Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust smoke test, leaks found.

Gwsinc

Montreal
I smoke tested my exhaust yesterday, revealing one leaky cat-heat exchanger gasket and 2 leaky cat-muffler exhaust olives/clamps. The extent of the 2 cat-muffler leaks surprised me as I was very careful to orientate the olives as perfectly as I could last time the exhaust was off.

Thinking about it now, the olives and both mating surfaces should really be perfectly smooth for a good seal but I suspect most of us just re-use the old existing slightly rusty olives, so many may have a similar leak.

New gaskets and olives are on the way so will report back once fitted.

Word of warning tho, the aeroquip clamps state their torque specs are 20-21 nm while the 993 tech specs booklet says 25-30nm, don't be tempted to torque past 21 nm, guess what happens when you follow the booklet...

interesting. would love to see a write up or video one day of how you have been doing all these smoke tests. I think I have a leak somewhere (rough idle sometimes) so might invest in a smoke tester.

nk993 said:
interesting. would love to see a write up or video one day of how you have been doing all these smoke tests. I think I have a leak somewhere (rough idle sometimes) so might invest in a smoke tester.

I'll repeat the test and post on my instagram (below) once the new parts come in. For info this is the smoke machine I bought: https://amzn.eu/d/jh877TH

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back