Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant Crossover pipe leaks.

deMort

Monaco
This is an issue that's becoming more common .. 997, 987 ..

A general look at the pipes is needed .. if the ally pipe at the top has ballooned up .. started cracking then yes you need to replace the set of pipes ..

I do see just the bottom pipe leaking though .. this enters a plastic pipe and as such you have a chance of just replacing the single rubber pipe from it .

Rule of thumb .. 1 in 10 wont come out without damage to the plastic pipe so Always be prepared to change them all .

Images show what i'm talking about but if you can get away with just a lower pipe then you have just saved yourself about £1K at a garage .

Loosen the rad cap to relive pressure then do back up .. remove the metal retaining spring with a small screwdriver .. lever upwards and outwards at the ends of it .

Gently lever the metal collar with a screwdriver whist pulling on the pipe .. work around the pipe trying to break the seal .. be gentle .. try not to damage the plastic pipe .

if it comes out then wipe clean the inner surface of the plastic pipe .. refit the metal retaining clip and refit the new rubber pipe .

I use white grease when refitting but rubber grease will be sufficient .

As below .. on removing the arch liner i found it was leaking at both ends .. unusual but the same cleaning is required .

White grease is a porsche only item .. i need to get the part number so bear with me on that .

Large amounts of wax oil or similar will help protect it going forward .

Attachments

• coolant_pipe_5_268.jpg
    coolant_pipe_5_268.jpg
    662.4 KB · Views: 6,751
  • coolant_pipe_4_653.jpg
    coolant_pipe_4_653.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 6,749
  • coolant_pipe_3_436.jpg
    coolant_pipe_3_436.jpg
    591.6 KB · Views: 6,749
  • coolant_pipe_2_171.jpg
    coolant_pipe_2_171.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 6,748
  • coolant_pipe_1_552.jpg
    coolant_pipe_1_552.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 6,749
I still need to do mine, the info is really useful. 👍

Having mine done in a few weeks as preventative maintenance, while i'm having a service done. i've asked for the whole lot to be done regardless given it's such a common failure issue.

This is exactly what I'm suffering from. Just from that lower pipe in the passenger wheel arch. I'll get the part ordered. Could you provide the part number just to make this post complete?

Coolant cross over pipes

Hello there , my 997 C2S is booked in with Precision Porsche on Wednesday for the centre and rear water pipes to be changed.
Will keep you posted , heard all good things about them :thumbs:

This is a job for mine before summer also.

Wish I were closer to precision Porsche.

You're in good hands :thumb: :puh:

Precision P did my pipes :eek: last year. Great job 👏

Sean-B said:
Could you provide the part number just to make this post complete?

The part number is on the pipe .. as it's a difficult one to see on the parts list then i often remove it for the number .. each side is different .

@ DJEL1

I'm afraid i have a Targa roof strip next week so will be busy on that .. my colleagues are however better than me !!

997 Coolant pipes

No worries, I am sure he will do a good job 👍

MOT today and passed but apparently a bad coolant leak identified.

I've not done many miles in the last year, been driving great but booked in later this week. Hope it's not too painful

Hovis said:
MOT today and passed but apparently a bad coolant leak identified.

I've not done many miles in the last year, been driving great but booked in later this week. Hope it's not too painful

About £1k give or take at an indie, probably double that at an OPC! Had all the front pipes done last year for peace of mind before a Euro trip after DeMort advised they were not in good shape at my last service :thumb:

I had mine done on the gen2 it was around £1k, its when the leak is in the section that goes over the rear axle it gets expensive as its an engine drop 8hrs labour , the parts are only a couple of hundred quid . :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up.
Topped up the coolant and dropped it to my closest Indie, AWB , didn't want to try to make a longer run to Zentrum.

AWB are gonna take a look over the next few days but advised it could be engine out.

If it is out, any advice on other jobs to do?
Some corrosion on some brake lines, previously easy ones were done.

It's not really getting driven and criminal number of miles since last MOT but long term car 2008 Targa 4 with about 75k on the clock.

@demort thing the leak is actually the front pipe section. Was mentioned front suspension needed to be dropped? Any thought.

so the next thing is "the bolts are seized on your coffin arms so we will have to replace them too". :frustrated:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back