Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo: what would people do?

Good choice...I have narrowed down a few options to one of these and will being actively viewing once lockdown/Covid eases....safe place to put the money....other than running costs depreciation free.

The market is very stagnant....very few are advertising as there is little point in the time and effort at present. I have contact details of 2 cars I will be viewing that are not advertised presently as the owners pulled from the market.

Social distance viewing is a brave game with cars like this.....when dropping £50k+ you want to spend a good amount of time going through the car with the dealer/owner and the paperwork along with a PPI.

I wouldn't max your budget as they are likely to need spend however good it appears. All used Porsche of age will. As some have said already £65k is big dollar for a Gen 1 Turbo....This will get you into a much newer car.

Maybe take a gander at the Gen 2 at Paragon albeit a PDK.

Scholester said:
BChivs said:

The OP specified a manual 'box. When spending this kind of money, compromises should not be entertained :wink:

Sometimes though that criteria is set by the horror stories of Tiptronic....speaking for myself I would consider a PDK but wouldn't consider a Tip....op May be dead fixed on manual though but always s good to keep options open.

BChivs said:
Scholester said:
BChivs said:

The OP specified a manual 'box. When spending this kind of money, compromises should not be entertained :wink:

Sometimes though that criteria is set by the horror stories of Tiptronic....speaking for myself I would consider a PDK but wouldn't consider a Tip....op May be dead fixed on manual though but always s good to keep options open.

True, but......

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=143724

There's really only one thing to do here, buy a Gen 2 PDK. At the money your budgeting you could have had my immaculate 997.2 turbo in basalt black and black leather.

This is just my opinion and it will be poo poo'd, I've had 3 911 turbo's, but a manual in a Turbo is an expensive waste of time.
The PDK box is the best box barr non and in a Turbo it's nigh on the perfect combo.

Buy a 997.2, fit a sharkwerks exhaust, some 7 mm and 15 mm spacers and a DSC module and you've got an amazing brilliantly handling car. Upgrades will cost you about £2k.

As a 997.1 turbo owner (although heavily modified) with your budget I'd be looking at a 991. You could get a very nice manual 991, possibly a GTS (saw one recently at £69k.) They are as fast as a 997 turbo and years ahead in terms of pretty much everything else.

A 997.1 is 12/13 years old now. Just my opinion.

easternjets said:
There's really only one thing to do here, buy a Gen 2 PDK. At the money your budgeting you could have had my immaculate 997.2 turbo in basalt black and black leather.

This is just my opinion and it will be poo poo'd, I've had 3 911 turbo's, but a manual in a Turbo is an expensive waste of time.
The PDK box is the best box barr non and in a Turbo it's nigh on the perfect combo.

Buy a 997.2, fit a sharkwerks exhaust, some 7 mm and 15 mm spacers and a DSC module and you've got an amazing brilliantly handling car. Upgrades will cost you about £2k.

Better cars aren't always the best cars. I considered a PDK equipped car before buying my Turbo but knew i just HAD to have a manual gearstick to work.

If ever i move on, search criteria will only include manual 'box cars so some modern exotica would not get a look in. In fact i would probably look to for something slower and technically less able.

The OP may not have considered PDK and may now wish to given the great reviews if gets. He may buy one and think it's very accomplished but that might not be be enough?

Cheers for all the comments guys. I think what I'm best doing is driving a few cars and see what works best for me. So watch this space and let's see where the journey takes me... it's either 997.1 Turbo, manual, 997.2 Turbo PDK and if the budget can stretch 991 GTS.

Ed-911T said:
Cheers for all the comments guys. I think what I'm best doing is driving a few cars and see what works best for me. So watch this space and let's see where the journey takes me... it's either 997.1 Turbo, manual, 997.2 Turbo PDK and if the budget can stretch 991 GTS.

You may need to update your 'signature' :wink:

Ed-911T said:

Hello Ed
Id look around 50k mark and keep 10k back for bills
These are complicated cars and although they age well, will require refurb of suspension and various other components that are 15 years old.

Im biased -Turbo is turbo -don't listen to the GTS club :mrgreen:

easternjets said:
....a manual in a Turbo is an expensive waste of time.
The PDK box is the best box bar none and in a Turbo it's nigh on the perfect combo.

Buy a 997.2, fit a Sharkwerks exhaust, some 7 mm and 15 mm spacers and a DSC module and you've got an amazing brilliantly handling car. Upgrades will cost you about £2k.

I like the idea of a 911 Turbo and have driven a couple, pre-covid. I came to the same view about a manual. Quite simply, the car is too fast for the gearchange; well it was with my feeble driving skill anyway. I briefly tried a Tiptronic car and it's not for me either. PDK it is, then. But I think you need a £65k budget for a nice gen 2 Turbo PDK coupe?
I'm unsure if that helps the OP, sorry, but that's my thoughts.

Ed-911T said:

That's your best bet, although at the moment not easy.

The Turbo is a fantastic car to own, I was talking to someone the other day and we both said that they're the Swiss Army knife of the car world. They're isn't a lot of drama with the Turbo's in std form, they don't have the soundtrack of the GT-S but in Sport mode there's few cars that will keep up with them.
I'm currently looking for a new car and it's between a Turbo and a GT-S, I'm swaying toward a GT-S but only because I've never owned one and I've had a few Turbo's. Both cars are pretty solid on resale values and the Turbo's are very reliable, in 3 years of ownership my last one only needed 2 x A/C condensers and a service.
Which ever you buy you won't be disappointed at all.
One last thing, the gen 1 turbo's are getting quite old now and the gen 2 was a big upgrade both in engine and gearbox and interior upgrades.

Evening,

Sorry not done many posts...

I bought Nicks 997.2 Turbo..lucky for me it is was a well kept cracker and glad I bought it.

Before I bought it I was looking for low milage / low owner 997 turbo manual, but soon realised such a car was rare and very over priced.

I had a 997 C4S manual good few years ago and then a 991 C2S PDK 2 years ago, I then done some soul searching and looked at the pro and cons and the PDK ticked more boxes than the manual.

There seems to be a holy grail status about the manual Turbo cars (more so for collectors), but in my mind a PDK is a far better car.

My turbo is on for a ceramic coating next weeks so hopefully get a few pictures up next week.

Cheers G

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back