Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyre suggestions please

Carrerascott

Silverstone
Need some new tyres for my 997.1s as the current Michelin PS2 have aged out due to low yearly use. Was going to go for some Michelin PS4S and can find the front 235/35/19 but really struggling to find the 295/30/19 rears from all the normal sources (not sure if there is a supply issue?).
Options seem to be at the moment to get matching set (don't necessarily need N rated) are:
Michelin PS2 again - Seem very expensive for what is an old design tyre now
Pirelli PZero - had these previously when originally got the car 8 years ago and wasn't too keen but has the design improved over the years?
Bridgestone Potenza Sport - anyone running these?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

You might try the Continental SportContact7 if available. I wouldn't go back to Pirelli, never had a good experience with them.

I have heard from a couple of different sources that Michelin are hard to get right now... :dont know:

I think Michelin PS4S is still the default choice. Even if hard to source you can find them. I had found a set on ASDA tyres of all places in our sizes.

The Conti 7 seem to have amazing results in Evo testing. I would just caveat that with the fact the test happened ok Conti's own testing facilities. But in case they are not available in our sizes yet. I checked yesterday and they are not made. More sizes to be released in H2 2022.

I've only ever had Bridgestone tyres on mine, its what it came with and I've never had to change all four at once.

Handling seems fine for 'normal' road use, but I've nothing else to compare with.

Ben_jamin said:
I've only ever had Bridgestone tyres on mine, its what it came with and I've never had to change all four at once.

Handling seems fine for 'normal' road use, but I've nothing else to compare with.

Are your Bridgestones the Potenza Sport or the RE050A (which are Porsche N rated I think)?

rosino said:
I think Michelin PS4S is still the default choice. Even if hard to source you can find them. I had found a set on ASDA tyres of all places in our sizes.

The Conti 7 seem to have amazing results in Evo testing. I would just caveat that with the fact the test happened ok Conti's own testing facilities. But in case they are not available in our sizes yet. I checked yesterday and they are not made. More sizes to be released in H2 2022.

Never thought of ASDA! Will have a look thanks

Apart from Pirelli , PS4S , the only other one I have used is Dunlop Sportmax.
It seemed quite reasonable compared to the Bridgestone and Pirelli.

Carrerascott said:
Ben_jamin said:

Are your Bridgestones the Potenza Sport or the RE050A (which are Porsche N rated I think)?

You're right they are the RE050A all N Rated and all the same N Rating! :judge:

I would definitely hold out till you can get the PS4S. These are easily the best tyres I've had on a car ever!

Dry Grip - 9
Wet Grip - 8
Road Feedback - 8
Sidewall - 8
Wear - 8
Comfort - 9

Overall - 9.

Tyre review complete.

All I can suggest is do your home work on prices then talk to your local good tyre place. If you give them a time perhaps a week or two they will probably come up trumps.

I swapped out all 4 tyres recently and my local place gave me an initial price that was circa £350 more than what I could source myself and then take to them to fit. Once I explained there was no immediate rush ( most people want a tyre same / next day, so they go to who can supply them immediate stock and hence pay/charge a premium ) and told them what price and where I had been looking but explained I would be happy to give them the business if they could get much closer price wise, they said leave it with us. They came back a day later and said they could source front tyres within 2-3 days and the rears were ordered direct from Michelin and took 1 week. The kicker was that Michelin have an offer on at present that if you purchase from one of their recognised fitters you get cash back. ( deal to end of May 2022 ) The end result was that I was within spitting distance of the best price I could find online, I had supported my local business, received excellent service from them and all tyres were 2022 PS4S NA tyres, not old stock.

Worst case look at delivery to your place then get a local place to fit them. You might be surprised about the amount that is added for fitting vs plain shipping and what a local place will actually charge you seperately.

Winning all round.

The one negative that few seem to mention is that new PS4 tyres don't come new with 8mm of tread, more like 6.5-6.9mm. Goodyear by comparison come with a further 1-2 mm of tread atleast.

Jungle

Attachments

• 41f79934_8073_40d2_9df9_89a06f7d2721_288.jpeg
    41f79934_8073_40d2_9df9_89a06f7d2721_288.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 2,335
  • 41f79934_8073_40d2_9df9_89a06f7d2721_288.jpeg
    41f79934_8073_40d2_9df9_89a06f7d2721_288.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 2,335
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and if not in stock Michelin Pilot Super Sports (the tyre MP4S replaced).

Is there any indication of when PS5S tyres might drop? I know the PS5 tyres are around already.

If you're only using the car for road use, are you going to notice the difference between the 4S v the standard Pilot Sport?

Mine came with the latter but they're getting close to needing to be replaced (2mm left at best and that last mm always seems to disappear before you know it) so I'm thinking of ordering a full set soon as I'm planning on getting the wheels refurbed at the same time too.

Cleanitnow said:
If you're only using the car for road use, are you going to notice the difference between the 4S v the standard Pilot Sport?

Mine came with the latter but they're getting close to needing to be replaced (2mm left at best and that last mm always seems to disappear before you know it) so I'm thinking of ordering a full set soon as I'm planning on getting the wheels refurbed at the same time too.

Yes you will.

The PS4 is design to be comfortable and quiet while still retaining the Pilot Sport essence that the early tyres had.

They do that very well, in fact the road noice, comfort, and the wet weather grip is all incredible, however, they steering feel, initial turn in etc. is no where near as good.

Having said that, some of the PS4S's are not all that focused, compared to other tyres.

I had the Bridgestone S02A fitted and they felt fine, but being a Michelin fan boy I bought a set of PS4, not the S as I Michelin didn't have the 18" listed on their website, and to be honest, although quieter, more comfy and 99% as good in the wet as dry, they don't feel anywhere as near focussed as the Bridgestones.

So much so I have put in Pilot Cup 2's which I will run till October and then put the PS4 back on for winter.

I know Michelin used a slightly firmer rubber on the outside edge of the N rated PS2 tyres compared to the off the shelf PS2 tyre, which is hwy it has much better steering feel and turn in too, whether they do the same for the PS4S tyre I don't know, maybe someone could ask them?

They have done for the BMW M Cars on the star marked PS4S, so they may have done on the N rated too?

You don't have an N rated PS4S that fits a 997, so it's a moot point.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back