Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Carrera S Restoration Thread

stanuk964996

Trainee
Thought I would post a little thread on my 'new to me' 997 C2S. I'm a long time Porsche owner and enthusiast and also own a heavily modified 964 running a 993 6sp transmission and Cup spec engine.

rbwCpzk.jpg

I have been looking for a 997 as I regretted selling my 3.4 996 a couple of years ago which was also nicely modified into a baby GT3 with aero kit, Bilstein PSS10's, full stainless exhaust setup and was featured in 911&PW compared to a GT3.

sp53JAj.jpg

So this is my 997!

hT53lm7.jpg

Yes, she has a little back story. Registered as a CAT S this year following the accident you see above. Have never owned a CAT car before so was a little leap into the unknown, especially as it had no service history to speak of!! All I got was one key and an MOT certificate with the car...

I got photos of the car being repaired and inspecting the inner wing, etc. there is no impact damage to the actual chassis of the car. The only parts affected are all bolt on/off parts, so with these replaced the car is effectively as it was but now just has this name tag of being a CAT S. Many other 997's will be driving around and would have had similar damage earlier in their lives and been repaired, possibly unknown to current owners as there is no record...

JHiJpPx.jpg

The actual spec of the car is exactly what I was looking for: C2S manual, non-sunroof, no parking sensors, sport seats and Sport chrono.

However, there was no structural damage to the car, despite the CAT S moniker. It seems chassis damage includes suspension damage, as all of the damage was to bolt on parts; wing, bumper, radiators, coolant pipes, suspension arms and shock absorber - most of which are nice to replace on 997's of this vintage now anyway! The car was repaired by the owner of a local bodyshop who bought if for his own use, so carried out a full respray in the original metallic basalt black, which is superb. He also refurbished all the wheels so that cosmetically the car was (almost) perfect.

This is my first shot on the driveway before the big clean:

7Q12N7x.jpg

Saturday morning I got all the wheels off and gave them a good clean and inspected the tyres - nearly new Michelin Pilot Sport N rated tyres all round and fully refurbished Sport Design wheels:

BJ52gON.jpg

The wheel arches were pretty clean so didn't really need much work and as it is winter I just gave them a quick wipe down and coated the plastic arch liners. I did polish the calipers and touch up a few stone chips with touch up stick from my 964!

QJEFEow.jpg

The wheel crests had been destroyed by acid from hand car wash centres, so I swapped these out for a spare set I had lying around:

M9hPUXA.jpg

The final step to make the exterior perfect was to sort out the rusty wheel bolts, so these were wire brushed and treated to 2 coats of primer, metallic silver and lacquer, which should last a few years I hope.

Nearly finished wheel, you can see the difference something so small makes:

EjhDbJa.jpg

Bodywork was washed and polished with Autoglym SRP. I will extra gloss it next time but I needed to move on to the interior this time around.

ddLE8nx.jpg

tMhGln2.jpg

The interior received the same treatment with a full clean and feed of all the leather, which made a huge difference. The gear knob came off to clean the grime between the shift pattern and clean the gear boot.

I did do some background checks on the car and had a few clues about the cars history. The N rated tyres all round indicate a diligent previous owner and the car had Porsche Centre East London plates on. They couldn't tell me much about the car but it had been serviced in the dealer network up until 2015, when from the MOT history it had done around 73K miles. A friend of a friend at Porsche told me it had a VERY comprehensive history, although I have been unable to get a copy thus far. Hopefully if I can rebuild the history I am missing maybe two services which I will try and track down from independents locally to me.

I have a few parts arriving this week to start fixing all the little TLC jobs!

is it me or do the links not work?

Sorry - struggled with a hosting site but fixed now!

Looking good :thumb:
what mods are planned for the future

Great story and comments like "so I swapped these out for a spare set I had lying around:" mean this thread will be worth keeping an eye on :grin:

Hi

Nice looking car! Best of luck. Did you do much of a PPI, so borescope for instance.

Wish you well to drive her!

Berni

Ronyted said:
Looking good :thumb:
what mods are planned for the future

A few mods but nothing too crazy. I've made that 'mistake' with the 964, which with bucket seats and roll cage, LWF and hot cams is not always something practical to use.

