Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replacing Exhaust System

Indischrot

Spa-Francorchamps
Hey guys,

I’m looking at replacing the full exhaust system on my 997.1 Carrera. Thinking of doing everything - the headers, cats and silencers.

It currently has the standard system which is now very corroded so it will be good to future-proof everything as the car is a keeper.

Looking to get some advice from people who have done the same. Anything else to replace whilst I’m there?

Also after some recommendations for fixing kits, some decent clamps and bolts which might help slow down corrosion later down the line compared to the standard ones.

Any help on the subject much appreciated. :thumb:

I've just done something similar, except the manifolds as the advice is that the risk is too high of studs snapping and trying to drill into the head isn't much fun.

Absolutely everything was corroded, and rotten which made the job a lot harder... So you'll need something like this: https://www.design911.co.uk/p/mounting-kit-for-rear-exhaust-porsche-997/

And then 2 of this:
https://www.design911.co.uk/p/porsche-996-spacer-sleeve-long-99611123000/?source=doofinder

and 2 of this:
https://www.design911.co.uk/p/spacer-sleeve-short-porsche-996---2001---996-gt3/?source=doofinder

As my bolts has siezed into the sleeves. I'm not sure if you can get stainless versions, but I'd just assume they'll be sacrificial parts.

I also ended up needing the end pipes as my OE ones were not budging.

I still need to do the cats as ran out of time to grind off the cat bolts. But I have all 4 lamda sensors ready for that as I'll assume they'll also not want to come out of the cats.

I went for the top gear vavled exhaust and once warm it does sound decent, in both loud and quiet modes. I'm using the fob to switch modes and so far all working well. They look well made to me and weren't too expensive relative to others.

I did all that last year when i replaced the engine on my 996.

I had the benefit of the replacement engine being on the floor.

I had to drill out a fair few bolts from the manifold so needed to buy a stormski jig and a couple of extra long drills for the bolt near the engine number.

Every other bolt was siezed including the silencer mountings and the silencer to cat flanges.

So plenty of grinding opportunities. You will find an electric finger file essential with plenty of corse sanding bands.

If you do not have a ramp then every step will be grief so make sure you really want to do it. I have a quick jack so if i wanted to do my 997 then at least I can get under to drill out the manifold bolts.

Or maybe i would be tempted to frop the engine and box, that way i could replace all the consumable parts such as the AOS, check the clutch/flywheel and change the rms and ims. I did all this to my 996 and that really did futureproof the car.

Yes I did enjoy the challenge and it took me about a week in total, with the old engine out and the new one in, and all on my drive way.

Thanks for the insights guys. I think I’m going to ask the guys at Hayward & Scott to do the fitting as I won’t have the time/equipment to attempt it myself by the sounds of it.

Does anyone know which lambda sensors I need to replace all 4 on the cats?

I've heard that a lot of them are pretty much stuck inside the old ones so might as well replace all whilst there.

If anyone has a link or part numbers that would be great.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back