Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic Gearbox or Manual.

Frenchmeister

Barcelona
Gents,
Any issues with tiptronic boxes,my last 997 2S was a manual, I will be looking for another one soon, manual or tip.
What would people's choices be and as before any issue's with tiptronic?

Greater chance of bore-scoring due to setting off in 2nd gear on the tip. especially the 3.8s

Play the car like an organ gets my vote.

Alex is right on the Tip, you can manually select first though if memory serves, I would do that if I hadn't taken my former point seriously.

The problem is, the previous owner may have treated it like Katie Price's organ.

...tip box is a Mercedes zf unit which Porsche has adapted and very reliable...and I always pull away in first rather than the warm box default of second...

...choice depends upon what you want? Can be a cheaper option: no clutch,flywheel,2nd gear pop out and gearbox related issues/expense...

...I'm an auto man so all of my cars are thus...

...its no PDK though and is quite slow to change gear...

...I've added AMG paddles to a manual steering wheel and the little plug in device that enables some additional response improvement ...but because I'm an old git can't remember what the bastard things called :floor:

Organism? :dont know:

GMG said:
...tip box is a Mercedes zf unit which Porsche has adapted and very reliable...and I always pull away in first rather than the warm box default of second...

...choice depends upon what you want? Can be a cheaper option: no clutch,flywheel,2nd gear pop out and gearbox related issues/expense...

...I'm an auto man so all of my cars are thus...

...its no PDK though and is quite slow to change gear...

...I've added AMG paddles to a manual steering wheel and the little plug in device that enables some additional response improvement ...but because I'm an old git can't remember what the bastard things called :floor:

The later Tiptronics are all Mercedes I believe, ZF only for 996.1. Should be very reliable with periodic oil / gasket changes.

I agree the gear changes can be slow when pootling about but when going for it, it will still change up / down faster than anyone with a manual. The issue really is that the gearing is quite a bit longer than the manual and it doesn't like to change into 1st when moving.

Compared to the PDK though, at least parts are readily available and it doesn't kickdown in M mode.

Alex on good form today :lol:

SprintBooster doesnt change the shifting times though does it.

So a tuner can do this though I am guessing?

When I bought my 1st Turbo, a 997.1, I read a bit about the Tip boxes and thought 'well they can't be that bad' so I bought one and immediately regretted it.
I know they can be tuned up a bit with a Sprint Booster and an oil and filter change but I found the box to be pretty 'dim,' in that coming up to a junction it always seemed to be in too higher gear so needed a quick stab on the pedal to get it down a gear.
In the end my frustration got the better of me and I sold it.
PDK is not even on the same graph but then a PDK/DSG is a manual box with an ECU to change gears. The only weak point I've heard about is the ECU but faults seem to be few and far between.
I've had several PDK/DSG boxes and they've all been fantastic.

I think it's definitely horses for courses...the tip box is sluggish of that there isn't any doubt but it suits me and will suit anyone who typically pootles about in there 996/7 or uses it as a daily...

...I just don't want to be changing gears...in any car...but I concede I wish it were just a little faster...but it isnt

...vis a vis the PDK box in my son's 991s soon to be upgraded to a 991 Turbo S ( Hull OPC)can be very jerky?!

...buyer choice as always :thumbs: :sad:

The return of Marty Wild said:
So a tuner can do this though I am guessing?

They can - Markski offers a TCU upgrade.

The sprintbooster does a great job of killing the "lag" that the tiptronic has at the estart of the pedal movement which is typically the thing that makes the cars feel sluggish. Having installed a Sprintbooster, it has transformed the way the box works and I would happily recommend it for anyone.

Whenever I've seen threads looking to buy a car, if it says anything about the gearbox it's usually "must be a manual" never "must be an automatic". If you care about resale desirability I would get a manual. Too many purists :)

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzed23
Back