Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Suspension / Steering issues & noises

Carrerascott

Silverstone
997.1 C2S 2005 with PASM and 66k miles - used as a weekend car

Over the years I have always seemed to have had an issue with the ride etc. as the car always feels like it is crashing over every bump and not very compliant. With all of this comes the inevitable creaking and rattling of interior trim etc. been made worse, that is one of my pet hates. Getting to the point that I am just not enjoying the car!

The following has been done over the last 4.5 years and 7k miles whilst in my ownership starting with the oldest first to the most recent:

Front shock top strut mounts & bearings
Front inner rack ends
Rear lower control arms
Rear toe arms
New set of genuine Porsche alloys (as 2 where slightly buckled causing a vibration through the steering) and PS2 tyres
Front lower control arms
Front coil springs (1 had snapped)
Front shock stem washers & bump stops
Front anti-roll bar bushes
Also always generally had a 4-wheel alignment redone after any work and regularly check tire pressures

I think the only thing that hasn't been done is the front & rear shocks but never had an MoT advisory such as they were leaking or misting etc. Is this where I go next?

The latest issue now seems to be a knocking, clunking from the steering column or rack at low speed when turning left or applying a lot of lock. - Is this a common issue?

Car is going to my Indy in the next couple of weeks for its MoT so will get them to obviously check it over.

Any thoughts on the issues and what I should consider next?

thanks

I've just had new front shocks and top mounts fitted on my 996. Can't believe the difference - it's like a different car! There were plenty of bumps and rattles and the front end was feeling a bit loose. They've totally stiffened everything at the front up and also made things much quieter and more comfortable. My old shocks could easily be moved up and down by hand once they'd been taken off. The new ones - no cot so easy.

I'm well impressed and shocked with how much its improved the car.

Get it booked in at Center Gravity, they will not only diagnose the issues for you and do a full alignment check, but tell you which parts need replacement and set the car up to suit your driving style and roads.

I had a broken spring and replaced all the suspension and springs myself so needed an alignment done anyway.
They test drive the car first over all manner of road surfaces including cobbles and will listen out for every little creak & squeak. Mine handled like a dog after I replaced the parts and it turns out aftermarket coffin arms are shorter than Porsche OE - who'd have known!!

Now the ride is smooth, sticks to a corner apex like glue and has no rattles or vibes through the steering wheel (and mine's a cabrio)

I have no affiliation with Center Gravity but if you want to enjoy driving your car again, I highly recommend getting it set up properly by suspension experts (no disrespect to your Indy).

All different manufacturers of coffin arms are different lengths.

Even if suspension is stripped down and rebuilt with all the same parts, an alignment should always be carried out as you can not guarantee everything is back in exactly the same place.

I've had my geo done 7 times in the last 15 months as it's needed doing for various reasons. Done on a hunter hawkeye for £120 all in. Kwikfit do a 2 year package for £120 and you can get it done multiple times within that period.

Very cost effective way of doing it if you're handy with the spanners and can fit your own parts.

Completely agree on the 4 wheel alignment - It was done on a Hunter Hawkeye only 2 months ago after the new front springs and lower control arms were fitted and looking at the results all within factory settings.
Seriously considering a visit to CG - heard lots of good things

I'd deffo be looking at fitting new shocks. Can't believe the transformation on mine. Far greater than any other suspension part I've changed.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike 964 speedster
Back