Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo: what would people do?

Ed-911T

Hi everyone, I've just joined the forum as I'm looking to purchase a 997.1 Turbo (Manual).

My budget is up to £65k, but I can't decide whether I'm getting more value for money maxing my budget out and getting something with low miles or aiming to spend about £50k and getting something with 50-60k on the clock, which would also allow me to upgrade wheels, suspension etc.

The motor will only be used occasionally (circa 1500 pa).

Would be good to hear what people's thoughts are?

At that budget I'd be looking at Gen 2s.

Firstly, :welcome: to 911uk

Secondly, please be aware that most people that respond to this thread will be aware that (a) Manual Gen 2 997 Turbos are very rare and (b) that people that have made it clear they are looking for a turbo will not be interested in a GT3.

I'll post again regarding your question. :thumb:

Ed-911T said:

As you have already discovered values of 997 Turbos are very mileage dependant. This is unlikely to change so a lot depends upon the mileage you are intending to add.

You've already said that this is likely to be 1,500 a year so the annual average miles per year of the car you buy is likely to reduce thus maintaining the value of any car that you buy.

Your budget of £65k will get you a sub 30k mile car but it may still be the same age as a 60k+ mile car that you can buy for £20k less. You would expect the cosmetic condition of the car with less miles to be better but that might not be the case with regard to the mechanicals.

This would be less of an issue with the running gear as it seems that you're planning to change a lot of it anyway but some would argue that an engine with a few more miles may actually be better than an underused one especially if the miles had been put in it in a regular way (eg) 5k miles a year.

In your position I'd be considering how much the modifications of the car would reduce the value and as such would be looking for a good condition, higher mileage car at the right price.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I didn't know what a GT3 was till I joined this forum.

I was in your position and opted for a low miles example as my annual mileage is minimal and the value of the car would be retained.

Each to their own but as you are planning significant modifications then a cheaper, higher mileage car may make more sense?

Factor in a quality exhaust transplant if the stock item remains as Turbo cars are a little too quiet out of the box!

Consider a Pre-purchase inspection when you have narrowed your search down to 'The One'.

They are very capable road cars with legendary mechanicals......the connoisseurs choice :wink:

IMI A said:
I'd buy this car with my eyes closed if original panel no accident car with good history. I can tell she's perfect just looking at her. Very rare spec with LSD and PCCB. I'd put a cheeky bid in for £65k. Worth every penny :wink:

https://www.cameronsportscars.com/v...ale-in-chippenham-south-gloucestershire-u984/

Cameron have really impressed me with their professionalism whilst becoming my new local indy of choice.

I would have no hesitation in buying from them and that GT silver car looks like a wonderful example.

T8 said:
Ed-911T said:

As you have already discovered values of 997 Turbos are very mileage dependant. This is unlikely to change so a lot depends upon the mileage you are intending to add.

You've already said that this is likely to be 1,500 a year so the annual average miles per year of the car you buy is likely to reduce thus maintaining the value of any car that you buy.

Your budget of £65k will get you a sub 30k mile car but it may still be the same age as a 60k+ mile car that you can buy for £20k less. You would expect the cosmetic condition of the car with less miles to be better but that might not be the case with regard to the mechanicals.

This would be less of an issue with the running gear as it seems that you're planning to change a lot of it anyway but some would argue that an engine with a few more miles may actually be better than an underused one especially if the miles had been put in it in a regular way (eg) 5k miles a year.

In your position I'd be considering how much the modifications of the car would reduce the value and as such would be looking for a good condition, higher mileage car at the right price.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

I agree with T8 .......or buy the low mileage example at Cameron........or maybe think about a GT3 :grin:

Cheers for the comments guys.

I've ruled out a GT3 as I want to be able to get the kids in the back.

I'm thinking whether something with more miles may be the better option, as I don't want to feel like I can't add any miles to the car.

The one at Cameron is nice but really want a black one.

GTS .....

Ed-911T said:
Cheers for the comments guys.

I've ruled out a GT3 as I want to be able to get the kids in the back.

I'm thinking whether something with more miles may be the better option, as I don't want to feel like I can't add any miles to the car.

The one at Cameron is nice but really want a black one.

At 1500 additional miles each year, you need not worry about hurting the cars value.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back