Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ticking Noise from the wheel area.

piero66

Dear Guys,
Last time I had a trip with my 997 C4S 2006 I heard an annoying ticking noise coming from the wheel area (unable to catch if from fwd or aft)! It is exactly as if there is a stone stuck on the tyre (but there is not):
1. Increase frequency as speed increase, decrease as speed decrease;
2. Above 30 mph, since the frequency is too high, I cannot hear it anymore;
3. I can hear the noise accelerating or decelerating the speed of the car;
4. I can hear the noise turning or proceeding straight;
5. I cannot hear the noise if the car is stopped with engine at idle or increasing/decreasing the revs;
6. Changed the engine mounts few months ago.
7. I can hear the noise if the road is smooth or bumpy.
Any idea? Thanks for the help!
Piero

Nail in tyre or stone stuck in brake disc.

Also apply the handbrake slightly and see if that alters the noise

Pierro - any recent brake or tyre work?
You say you've checked the tyres, have you also checked the brake discs for stones / wear and pads?

Thanks Guys,
Answer for kas750: applied the handbrake without any noise change;
Answer to Jonno: no works on tires or brakes...changed the engine mounts recently; checked brake disks (PCCB) and pads and it seems all in order; still have to check carefully the tyres: next week I will take the car to the tire dealer to have a better look! I will let you know! Thanks for the help (to Alex as well)!piero

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to send you a reply about the situation concerning the 'ticking ' noise; I went to the tyre dealer to change from summer to winter tyres and there were nothing wrong with them but now the noise has disappeared...the probable cause are the 17mm spacer in the rear wheels: summer tyres are larger than the winter and they probably 'touched" something in the wheel well area...this means next time I won't install the summer tyres with the 17mm spacers.
Thanks again for your advice...Jonno was right :thumb:
Piero

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back