Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help from the sunshine state

Theboxoftricks

Hello my esteemed 993 custodians...apologies for the long post😁

Could you provide some much needed advice from you the extensively knowledgable 993 community

Short history

...the good 😊
Purchased 2012
993 C2 1995 manual 144k Schwartz on black HB seats
Bodywork great (regularly detailed)
Very original looking
Becker traffic pro
service history is extensive (all MOT/Tax discs/service work receipts/all original keys/handbook/etc)
And it's had a ton of work in 2012-16 (rebuild gearbox/clutch/suspension/tyres/belts/brakes/exhaust/working AC too)
And lots of prior documented work (windscreen/steering rack/cam covers/refurb wheels, seats, A/C, etc etc)

...the bad
In storage (clean dry container) 2016-present
Condition unknown

...the ugly
I now live in the states (Florida)...all y'all

I loved my 993...still do! and willing to spend (£10-20k+) to get her back to tip top condition

Questions

Do I bring her over?
...no need for RHD to LHD conversations...it's staying original!
...I believe being over 25yrs old there is no major issues with importing, any of you have experience to share?
...like the idea of RHD in a LHD world!

Do I sell it as is? fix it up and sell? Buy here (LHD)?
...what's it worth? As is? / fixed up? (I'm out of date with values there) here 993's start about $60k+++
....US Spec cars...ugly bumpers/SUV suspension/emissions/etc

Well if you made it this far...Thank you and hope y'all can help an Englishman in the sunshine state.

Regards Darren

I assume Florida is more relaxed about emissions than, say, California?

I understand Florida has no emissions test or US style MOT just pay your for the yearly 'plate"

However all USA 993 cars (as far I can tell) were fitted with extra emissions hardware :nooo:

Don't forget those ugly bumpers too :sad:

I just recall when living in Washington DC in 2008-2010 that 993 owners were having a hard time with emissions standards. Sounds like it won't be an issue for the uk car and it'll benefit from escaping the US car emissions tweaks.

Theboxoftricks said:

I understand Florida has no emissions test or US style MOT just pay your for the yearly 'plate"

However all USA 993 cars (as far I can tell) were fitted with extra emissions hardware :nooo:

Don't forget those ugly bumpers too :sad:

Nothing wrong with those bumperettes :D

ATB :)

Attachments

• bumperettes_213.jpg
    bumperettes_213.jpg
    699.9 KB · Views: 2,389
Thanks to everyone who looked and especially responded with great advice/ideas...thank you 993 community

So I've decided to get her sorted in UK (would you believe cheaper labour rates!) and not import her to the states.

I will be selling her in Uk and looking for a 'good un" (993) here

I know it's very bad form but (sorry it's because I'm so out of touch with the current UK 993 scene) what do you think its worth in UK?

As is (with fluid change etc)?
Freshened up (refreshed engine, etc etc)?
As perfect with 144k (as above +bodywork, wheels etc etc etc)?

Kind Regards

Darren

The answer to your question on "whats it worth" depends totally on how the storage conditions have impacted the car, if it was a ventilated container, your in with a reasonable shout of it not having sweated itself in to a total mess interior wise and underside, if its a fully sealed container anything could be going on, step one is confirm what state its in now and then go from there.

value will be anywhere between £30-55k, the gap in servicing will always hurt it value wise, even if the storage conditions have had no negative effect on the car.

Totally agree with this course of action vs shipping and localising a UK RHD car for US ... but not easy letting go of your former partner !

You'll get decent money selling RHD in UK, and will have the fun of finding a mind LHD 993 in US. Be prepared to travel to get a good car or tap into the Porsche community - lots of good cars get traded away from classifieds/ word of mouth etc. Demand is high and supply is low.

Good luck with your US 993 adventure !

Theboxoftricks said:
Thanks to everyone who looked and especially responded with great advice/ideas...thank you 993 community

So I've decided to get her sorted in UK (would you believe cheaper labour rates!) and not import her to the states.

I will be selling her in Uk and looking for a 'good un" (993) here

I know it's very bad form but (sorry it's because I'm so out of touch with the current UK 993 scene) what do you think its worth in UK?

As is (with fluid change etc)?
Freshened up (refreshed engine, etc etc)?
As perfect with 144k (as above +bodywork, wheels etc etc etc)?

Kind Regards

Darren

For help with valuation and potential sale i would speak to the main independent dealers. They will give you a good steer.

The obvious ones who in your position I would try are 911Virgin, RPM Technic and Northway - all based west of London just like me.

Watch out when you try to buy in the US - apparently 993s are shooting up in price. This includes all varieties - narrow body, tips and cabs

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
e46m3
Back