Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Which 911 convertible would you buy for £25K

Tyremanrob

Monza
So as the title suggests I have a budget of around £25K to purchase my first 911 although not my first Porsche, my problem is that I keep changing my mind as to which model to buy.

My initial choice was to look for a C4S because I love the wide body, it needs to be a soft top because that's my wifes preference and the car is a compromise between what we both want.

We all know that the C4S is a potential future classic or certainly the current asking prices are based on that premise so I'm now doubting my judgement and wondering whether to look for an early 997 or alternatively a narrow bodied 996 ?

I still love the 996 C4S but I'm not convinced that they are worth the extra value currently attached to them.

It's probably worth adding that I'm reasonably handy with the tools and have lots of contacts within the motor industry so I'm not scared of taking on a bit of a project and investing some cash. That's not to say that I'm not concerned by the usual IMS,RMS & bore scoring issues :lol:

Any advice would be appreciated especially if you've owned multiple models of the variants mentioned, the only advice I don't need is to up the budget because that's not a realistic option. :thumb:

The premium you need to pay for a C4S over a narrow bodied 996 has always been there and hasn't changed much over the years. People are prepared to pay it primarily because of the wide body and that red stripe when in fact it's a slower and less agile 911.

It's a very personal choice between the 996 and 997 and depends upon how you feel about the totally different front ends.

Arguably all 996s are starting to attain 'modern classic' status and that, combined with the post-lockdown spending, has pushed prices of all 911s up. 997s never fell to the same low value that996s did so it's rarer to find one that has been bought cheap and run on a shoestring budget.

That said, £25k used to be a healthy budget for a 997, let alone a 996, but that's changing day by day so don't wait too long. :wink:

T8 said:
The premium you need to pay for a C4S over a narrow bodied 996 has always been there and hasn't changed much over the years. People are prepared to pay it primarily because of the wide body and that red stripe when in fact it's a slower and less agile 911.

It's a very personal choice between the 996 and 997 and depends upon how you feel about the totally different front ends.

Arguably all 996s are starting to attain 'modern classic' status and that, combined with the post-lockdown spending, has pushed prices of all 911s up. 997s never fell to the same low value that996s did so it's rarer to find one that has been bought cheap and run on a shoestring budget.

That said, £25k used to be a healthy budget for a 997, let alone a 996, but that's changing day by day so don't wait too long. :wink:

If it was me I would wait a bit, I think prices are silly at the moment, dealers seem to be buying all the cheap private sale stock and pushing the prices up, and in some cases are asking silly money, not sure if said cars are selling or not, I seem to see the same cars for sale week on week. This of course is not just happening with Porsche but most other cars as well. I can't see how the current trend will continue as we start to get back to normal, and think there is an adjustment in prices on the horizon.

What would I buy, well I did, and I still think the 996 C4S is a lovely car (even better in a coupe) and will always be special. Its quite unique, desirable, and handsome - get a decent one with a manual box and you can't go wrong. :thumb:

I bought a C4 tiptronic cabas opposed to a C4s tiptronic cab and saved £10k for effectively the same car.

I also have a 997 manual coupe and prefer my 996 cab. You just cannot beat a convertible! Plus you have the lid for winter.

There's nothing worth having for £25k, that's been my problem for the last few years. Either spend around £15k and get a narrow body Gen 1 996 or £35k and get a Gen 2 997. The only other option it to hope a Gen 1 997 with full Hartech rebuild comes up for sale but an S with a manual box is rarer than hens teeth (unless you wanna pay over £30k).

Alex said:
There's nothing worth having for £25k, that's been my problem for the last few years. Either spend around £15k and get a narrow body Gen 1 996 or £35k and get a Gen 2 997. The only other option it to hope a Gen 1 997 with full Hartech rebuild comes up for sale but an S with a manual box is rarer than hens teeth (unless you wanna pay over £30k).

Some really valid points made and I have to say that this is my problem, some quite nice 996 narrow bodied cars available at sensible prices, low to mid teens.

Not much between £20 & £25K that looks like it's worth the risk, I might wait until the Winter as suggested by Boba fett.

Get a Targa

I like a Turbo Cab. Otherwise I would prefer a targa. Its probably better handling too compared to a cab I would imagine.

mavster said:
I like a Turbo Cab. Otherwise I would prefer a targa. Its probably better handling too compared to a cab I would imagine.

The Targa is a cab with the targa top welded in place on assembly so I'd have thought the handling would be pretty much the same.

I think the Targa is probably more rigid than the Cab so should handle more like a Coupe. I just prefer the unique look of the targa on anything upto a 997 C4S model. Like I said a Turbo cab also looks the part

...it is just an option, I do note the OP asked about Cabs which is a compromise

I think you need to decide how much you're actually happy spending.
Your first post says £25k but then a few posts later you're mentioning cars for low to mid teens. :dont know:

Surely if you have £25k and like the 996C4S, then you'd you'd just go and buy a 996 C4S.
As Terry T8 days the premium has always been there and always will. The difference in price won't get any smaller, so if it's a keeper then the sooner the better to get into one.
I've never heard anyone say I wish I'd waited a bit longer before I bought that 911. Either money wise or enjoyment wise. They rarely come down and if they do it isn't by much. Certainly not life changing figures anyway.
Plus if there is a crash most owners just sit tight. Nobody offloads a toy when the market has crashed. Same with property. Bar the odd forced sale, all that happens is supply dries up.

Good luck deciding. It sounds like you're happier spending mid teens though. No harm in that but you need to decide before even looking at different cars. . :thumb:

mavster said:
I think the Targa is probably more rigid than the Cab so should handle more like a Coupe. I just prefer the unique look of the targa on anything upto a 997 C4S model. Like I said a Turbo cab also looks the part

...it is just an option, I do note the OP asked about Cabs which is a compromise

Coupes drive noticeable better than cabs, the 996 is quite wobbly. I have not drove a Targa, as said it will be more rigid though. I also think the the cab loses its looks quite a bit especially the 996. There is not many cars designed to be a coupe, that once have the roof cut off are the better looking car (E46 M3 springs to mind) however you cannot beat a bit of roof down motoring especially with a nice engine note.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravioli
Back