Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Centre Caps and dirty calipers

Gollom122

Suzuka
I am freshening up the car for summer -;

Front Bumper respray
Aero splitter painting with plasti dip
Replaced wobbly window switch
Replaced rear arch Stone Guards
Alloys cleaned inside and out, also stone chips touched up
Arches thoroughly cleaned while wheels were off
Calipers cleaned - not very well, cannot remove what looks like fluid run marks :( (advice appreciated)
Center caps are looking a bit tired, but don't want to spend hundreds on OPC ones - anyone know of decent copies?

The run marks on the calipers were probably caused by some overzealous application of wheel cleaner in the past. It might be improved with some cutting compound.

Did you take the arch liners off when you gave the arches a good clean up? Keen to do that on mine, but wondering how hard it is to remove and refit the liners.

Robertb said:
The run marks on the calipers were probably caused by some overzealous application of wheel cleaner in the past. It might be improved with some cutting compound.

Did you take the arch liners off when you gave the arches a good clean up? Keen to do that on mine, but wondering how hard it is to remove and refit the liners.
Good call on the cutting compound, but the run mark is also down the decal.

Wheel arch liners stayed on. I did resit one of the fronts as it did not look right, . Fairly easy to remove - I must say there was nothing to clean in there (just a fan and some wiring). I just used my wheel brush followed by an old 'dreadlock' mitten and finished off with tyre dressing. I was tempted to get the karcher into it but thought better of it as I do usually hose out the wheel arch wings anyway.

be careful what you use on the porsche logo as it easily comes off, i think i wiped one off with wd40 once.
Maybe try a bit of normal polish like autoglym which has cleaners in it but no abrasives?

seeforez said:
be careful what you use on the porsche logo as it easily comes off, i think i wiped one off with wd40 once.
Maybe try a bit of normal polish like autoglym which has cleaners in it but no abrasives?

A lot of people don't know the powers of WD40. It's a very good product to remove adhesive.

I'll take it easy!

Calipers cleaned - not very well, cannot remove what looks like fluid run marks Sad (advice appreciated)

I guess the mark could have been caused by a brake fluid leak from the bleed nipple? If so, it will likely need a re-paint. You could carefully try AG paint restorer or T-Cut.

TonyC911 said:
I guess the mark could have been caused by a brake fluid leak from the bleed nipple?

This is quite likely if the paint has been taken off completely.

OP, I think we discussed Plastidip for the splitter on another thread, well I couldn't buy center caps to match my wheels so I Plastidipped them as well! You still see the relief of the Porsche crest from the embossed cap.

Not sure if I like them or not yet but can just peel it off if I don't!

IMAG0220%201_zpscfglhua9.jpg

Robertb said:

I did the rears. Quite easy once you work out which way to pull them to get them off once all fastenings undone. All sorts of crud behind them that would just be holding moisture. Haven't tried the fronts yet - looked like a bit more of a jigsaw :? I might have a go when I've plucked up the courage to remove the front PU as well.......

The front arches aren't too bad - depending upon which bumper you have. My Aero bumper meant that I had to remove 3 screws on the lower liner from the arch and a further 3 underneath - this removes the lower panel then a bolt and another screw for the upper piece.

Thanks Gollom I'll give it a try if it ever stops raining :thumb:

Hi I got these centre caps from Amazon they are fine so far !! I will try and find where I got them from as there are several to choose from

Attachments

• 047_258.jpg
    047_258.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 4,245
Could you post a better pic to of them please along with the link?

Calipers cleaned up quite well with WD40 and paper towel. Also tried clay bar which helped.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeeRacer
Back