Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Finally, IMS, is this the answer and ultimate closure.

.......and isn't really relevant for the 3.4l engine.

rottenbend said:
Niall996 said:
I see someone has resurrected this thread and in it 911uK forum users are advocating a Low Temperature Thermometer (no, I don't know what that is either or why the car just doesn't come with one in the first place) which didn't get mentioned once here as far as I can recall. It shows how different stuff gets put out there and the varying advice can be a bit confusing to the non mechanical amongst us whereas I'm sure it all makes perfect sense to the engineers/mechanics.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=101457&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=m96&start=20

The low temp stat is one of things recommended to reduce bore score. I don't think it has anything to do with IMS. :thumb:

Ah, ok. Thanks

alex yates said:
infrasilver said:
There is another larger (or taller) bearing that requires the crankcases to be split to be fitted, the other two are just single row 996 3.6 and double row 996 3.4 standard diameter.

:hand: Now my dear friend. You know that's not true.

There is a solution to have the larger bearing fitted without splitting the engine.

Watch the clip in this link: http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/343829 Porsche IMS Boring Tool for Installing IMS Bearing.aspx

:lol: :grin: :floor:

That is seriously uncomfortable viewing.

This thread has been a great read, thanks to all that participated. In particular, thank you Baz for your balanced and knowledgeable contributions. As a new Porsche owner it's refreshing to hear a non-commercial, and open minded approach to these cars.

JTT said:
This thread has been a great read, thanks to all that participated. In particular, thank you Baz for your balanced and knowledgeable contributions. As a new Porsche owner it's refreshing to hear a non-commercial, and open minded approach to these cars.

:thumbs:

I was just browsing some of the magazines and came across this pearl of wisdom from someone called Josh Barnett. And here's the irony. He's a writer in a very well known magazine called Total911, devoted to all things 911, a big fan of the 911, Total911 is a magazine that exists because the 911 exists. You would think the staff there would know a thing or two about 911's. But he wouldn't buy a 997! Nope. IMS. Deal breaker. This isn't internet forum hysteria but the supposedly sensible reasoning print media who continuously driving the scare story of IMS. Meanwhile the other two writers had no issue choosing a 997 as their top 30K version. For any potential buyer who is relatively new to the 911 world, you can imagine how confusing it must be.

"I was close to choosing a 997.1 Carrera 2S like Lee, however the (very unlikely) possibility of IMS failure still puts me off."

http://www.total911.com/the-total-911-teams-ideal-30000-porsche-911-garage/

Niall996 said:
I was just browsing some of the magazines and came across this pearl of wisdom from someone called Josh Barnett. And here's the irony. He's a writer in a very well known magazine called Total911, devoted to all things 911, a big fan of the 911, Total911 is a magazine that exists because the 911 exists. You would think the staff there would know a thing or two about 911's. But he wouldn't buy a 997! Nope. IMS. Deal breaker. This isn't internet forum hysteria but the supposedly sensible reasoning print media who continuously driving the scare story of IMS. Meanwhile the other two writers had no issue choosing a 997 as their top 30K version. For any potential buyer who is relatively new to the 911 world, you can imagine how confusing it must be.

"I was close to choosing a 997.1 Carrera 2S like Lee, however the (very unlikely) possibility of IMS failure still puts me off."

I used to read Total911. Emphasis on used.

'911&Porsche World' and 'GT Porsche' I still rate very highly though. :thumbs:

New996buyer said:
Niall996 said:

Total911 did a big buyers guide on the 996 C4S recently, maybe only three or four months ago. In it, they were absolutely categorical in stating that the 3.6 was the far more reliable improved unit over the 3.4. I sent an email to them asking for the source of their information. I was curious as to how they had come to this conclusion. Its a big big statement to make in world full of fans enthusiasts an potential buyers all looking for clarity and the essential facts. A big statement without a shred of evidence as far as i can tell. We can handle the truth! We just need to know what it is. Never got a reply.

Niall996 said:
Total911 did a big buyers guide on the 996 C4S recently, maybe only three or four months ago. In it, they were absolutely categorical in stating that the 3.6 was the far more reliable improved unit over the 3.4. I sent an email to them asking for the source of their information. I was curious as to how they had come to this conclusion. Its a big big statement to make in world full of fans enthusiasts an potential buyers all looking for clarity and the essential facts. A big statement without a shred of evidence as far as i can tell. We can handle the truth! We just need to know what it is. Never got a reply.

They are no different to the majority of the media - mediocre at best. It's all about selling copies and advertising revenue - the truth and technical accuracy are not really at the top of the list.

Niall996 said:
New996buyer said:

Their editorial technical interest is woeful so sadly not surprised. I'm no Gina Purcell fan that's for sure.

Thing is Niall, there is always a baseline of unreliability with any Porsche. And that baseline for 911's has always been lower than you'd expect for the budgets or the volume involved. A 911 of the 997 or 996 era even with an engine rebuild is still a total cost bargain.

But the vast majority of spend (in the high 90's % mark) will be most likely on fuel, tyres, suspension parts and servicing. All will need engne work at some point. But that's only because they (as a model) last so long. Over time all parts wear and will need repairing or replacement. Bore scoring I personally classify as premature ageing so bringing forward what would be an inevitable expense anyway.

This has been a great thread and has confirmed to me what wonderful machines the 996/997 series are. I suspect we're 5-7 years out from an engine build going from 75-100% of total vehicle value for the NB cars (50-80% for WB) to under 30% for all. Then it'll all be about 'boats missed' etc :thumbs:

Apologies if I'm talking bollocks but aren't the bearings designed to be lubricated by grease not oil? Wouldn't ingress of oil wash out whatever grease is in there?

Pauliedg said:
Apologies if I'm talking bollocks but aren't the bearings designed to be lubricated by grease not oil? Wouldn't ingress of oil wash out whatever grease is in there?

The sealed in grease turns into a grinding paste over time and the longer lasting bearings seem to be the ones that have let a little oil in over time to wash the grease out, better still is a bearing without seals that lets fresh oil in daily.

My two penneth......new bearing, no seals, DOF kit. Belt and braces? who knows but a bearing with both splash and forced oil feed gives me peace of mind.

Search "my ims tale" on Pistonheads for pics/story.

Regards.

Cgit said:
My two penneth......new bearing, no seals, DOF kit. Belt and braces? who knows but a bearing with both splash and forced oil feed gives me peace of mind.

Search "my ims tale" on Pistonheads for pics/story.

Regards.

It's unnecessary - the bearing sits in oil.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kashmir
Back