Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Exhaust manifold change

graham.hassall said:
Thanks for this detailed post. Can you tell me how you attached the jig to the right hand side as all of the studs had sheared?

Thanks

Graham

The jig is fixed in position by either screwing onto remaining 5mm or so of a sheared bolt or ideally two or by indexing into an un damaged tapping where a bolt came out OK or any combination of those two conditions. Download the stomski instructions for full clarification

ontheloop said:
Great write up and very thorough job. I replaced mine and was lucky to only shear two.

:thumb:

Lucky indeed Best case scenario! I tried to cover worst case scenario in my post as it can and does happen I'm afraid that several will shear.

tinkertaylor said:
In the process of changing to Dansk boxes at the moment, every bolt has been a struggle and looking at the manifold bolts I expect the same sort of experience as you. A job well done though, jig looks to be the only way to go having seen the Hartech photos of a hand drilled repair.

I agree Hand drilling for me is an absolute no. Jig is your best chance of getting it right. It's one of those jobs that needs a degree of competence and forethought and patience. As I pointed out in my post I am not advocating that anyone who doesn't have that degree of competence or indeed experience should consider tackling this job. It needs to be done right so if anyone doesn't have total confidence in their abilities then I strongly recommend letting a good Independent do the job for them

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pands
Back