Only one of the front shocks was replaced in the accident but luckily for a Bilstein B4 compatible with the PASM so I have ordered another for the offside front and a set of Eibach lowering springs. I also have a set of 993 RS engine mounts ready to go on at the weekend - will see how we go after that but I am familiar with the slipper slope!

berni29 said:
Nice looking car! Best of luck. Did you do much of a PPI, so borescope for instance.

Nope! I did my own checks and bit of research online for MOT history and tracking down the history. I took it on gut instinct! :?:

As you say the MOT history points to it having been a well cared for car prior to the prang.

I'm assuming that you bought at the right price so it looks like a great re-entry into the world of water of water-cooled 911 ownership. :thumbs:

T8 said:
As you say the MOT history points to it having been a well cared for car prior to the prang.

I'm assuming that you bought at the right price so it looks like a great re-entry into the world of water of water-cooled 911 ownership. :thumbs:

Yeah, I think so. All the mileage was mainly done in the first 3 years, then an average of under 5000 miles a year after that. Only 4 previous owners as well... and yes, it was well priced - think of current values, half it, then add a tiny bit! :wink:

will.wessonuk said:
Looks a great car and a thread to follow!

Thanks - will try and keep it up!

Came home to a nice cache of new parts! RS engine mounts and a paint touch up kit (just in case), boot release button set, new LED sidelights and AC button repair kit.

n5dEFO4.jpg

So, first couple of little jobs ticked off the list tonight.

The front boot release switch was broken by someone being too heavy handed it would seem. I ordered a new one from eBay for £20 and it looks exactly the same as the Porsche part from what I can tell. Perfect fit, nice action and an easy job.

lrviCOC.jpg

Pop off the plastic covers and insert a 4mm (I think it was?!) allen key into the hole and loosen the bolt holding the trim in place. There are two bolts to loosen off - no need to remove completely.

MTYQpPK.jpg

Some gentle but firm prying (only needed fingers) will remove the panel from the sill. Unplug the electrical connector and use a slim flat blade screwdriver to pop it out it's 4 retaining clips. Install is the reverse of removal! Simples!

i7xEVPB.jpg

I also fitted the LED side lights. Better than the stock dim yellow.

b7TfuYB.jpg

How are the replacement climate switches and where did you get them from?

Looks like a nice project. You'll have a 911 for every occasion!

Stan - Good to see you are doing well. I remember your 964 from the days we had at Spa with Frank et al :thumb:

Ref the climate switches I think someone posted on here a place that can refurb. Or you can get replacements from Design911 However one price says £63 and the other £96 which look like the same ones :dont know:

tom_nieto said:
How are the replacement climate switches and where did you get them from?

Looks like a nice project. You'll have a 911 for every occasion!

I bought them on eBay but actually they came from Design911 and were about £66 delivered. I have managed to fit them now so will be doing a quick write up.

Zingari said:
Stan - Good to see you are doing well. I remember your 964 from the days we had at Spa with Frank et al Thumb

Ref the climate switches I think someone posted on here a place that can refurb. Or you can get replacements from Design911 However one price says £63 and the other £96 which look like the same ones Dont know

Hello - yes, I remember you well! How is that lovely Jubi of yours? We went up to Frank's place for Oil Cooled in August and it was good to catch up with the guys. You will have to try and make it next year if you haven't been yet. :thumbs:

AC buttons replaced last night. Not too difficult and some good guides to be found on YouTube. You have to be a bit aggressive with popping the buttons out but the new ones pop in nicely. They were a bit stiff at first and would not self centre after pushing up, so I sprayed a little GT85 on the sides and the plungers and overnight they seem to have eased off and work perfectly now.

Control panel ready for surgery:

5xsimM1.jpg

The fan and temperature sensor was also thick with dust, which probably explains why I thought the temperature in the car was a bit erratic. You can see the dust build up from behind here:

aSHjZ3C.jpg

And in the fan:

zo6Z71J.jpg

That was all blown out and cleaned and the unit re-assembled. Another satisfying job ticked off!

eLqRA3j.jpg

This weekend I will be replacing the engine mounts and doing a minor service with Millers oil. As the airbox is off I thought I might as well replace the air filter and drive belt at the same time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SpkM3
Back