Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche smell

DavidWhite

I'm sure my 991 doesn't smell as 'Porschie" as my older 997 gen cars did, same goes for Cayenne. Has the leather changed? I use Autoglym leather balm, is this the best or do others leave a nicer smell?
Perhaps I should change the pollen filter too, havent researched that yet.
Any advice or thoughts please.

Hi David,

I kind'a know what you mean! There are a couple of pollen filters worth changing in the 991. I also found I needed to use some vent cleaner and an air con odour bomb, in order to get rid of a certain whiffiness from my car!

You can get leather smelling air freshener dangly things which might help.

IMHO leather conditioner / feed type products are not designed for modern leathers. Whilst they might add some leather scent, I find they leave the surface too slick, a bit sticky and shiny, the product just sits on top of leather. I also found it attracted dust and dirt and the smell would also transfer to my clothes.

I now use Colourlock products for gentle cleaning and protection layers, they leave the leather looking matt and factory fresh.

Good luck with improving your cars ambience :thumb:

I use Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner once a year to maintain the "new leather smell".

I thought true Porsche smell emanated from the outside of the car.

P9XX said:
I use Gliptone Liquid Leather Conditioner once a year to maintain the "new leather smell".

Fully agree :thumb:

Thanks all, will look for some Gliptone and new filters. YouTube how tos show filters are easy to change.

To be honest I'm not a fan of the Gliptone smell, unless they've changed it recently so worth testing before you use it in your car. There is as Tony says little point in putting conditioner on new leather as it's sealed with lacquer.

Have a watch of the Colourlock videos on Forensic Detailing YouTube channel for in-depth technical help. They recommended different treatment depending on the age of the leather and finish.

Interestingly, some markets don't like the smell of leather- Japan for example, so maybe the leather manufacturers have toned it down for the newer cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andewcb
Back