Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine cover struts

w4hsa

Trainee
Simple question, do the struts on the engine cover lift it up or just hold it open once fully opened?

Mine seem to offer resistance to open and then hold in place but don't offer any assistance?

Are they shot?

w4hsa said:
Simple question, do the struts on the engine cover lift it up or just hold it open once fully opened?

Mine seem to offer resistance to open and then hold in place but don't offer any assistance?

Are they shot?

Sounds very much like they might be.

Have a read of this thread;

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1616029

Thanks PZero, makes interesting reading.

My struts hold the lid open fine but don't seem to have the power to raise the lid on their own?

Is this normal or are they slowly failing with the next stage being they won't hold the lid open?

They have always done this so not sure if it's normal on my 2014

Thanks Andy

w4hsa said:
Thanks PZero, makes interesting reading.

My struts hold the lid open fine but don't seem to have the power to raise the lid on their own?

Is this normal or are they slowly failing with the next stage being they won't hold the lid open?

They have always done this so not sure if it's normal on my 2014

Thanks Andy

Time for a change I'd say.
As mentioned in the link, others have experienced a similar occurrence as yourself, me included with the same era of 991.
Easy peasy fix. Straightforward swap out, all detailed in the link. So simple even T8 would take this on.

I've just had this in the last couple of weeks, notified my dealer with my service last week and they have ordered 2 new struts to fix under warranty.

Seems to be a common issue, which is surprising given the weight and the fact its not opened frequently like a boot.

Well after listening to peoples advice and exploring the options I have purchased a pair of engine cover strutts.

I looked into originals made by Stabilus - approx £90 delivered or aftermarket cheap copy from Amazon £24.

Now given this is not an important part, not safety critical and can be changed easily I have gone with the cheap option and intend to test their fitment and durability.

Ordered last night, on the doorstep tonight (Amazon).

Quality looks good, very similar size and spec to originals (except they have pressure lol)

Fitted in less than 5 mins - work as intended. Watching brief on durability (old ones had very little resistance in comparison)

Hope this helps somebody in same situation

Attachments

• img_9167_146.jpeg
    img_9167_146.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 511
  • img_9166_806.jpeg
    img_9166_806.jpeg
    359.6 KB · Views: 511
:? I wasn't aware the lid was supposed to fully raise on it's own. I thought the switch cracks open the lid and you then lift it with the struts then holding it in place, like the front lid? If the struts hold it up I'm not sure why you need new ones.

The old struts actually gave resistance to opening the engine cover (think of sucking up oil into a syringe) as they had definately lost all pressure.

The new ones actually assist in raising the lid, you still need to open manually but you can feels the struts helping (especially over the last 50% of travel to fully open).

Andy

The old struts actually gave resistance to opening the engine cover (think of sucking up oil into a syringe) as they had definately lost all pressure.

The new ones actually assist in raising the lid, you still need to open manually but you can feels the struts helping (especially over the last 50% of travel to fully open).

Andy

Ooft, I typed a very detailed reply and it didn't go through so not going to waist anymore time trying again.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back