Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust olive repairable? Or weld tailpipes?

kp278

Monza
Hi, I sheared the bolt off the tailpipe clamp. Tailpipe had to come off. Slight crack in olive.

Can I Liquid Metal the olive and place it back inside the tailpipe? Or should I have the tailpipe welded back on to the exhaust?

I understand the Olives are like rocking horse poo.

Thanks!

Attachments

• img_9260_200.jpeg
    img_9260_200.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 273
One member was making these - I am sure someone will be along soon.

If you know someone who can weld they could probably repair the olive, they'd need to cut a chamfer in both sides and then dress finish it but it would be a lot stronger then liquid metal.

My olives disintegrated so I made a set of temporary ones using large stainless jubilee clips. I ordered jubilee clips that have the slightly raised threads, instead of the ones with a slot for a thread, and simply cut them and shaped them to the correct size. I intended them to be temp measure until I found olives but a couple of years later they were still solid.

My captive nut came off and the captive nut bracket snapped and I tack welded it all back together and it held together.

Good luck.

I was thinking about how tight it was when it came out and figuring it must be fairly rammed in there I just reused as is and it was fine. Now finally I can adjust my stupid low tips.

One side at least. Bet the other side disintegrates.

I also had to contend with a sheared bolt head on the clamp, but rather than try and drill it out I dremel'd the weld and twisted the nut off then just used a regular nut and bolt.

Attachments

• img_9268_862.jpeg
    img_9268_862.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 217
  • img_9269_136.jpeg
    img_9269_136.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 217
I did have a batch of these made up but they sold out, that said I have had quite a few who need them so I will lok to get a batch made up in the next month or so. Unfortunately i will have to raise the price from wgat it was before though, as the cost of everything to make them has gone up which is probably not a surprise to everyone, the material alone is more than tripled.

Hello. It would be really great if you could make some more. What would they cost please? One of mine broke last weekend, whilst removing the OEM tips and I managed to get it welded, however I would still be interested in having a new pair if possible. I'll be putting the new tips on this weekend, so hopefully I don't get any more breakages.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

I tried those Copper Olives but they didn't work for my 997.1 C2S.

They are a tad on the small side so when cut the gap is much larger than the originals, but that is not why it didn't work for me. I found that these Copper olives are simply too thin so that even when fully bolted up, then tail pipes are still loose and won't grip the olive or tail pipe.

It was worth a try, but no use for me unfortunately.

I tried those Copper Olives but they didn't work for my 997.1 C2S.

They are a tad on the small side so when cut the gap is much larger than the originals, but that is not why it didn't work for me. I found that these Copper olives are simply too thin so that even when fully bolted up, then tail pipes are still loose and won't grip the olive or tail pipe.

It was worth a try, but no use for me unfortunately.
good feedback, thanks

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back