Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 996 this week......?

Low temp thermostat this week.

Marky911 said:
Dammit

I'm well jell. :mrgreen:
Where'd you find that factory 996 cup holder?

Ordered left and right from Type911.co.uk, not cheap - but if you want the proper thing, you want the proper thing.

Diggermeister said:
Bought nothing, saved a good few quid getting one of our workshop fabricators to patch a crack in the not inexpensive stainless 'zorst manifold.

IWaZP7YB.jpg

:eek: I actually thought you were working under a car perched on 2 bits of old stone, til I saw the axle stand!

I've bought my 4S some nice cleaning stuff this week, in anticipation of a detailing regimen in due course. Its had enough spent on it for the time being with its stupid AOS. :x

Dammit said:
Marky911 said:
Dammit

Ordered left and right from Type911.co.uk, not cheap - but if you want the proper thing, you want the proper thing.

Cool. I'll have a look. I like a bit of OEM accessorising. :thumb:

Marky911 said:
Dammit said:
Marky911 said:
Dammit

Cool. I'll have a look. I like a bit of OEM accessorising. :thumb:

I found my cup holders in the side pockets. Didn't know what they were till I asked on here.

Another 996 by the looks of it :sad:

How many cars is too many :?:

MMT said:
I found my cup holders in the side pockets. Didn't know what they were till I asked on here.

Yes MMT, it was your thread I first saw them in. Up until then I thought the mk1s simply didn't have any. :thumb:

KurlyKris

Good shopping!
The answer to your question is you can never have too many cars.
Too many of the same marque possibly but never too many cars.

I look forward to a thread on the new steed. 8) [/u]

A set of brand new, unused genuine floor mats to go in place of my grey ones that are a bit impractical due to showing every bit of grime.

£80 delivered.

I'm not sure whether black are worse.
I pondered this and ended up sticking with grey from opc Nottingham.

This week I have mainly treated the old girl to a bit of internal TLC. 150k miles isn't gentle on the seats or the plastics, but I wasn't going to pay out £££ to have the whole lot redone. So whilst it's not perfect, for £50 and a couple Saturday afternoons I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Once again, Gliptone stuff comes up a treat.

deckster said:
This week I have mainly treated the old girl to a bit of internal TLC. 150k miles isn't gentle on the seats or the plastics, but I wasn't going to pay out £££ to have the whole lot redone. So whilst it's not perfect, for £50 and a couple Saturday afternoons I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Once again, Gliptone stuff comes up a treat.
Looks really good, I'd like to give it a try myself. Which products did you use?
thanks
Mike

maldren said:
Looks really good, I'd like to give it a try myself. Which products did you use?
thanks
Mike

Cheers :thumb:

All the products were Gliptone Liquid Leather - mainly their standard ScuffMaster dye, just tell them your interior colour (Graphite Grey here) and they'll mix it up. Colour match is pretty much spot on. I used the same sponge discs I use to wax the car which worked very well - lots of thin coats is the key, as ever. You don't need much - a 250ml bottle did the whole of my interior - front & back seats, doors, seat backs, glovebox, dash, and centre console.

I used their Aquafil leather & vinyl filler for the creases in the seats and the big scratch you can see on the glovebox - again several thin coats and give it a good sanding down with 600+ grit at the end. Then apply the dye over the top as above.

For the plastics I used a modelling paintbrush to carefully fill the chips with ScuffMaster dye, and put a few thin coats over the entire surface using sponge discs again to blend it all in. You can still see that the chips are slightly indented, as frankly I couldn't be bothered to painstakingly fill them all in, but if you don't look for it then you don't notice them. If you look at the after pictures of the seat back and ignition you can see what I mean.

Apart from the dye and filler, I used GT12 intensive cleaner at the start to get all the grime and grease off, and then GT11 leather conditioner at the end.

The longest part of the process is waiting for it all to dry in between coats, but beyond that it's all pretty straightforward. My biggest mistakes were putting the filler on too thickly and then not sanding it down well enough (I have a couple of lumps on the seats where this happened), and then not leaving the final coat long enough to dry before using the leather conditioner. It says 24 hours - I did that and the conditioner took off the last couple of coats of dye, so after re-touching I left it a week before applying any more conditioner which seemed to work better.

Excellent summary, very helpful
thanks
MIke

MMT said:
I'm not sure whether black are worse.
I pondered this and ended up sticking with grey from opc Nottingham.

Yes perhaps. I had two reasons for going with black this time. The first I've mentioned, it may hide the grime a bit better between cleans, although maybe not.
The second reason is that I'm introducing a bit of black to my light grey interior. Don't get me wrong I like grey but everything in there is grey.

I'll add the black matts then have my seat backs and centre console painted either black metallic (body colour in my case) or Agate grey.

Deckster

Great work there, it is much nicer in there now. Good info too. Nice one.

:thumb:

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cchrysos
Back