Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The time has come...Selling my 993 C4 manual Coupe

Kimbo said:
A sad day, but well done.

I remember my little son crying when my first 993 went out of the drive. Broke my heart. He was only 5 and I thought he preferred the Jeep.

Cheers Kim
My 7 yr old kept pulling at the heart strings to by saying "I'll miss the 993"
He's pretty much known it all his life.
That was the toughest thing !

Still it's done now and on to the next chapter (what ever that will be)
:thumb:

know this feeling far too well ,i sold my 1991 964 C2 in Slate gray with beautiful linen inter 32'000 miles in 2006 i was 34. I remember the day like it was yesterday ,driving the 146 miles down the M1 where i'd meet the buyer at the train station. He was stood outside Pete was his name nice chap in his 50's. Now if i was buying this car or any car i'd want to have a really good look around it first but not Pete he just stood there and said "now thats one good looking car" i said "would you like a drive in this Pete" he said "no thanks" and on doing so he pulled out a brown envolope with 16,500 pounds cash in 20 pound notes ( all checked first of course)
He shuck my hand jumped in the car and off he went leaving me to catch the train back to Sheffield ( payed for by Pete)
I was left with this sunken feeling because i knew i'd not be able to aford to buy another car like that again for a very long time.
Well 10 years have passed now where not one day has passed where i havent thought about my 964 and the feeling it gave me everytime i drove it.
Fast forward 10 years and now back in ownership of a 993 WOW the feeling is still the same. I know these two cars drive different but it's still there this magical feeling the air cooled give you.
I'm totally totally hooked and i know one day Adam you will own another because nothing else with four wheels can make you melt like these cars do. :worship:

You are all making me feel sad :lol:

I have been talking to a dealer about selling my 993 2s and 996 c4s to buy a GT4 and you are making me think I am making a mistake :?

I am sorry you have had to sell Adam it looked a lovely car but I think we are all lucky that we have at least had the experience of owning a air cooled Porsche.

Nimrod said:
I have been talking to a dealer about selling my 993 2s and 996 c4s to buy a GT4 and you are making me think I am making a mistake :?

GT4 all the way chum :thumb:

Me too, onwards and upwards, don't look back. There are more fun cars out there.

But when to take the plunge? Prices seem to be sliding at last, but still a 10 bags plus premium.

What will you use as a daily, the GT4? Take it the 993 4S is staying? 8)

Hi James

Apologises to Adam for hijacking his thread.

I have an Audi I used as a daily before buying the 96 and I would keep this for now until after winter.

Yes the 93 4s is staying, its only just come home and even the good lady grudgingly agrees it is a tidy car. She actually quite likes it now she's forgotten how much it cost me. Now if I can ever afford a shinny 993RS I may think about selling :D

In many ways I prefer driving the 2s, it's lighter, I prefer the brakes and having had the benefit of over £12k spent on it the handling it is great fun. But its done over 90k miles and though its had loads of work done from gearbox, diff and suspension people don't buy on condition but mileage .

If I want a GT4 or 3 something has to go as I can't justify spending the cash even with my man maths and space is becoming an issue . Also I would end up single if I kept both 93's and a GT4 arrived on the drive !

My thinking is one 93 and a GT4 gives me the best of both worlds for similar money. The 93 would be the last car I sold but maybe owning two is silly however different I think they are.

I am not rich and one day I may well need to sell them all if we need the cash for family stuff but I do realize how lucky I am to be even thinking about this stuff.

The GT4 test drive was interesting and anybody who got one at list is a lucky sod. I found most of what has been written is true, the gearing is stupidly long but it doesn't seem to matter once you actually get your foot down, you just don't use 5th or 6th when pushing on. The front end is fantastic and I loved that it felt smaller than a 991.
I am not sure just how much difference there is but on a B/C road it really feels like you can throw it down the road like the old 911's.

The few negatives I found were, the brake pedal is a little high for heel and toeing at road speeds, and I seemed to be sat quite close to the steering wheel to reach the pedals and be comfortable. One odd thing was on a very bumpy C road cornering a couple of times it felt like the rear had a little skip.
It wasn't nervous and the first time I thought I had imagined it but maybe that is why they fitted the helper springs. Centre Gravity thought it maybe the PASM getting confused momentarily.

Obviously it would be fantastic if it had the gt3 engine but it feels stronger than 380hp and sounds great, it suits the car and Porsche were never going to give it the same engine.

I really enjoyed it, very different to a 993 not the fasted car for the money but definitely a true sports car. I think Porsche got this one right :thumb:

Apologies to the OP again and maybe I should start a new thread....

This is especially interesting as the other weekend I went on a blast through Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset up to Cheddar Gorge and then across to Wilton Wake up on the Sunday morning.

We had a GT4, my C2S a 996 C4S and an M3 CSL..... I loved the GT4 but before I had seen you have 2 993s I was about to reply saying don't do it!! The GT4 and CSL were obviously much quicker than the C2S and C4S but I can't help but feel I was having more fun peddling the old girl along at "social speeds".... for me the 993 hits a sweet spot in terms of pace, feedback and driver enjoyment for a road car.

The GT4 is a lovely machine and probably the only new car I would consider owning beyond the family/dog wagons.... as you say what a lovely dilemma!

I think it's me that should apologise to the OP Jodes, I agree with you IF I wouldn't still have a 993 I wouldn't be thinking of changing.

In many ways I wish the 2s was the low mile car as I love it as does my daughter but though mechanically great after spending a small fortune the 4s is factory standard and close to mint so it's staying. It may even get a few reversible tweaks :lol:

I am still unsure about whether to swop I change my mind every day, if I could I would just add the GT4 but it's not an option I am afraid . Even if I had the money for the car I don't have the garage space for three .

No need for apologies guys
Agree with the comments re the 993 being a sweet spot! It's an awesome machine but just felt like the right time for a change for me.
Good luck to all of you whatever you decide !!

Nimrod said:
I think it's me that should apologise to the OP Jodes, I agree with you IF I wouldn't still have a 993 I wouldn't be thinking of changing.

In many ways I wish the 2s was the low mile car as I love it as does my daughter but though mechanically great after spending a small fortune the 4s is factory standard and close to mint so it's staying. It may even get a few reversible tweaks :lol:

I am still unsure about whether to swop I change my mind every day, if I could I would just add the GT4 but it's not an option I am afraid . Even if I had the money for the car I don't have the garage space for three .

Never really got the low mile thing, if the 2s is a better car and has a a few miles under its belt you can actually drive the thing without fear that you are wasting money with every mile. Sell the 4s to some rich investor who will pony up a premium and stick it in a dehumidified jail until he looses his ass when the next generation don't want to pay a kings ransom for mid 90's Porsche!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back