Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slow start battery cable part check

spinnaker

Hockenheim
Afternoon folks, I have a service coming up at my local indie in a few weeks and have been seeing the usual slow starting issue over this cold weather. I want to get the battery cable replaced while with the Indie. They are great but a bit slow off the mark when getting parts ordered in advance so I was going to order the cable myself from the local OPC.

Am I right in thinking this is the cable I need for my manual gen 1 C2S?:

There is lots of chat about doing this but precious few mentions of the specific part number.

Are there other bits you would replace at the same time? I have heard that the revised cables should use a threaded pin on the bulkhead now. Do people replace this as well?

Thanks in advance.

That is the correct cable although only for a manual car, auto has a different cable.

The above cable goes from the gearbox to the starter/alternator in the engine bay.
There is another cable from battery to gearbox area that usually isn't the issue, I believe that there is a threaded pin on that cable close to the battery and not the cable you linked to (I could be wrong).

I DIY'd my cable swap for the rear section you linked to - Quite a bit has to be removed to get access to the engine bay and it may be beneficial to swap your AOS at the same time.

That is the correct cable although only for a manual car, auto has a different cable.

The above cable goes from the gearbox to the starter/alternator in the engine bay.
There is another cable from battery to gearbox area that usually isn't the issue, I believe that there is a threaded pin on that cable close to the battery and not the cable you linked to (I could be wrong).

I DIY'd my cable swap for the rear section you linked to - Quite a bit has to be removed to get access to the engine bay and it may be beneficial to swap your AOS at the same time.
Brilliant, thanks for that. :) I'll give the AOC change some thought as part of this too.

Sure you battery is up to scratch?
I think the battery should be fine. It was new about 18 months ago and I have had the same sort of slow crank in the colder weather since not long after then. It isn't as much of an issue in the summer months, hence why I have decided to get it sorted after the recent cold weather.

should be fine as you've mentioned, just check for any signs of corrosion

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
concept303
Back