Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

It worked! You can retrofit an oil dipstick to a 3.6 997.

C11BRA said:
Isoproturon said:
C11BRA said:
My dipstick has arrived. Yay!

Just decided to upgrade my engine mounts so will do at the same time.

Hopefully in time for Spa next spring.

Slightly off topic, but which mounts have you gone for?

993 RS style semi solid. £125 + delivery and VAT. Bargain.

Same as the ones I've just fitted. Will be interested to see how they hold up. Already noticed the upper cups are touching the metal mount itself so I will check the torque again I think.

I think all us 3.8 owners would I've never been a fan of the measurement by dashboard gauge even though they seem pretty reliable
But you can't beat positive reading by dipstick

Isoproturon

I am also planning to fit RS mounts but noted your comment on that the upper cups are touching the metal mount itself.
Won't this transmit noise and vibrations to the chassis?
What have you done to work this out?

Pity about the dipstick not being a retrofiit to our 997.2 cars

Re: It worked! You can retrofit an oil dipstick to a 3.6 997

Nimbus2b said:
Isoproturon

I am also planning to fit RS mounts but noted your comment on that the upper cups are touching the metal mount itself.
Won't this transmit noise and vibrations to the chassis?
What have you done to work this out?

Pity about the dipstick not being a retrofiit to our 997.2 cars

Mine are aftermarket RS ones, URO brand. I have only just fitted them and done about 6 miles so not had much chance to assess. There is a bit more vibration and noise but I can live with it for the tighter drive. Not sure whether the metal washer touching it will be noticeable in the scheme of things, but it wasn't like that when they were fitted so must be some settling.

Have a longer journey tomorrow, to get Porsche in Hull to sort a clutch issue so will report back.

For the OP .. well done young man .. taught me a thing or two here as i didn't think it could be done .. pleased to be proved wrong .

For everyone else .. the OP,s issue is not the same as a normal car .. you don't have a dipstick but the gauge is very accurate .. if there is a fault then it stops working and a message saying so will appear .. very rare though .. think i've seen it once since these cars first came out .

In short .. gauge works fine so please don't worry about it not being as accurate as a manual dipstick .

I'm having an issue with my sensor too. I bought a new sensor but haven't had it fitted, lowered the engine and checked wiring, all seems good.

Might try this mod myself.

Isoproturon How have the engine mounts performed since you fitted the RS ones?
I have a set ready to fit but am worried that they will create a new problem. I didn't want to increase noise and vibration with semi-solid mounts so thought the RS ones may be a halfway house.
Can you give me an update please?

Re: It worked! You can retrofit an oil dipstick to a 3.6 997

Nimbus2b said:
Isoproturon How have the engine mounts performed since you fitted the RS ones?
I have a set ready to fit but am worried that they will create a new problem. I didn't want to increase noise and vibration with semi-solid mounts so thought the RS ones may be a halfway house.
Can you give me an update please?

I haven't done many miles and the first 5 or 6 were ok - obvious how beneficial they were but also some vibration coming into the cabin. However, they seem to have quickly settled after that and the next 40 miles or so have been fine. Sharper and stiffer, and I think the NVH isn't really noticeable now. I keep meaning to check the torque now they seem to have bedded in.

Let's put it this way, I am pleased to have installed them, they improve the car and in my opinion don't detract from it at all.

Love my RS mounts btw. Slight vibration felt on the way to Goodwood track day. Forgot I'd even fitted them on the way home so must have bedded in.

Massive improvement in gear change & feeling. Just need to upgrade the brakes before I return to Goodwood next week.

Oil level still ok. 😂🤣

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back