are some of the common failures and symptoms:

1) The door window won't drop when lifting a handle. This is usually the handle microswitch which has failed.

2) The window drops, but goes back up when the door opens. This can be the handle microswitch, or more likely the 'door open/closed microswitch' (c) has stuck. Because the system thinks the door is still closed, it sends the window back up.

3) Door window won't go up the last 10mm. This is likely to be the 'door open/closed microswitch' (c) stuck in the opposite sense to (2). The system thinks the door is still open, so won't allow the window to go back up. Note that in this case the door will still lock, but you may get a single-beep from the alarm horn.

4) Door will not lock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (d) is broken. This is very rare, as this microswitch is hardly ever used – most times the car is locked by remote.

5) Door will not unlock with key. The 'key lock' microswitch (e) is broken. This is also very rare, for the same reason.

6) Door locks, and then immediately unlocks, usually accompanied by a double-beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door locked' microswitch (f). The locking motor physically operates the door lock, but the microswitch to sense this has failed/stuck. The ACM promptly unlocks the car. In this case, the only way to lock the door is to use the emergency locking procedure. Turn the key in the door to the lock position and back three times in quick succession.

7) The door unlocks, but there is a beep from the alarm horn. This is the 'door unlocked' microswitch (g). Although the door is unlocked, the ACM has not recognised that. The alarm will not sound, as turning the key in the lock has deactivated it.

FIXES

The inside and outside handle microswitches are available separately, and are not too expensive. Although alternative equivalent switches may be available, the genuine Porsche switch comes with a connector and wiring, so it makes sense to use an original. Part Numbers:

Inside handle microswitch: 996.613.123.00 (Same both sides)
Outside handle microswitch: 996.613.125.00 (Left) / 996.613.126.00 (Right)

The door lock microswitches are not available separately. You have to buy the complete door lock assembly, at a cost of around £80+VAT. It has been known for people to repair the offending switch though.

Thanks Paul. I had read the thread many many times but in my case it still leaves me with questions as to what maybe causing the problems.
I even spoke to my main dealer who assured me there were only 3 switches and the door lock is actually£118.00 plus vat.
I think in my case it needs someone with an in depth knowledge of what the micro switches do with the information once one has been activated and how each one could be linked.
It's booked in tomorrow morning to see if there is something that connects the issues which are.

Driving along and interior lights come on.
Passenger window drops and raises an inch repeatedly fast over a 20sec period.
Windows both sides drop whilst car stationary and unlocked.
Roof opens whilst stationary and unlocked or when key is removed from ignition.

I will get there in the end
:bye:

The alarm control module connects all those switches and the interior lights together.

Check that the alarm control module is dry. It is located under the passenger seat (RHD) at the lowest point of the floor pan. Any water ingress gravitates to the alarm module, and causes problems like this. Cabrios are particularly prone.

Hi Richard, thank you I have done that and also checked the small brass connector that I believe can come loose. All that seems to be fine, but I'm thinking more and more your right or something to do with water getting in.

Blue Eyez said:
It's booked in tomorrow morning to see if there is something that connects the issues which are.

Driving along and interior lights come on.
Passenger window drops and raises an inch repeatedly fast over a 20sec period.
Windows both sides drop whilst car stationary and unlocked.
Roof opens whilst stationary and unlocked or when key is removed from ignition.

:eek:
If the diagnostics check doesn't locate the problem, maybe you should take it to an exorcist? :)

So Just got the car back from having a diagnostics check done. Here was it threw up.

Alarm132
Currents Fault codes.
Radio Receiver defective
Occurance Counter 3
The fault is displayed for informational purposes, it is not an indication of a problem and no repair is needed.
Door lock cycle open
Occurance counter :1
Door lock barrel open actuated longer than 60s
Occurance Counter:59

Everything else was clear.

Whats the thoughts please guys? Been advised I need a new Alarm module and 3 keys coded £744.00
Edit/Delete Message

Ouch try Porsche apart

Ignore code 54, as it isn't present.

Fault code 3
Door lock barrel 'open', actuated for longer than 60 s
Diagnostic conditions
- 60 s waiting time
Possible cause of fault
♦ Incorrect operation, door lock actuated to 'open' for longer than 60 s
♦ Short circuit to voltage/ground or open circuit in the wiring between the alarm system control module and both door locks
♦ Door lock faulty

Fault code 5
Door lock barrel 'open', short circuit to ground
Diagnostic conditions
- Door lock barrel actuated to 'open'
Possible cause of fault
♦ Short circuit to ground/open circuit in the wiring between the alarm system control module and both door locks
♦ Door lock faulty

Sounds like the microwswitch which senses the key turned to the unlock position has stuck. I doubt it is the control module.

Hi Richard, thank you again for replying, really appreciated.
So going by what my dealer has said ( they don't supply the micro switches for the ones in the door locks ) would it be a case of buying 2 new door locks, one for either side?

You can't buy the door lock microswitches separately - you have to buy the door lock assembly. It is most likely to be the driver's side, as that is the one with the door lock barrel - the passenger side has the switches, but no lock barrel. (The switches are present for LHD cars.)

Have you tried repeatedly locking and unlocking the car with the key in the door lock? It might free up the microswitch. If not, a new lock assembly is about £90 plus fitting.

Hi Guys,
Could it simply be that the key is malfunctioning? Has the key been dropped in a puddle, etc? or is one of the buttons stuck?
I admit to knowing nothing (yet) about Porsches, but am learning as I go.
Try leaving the remote key away from the car and use the spare.
Just a thought.....

Richard, thanks I will have a day tomorrow to work on it. I will take the door panels off to see if there is anything obvious. I did spray WD40 in there a few days ago. I will then lock and unlock as you suggest.

David. thanks for the suggestion. I have 3 keys and I did change keys in case it was the key. It made no difference, I had the interior lights come on whilst driving whilst using the new key :thumb:

If you are taking the door panel off, you might as well take off the lock assembly. You can take it apart, to see if the switch is obviously jammed. When you put it back, be VERY careful to make sure the blade on the end of the key barrel engages in the door lock. It is easy to assemble it without, and then you find that the key doesn't work. Check it before you put the panel back on.

Am I right in thinking it's not the part that is on the other side of the door handle and barrel I need to take apart but the black plastic part that is on the side of the door that strikes the u bar when closing the car?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back