Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen 2 - full exhaust removal or JUST manifold removal???

Mac68

Nurburgring
I'm hoping I can get some advice on accessing and removing the exhaust headers/manifolds on my 997.2.

I bought the car knowing it had a couple of snapped bolts on the manifolds and want to have a go at repairing these myself. I'm fairly cofident that once the manifolds are removed I can effectively use the Stomski jig to remove the snapped studs however my concern is removing just the manifolds.

I've removed, and aluslipped, all the non snapped bolts so know that I'm dealing with only 3 snapped bolts but spread over two manifolds. One manifold has the stud at either end snapped and the other manifold has the bolt nearest the middle of the car snapped off.

The nuts and bolts on the connection between the manifolds and center silencer are completely crud and will not undo and will need to be ground, or more likely, power sanded off.

My question relates to access to these nut and bolt heads. If I take the bumper off will I have access to get a power sander in to the parts in red, leaving the built in collar highlighted in yellow, and still have space to remove the either the thread and nut head OR the head of the bolt????

Any input or advice most welcome :)

rusty.jpg

Yes, it's pretty easy to do that with the bumper and heat shields off. I swapped my whole system for a Topgear x-pipe and switchable side boxes so I renewed all the bolts and clamps anyway.

But I used a Dremel with a cutting disk on it to remove the old bolts, as it was easier to control and get access than with a small angle grinder.

I would have changed my headers / cats too if TG had made theirs available at the time. So do keep us posted on how you get on with the Stormsk jig, as I may well be following you down that same path soon!

:thumbs:

Thanks JonnieD for the input.

Do you think I'll need to remove the side mufflers to get access to the top bolt on the 3 nut/bolt manifold connection?

I intend using a Powerfile or 4" grinder, I imagine a powerfile is easier as it's only 13mm wide, so can fit into small gaps.

Cheers

Mac68 said:
Thanks JonnieD for the input.

Do you think I'll need to remove the side mufflers to get access to the top bolt on the 3 nut/bolt manifold connection?

I intend using a Powerfile or 4" grinder, I imagine a powerfile is easier as it's only 13mm wide, so can fit into small gaps.

Cheers

You're welcome :thumb:

I think you could get the bolts sorted with side mufflers in place, but I'd have thought that access to the heads would be easier for when you do the headwork and use the jig. Maybe try it first, and then remove if you have to.

A power file would be fine, but a 4" grinder less so I think.

Thx again JonnieD

I guess some it will be suck it and see.

Cheers

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back