Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering Rack on 997.1 C2s

Enrico33

Hi All.
MOT advisory received yesterday: Play on steering rack inner joint ( o/side )
Any ideas what's involved to put right ? Thanks in advance.

Had the same advisory at only 36K miles.
O/side as well which surprised me.
It's part number 6 that's got wear in the ball joint.
My repair was new parts 2, 6 and 8 with new gaiter clips.
1 hours labour and geometry adjust.

Attachments

• 997_steering_808.jpg
    997_steering_808.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,332
Mine had an advisory on these last year; if you have access to a crows foot spanner and ball joint splitter; its a fairly simple fix, doable on the drive.

Hi brownspeed. Thanks for the reply, will let my local spanner man attack it.

TRW are the OEM for the Gen1 track rod inner and outers. Don't pay Porsche tax for "genuine" items! :thumb:

Hi. A quick update. Steering arm replaced + tracking came to £104 all in. Thanks for your input guys.

Did they do both sides? They've both seen the same amount of work, so makes senzse to do both, if one has failed , the other won't be far behind.
Apologies for the hindsighted advice.....

Some cars get play in these and many don't regardless of the milage .. If one side has play you just replace that side .. you can do both if you wish but no play means its fine .

My theory on these .. i reckon its to do with speed bumps .. seen a lot of cars in areas with these with play in the arm joints ... thinking london here :)

Yep, just the offside arm required. Funnily enough I do encounter a speed bump every time I access the main drag !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back