Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

TopGear Exhaust Choice - X-Pipe vs Crossover

KillsBugs

Hi all - I'm replacing the full exhaust system on my 997.1, trying to decide what Cats to pair it with before I order.

I'm replacing the manifolds and the switchable back boxes but not sure whether to go for the 200cel crossover cats or the 'big bore' x-pipe. I've read through some posts on here where people have mentioned a slight loss of low end torque when using the x-pipe, which I'd like to avoid.

I'm looking for a nice enhancement on the OEM sound rather than something too offensive (would quite like some pops and burbles like a 991S) - not really thinking this will have noticeable power increases either.

If anyone has experience with either part I'd appreciate any advice - I'm currently swaying more towards the crossover pipe.

I'm having the same dilemma as you with the crossover/x-pipe.

Also wondering if it's worth changing the original manifolds at the same time...

Hopefully some others will chip in with their experiences soon :thumb:

droptop said:
I'm having the same dilemma as you with the crossover/x-pipe.

Also wondering if it's worth changing the original manifolds at the same time...

Hopefully some others will chip in with their experiences soon :thumb:

Hope so!

I've decided to go for the manifolds as well, mine aren't in a great state - for ~500 I feel if there's a good time to do it it's at the same time as the rest of the system!

If you do both manifold and crossover cats you it will be much louder. I have PSE but never use it in loud now - it's too much for the road. In quiet it is like the PSE on loud til about 4500 and then it really starts to scream.

My car is 4.1 997.1 and manifold and cats are Topgear.

I've had top gear switchable silencers on mine for years now, on their own they were ok, a bit better than standard, but for me not a particularly nice sound, I put Chinese headers on when I had the engine rebuilt and they added a little more of a growl but no huge difference. The biggest improvement was when I put top gear big bore x pipes on, much nicer sound at idle and low revs and a great rasp, racier sound over 4500/5000 revs, really happy with it now :thumb: It is quite loud, but only when you are pushing on. I have also converted to a centre exit set up with a GT3/Aero style bumper, I think this does add a little to the noise too, more like a 6 cylinder engine than two 3 cylinder engines, of that makes sense!

Going back to the original post.

I like OP have considered cross over vs standard as it is my plan to replace the cat section with Top Gear 200 cell.

Everything I have read states that, regarding performace you lose mid range and are unlikely to gain, perhaps worse.

As far as sound is concerned I had one of my Indy Porsche centres rev up a cross over fitted 911 stating "almost sounds like a Metzger".

My opinion .. no, it sounds like a straight six, if I wanted a BMW I would have bought one. I love the sound of the 911 (sans turbo) it is like 2 x 3 cylinder motorbikes, thumpy but revvy.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back