Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Condensation/misting up

CycleSi

I have a 2015 991.1 turbo S (41k miles) with a Panoramic sunroof and am getting some condensation on the inside - primarily on the windscreen and sometimes on the doors. It didn't do it last winter though. I suspect I have a bit of a leak as the carpet behind the driver's seat is a little damp thus probably causing the condensation.

I've had the air-con checked and re-gassed and I also dried it out with a portable heater for a few hours and that has definitely helped. I have also checked the sunroof, but can't see anything obvious although I couldn't find/see any drainage holes.

Any tips/advice please?

Check under the rear seats.
Get your hand right under the bases and check the foam is dry.
There are a couple of rubbers from the engine compartment that can leak.
I had a similar issue, took ages to find on my 991

991 ...

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=143770&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Underbody drains and door seal issues ..

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=135218

981 which is the same system .

You don't want any sensible amount of water under the seats .. control units both sides which obviously don't like being wet !

Just an FYI .. the carpets on all modern Porsches have at least 1 inch of foam or more in places .. a giant sponge .

For a dehumidifier to work then air must pass over the damp area .. in this case it can't .. carpets out and left to dry for a few days is the only way of removing the water .

Many arguments with service advisors who seem to know better over the years but no air flow and they won't dry out !!

I'm not wrong here i'm afraid .

UPDATE
I did a thorough check today and all of the carpets are dry bizzarely including the one behind the driver's seat which I am certain felt damp 10 days ago.
I am going to monitor things and see how it goes, but I am a bit stumped at the moment.

Might be worth looking behind the wheel arch liner to see if theres any wet leaves stuck in front of the cabin pressure vents. I was suffering from really bad condensation (all windows) whenever we'd had a few days of rain; after clearing this mess out, the problem seems to have gone.

Attachments

• img_5032_157.jpeg
    img_5032_157.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 734
@HalfDay - please excuse my ignorance, but are these cabin pressure vents on both sides?

CycleSi said:
@HalfDay - please excuse my ignorance, but are these cabin pressure vents on both sides?

Yep, there's vents on both sides. That was the O/S on mine, the N/S wasn't anywhere near as bad.

I am having similar issues; I have a 991.1 coupe, no sunroof and no rear wiper; there is a wet/damp patch is in the rear seat footwell behind the drivers seat. Doesnt appear to be water under the rear seat. I've poured water over the drivers side of the car (with door shut!) over the door and rear quarter panel and I have pulled away internal panels by rear speaker and B panel but can see no leaks. The beading between the roof panels that runs along the car is sort of loose but the water seems to flow down the back of the car anyway.
Furthermore the sill grommet/valves underneath the car are either removed or free of grit/dirt - nothing comes out
Any help or advice greatly appreciated, thanks

Definitely double check the AC drains as the most likely suspect

plus check the cabin filter, if it's damp then it's the air con drains

Thanks, will try that although damp is behind the driver seat. Doesnt appear to be in driver foot well. Will revert

Thanks, will try that although damp is behind the driver seat. Doesnt appear to be in driver foot well. Will revert
Definitely double check the AC drains as the most likely suspect

plus check the cabin filter, if it's damp then it's the air con drains

All dry in passenger footwear and cabin filter is dry so not the AC.
Any other ideas appreciated

hose down test ?

Following this as I’ve had some instances of excessive misting up after washing the car, or after being driven in cold weather.

No dampness under any seats. Interior thankfully seems bone dry. Car sits unused on the drive a lot, especially while the roads are salty.

Last edited:
hose down test ?
Don’t rate the hose down test. I had a leak and the Porsche dealership couldn’t find anything with a hose down test but still had a leak when it rained

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porschezilla
Back